Free gym membership for under-fives-found on yahoo

Found 18th Mar 2009
A city has announced plans to provide free gym memberships to thousands of children under the age of five to halt rising obesity levels.

Activities for babies and toddlers, including dancing and basic ball exercises, will be offered at 13 Lifestyles fitness centres run by Liverpool City Council.

The council believes Liverpool is the first city in the UK to offer such a wide ranging programme.

It said it took the decision following research which found half of 11-year-old boys and 40% of 11-year-old girls in Liverpool are overweight. The study also found that one in 20 of Liverpool's children is clinically obese and one in three does not do enough exercise.

Council leader Warren Bradley said: "As a nation I believe it is our primary duty to do all we can to give our children the healthiest possible start in life and in Liverpool we are exploring every possible avenue.

"Nowhere else in the UK is delivering a health and fitness programme on this scale and, in the build up to Britain hosting the next Olympics, it would be a triumph if we could provide every child in the country free access to their local leisure centre.

"If Liverpool can do it so can other towns and cities."
In addition to the under-fives programme, called Futures, the council said around 1,600 low-income families will also be given free Lifestyles membership so that older children and parents can make use of the fitness centres.

Youngsters aged five to 16 already get free Lifestyles membership as do the over 60s.

The total number of children in the city to benefit from the scheme stands at around 65,000, the council said.

6 Comments

lol first thing i thought of was five year olds doing bench presses lol

Original Poster

ha ha ha

Original Poster

Sheep87;4671885

lol first thing i thought of was five year olds doing bench presses lol

off topic-thanks for the cds and the dvd-OH and myself loved them.x

Banned

Nice idea, but you have to target the parents who fatten up their kids. Parents who take care of their own weight and health don't have fat kids.

FilthAndFurry;4671904

Nice idea, but you have to target the parents who fatten up their kids. … Nice idea, but you have to target the parents who fatten up their kids. Parents who take care of their own weight and health don't have fat kids.

this

is a good point.

Leer;4671901

off topic-thanks for the cds and the dvd-OH and myself loved them.x

no worries, glad you like!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best place to buy a domain33
    2. Best watches under £500?66
    3. Buying Christmas tree after Christmas22