Free Home Fire Safety Check from the Fire Service (including fitting of two free smoke alarms)

5 replies
Found 10th Jan 2010
With the recent cold weather we've had, its caused us all to turn up the heat, put on our gas fires, electric blankets, log burners etc, so I thought I'd make people aware of this. Yes, I know this isnt technically a deal (more of an offer or freebie) but if one person takes out this offer, I know that this post was worth it.

You may have seen the recent awareness campaign on TV; Toxic smoke can kill your child in under a minute

In a house fire, you might think that the smoke would wake you and give you and your family time to escape. But after just two or three breaths of toxic smoke, youre unconscious. Your lungs fill up and you cant breathe. Just like drowning.

The home fire safety check will take about half an hour of your time and could very well save you and your familys lives. When attending, firefighters will be wearing uniforms and carrying identification cards.

The Free Home Fire Safety Check
When you book a home fire safety check, firefighters will visit your home at an allocated time and accompany you around every room in your property with the aim of:

- Identifying and making you aware of the potential risks in your home
- Making sure you know what to do in order to reduce or prevent these risks
- Helping you put together an escape plan in case a fire breaks out in the future
- Ensuring you have a working smoke alarm and if you don't, we will fit a 'free' smoke alarm

I had my Fire Safety Check yesterday. Not only did they fit two smoke alarms for me, they also sat down with my three children and talked about the dangers of starting fires and what to do if they discovered one. Although they already knew this, it really reinforced the message as they were in their uniforms and came in a fire engine.

To book your free Fire Safety Check, click the below link and complete the online form
fire.gov.uk/Hom…htm

Alternatively, you can find your local fire service here and call them to book a visit
fireservice.co.uk/inf…php

Government Fire Campaign Video below
firekills.direct.gov.uk/adv…htm

5 Comments

Original Poster

http://firekills.direct.gov.uk/images/content/homepage/homepage_main.jpg

Thanks for this. How do you know if you are eligible for a free smoke alarm?

vegasbaby;7499684

Thanks for this. How do you know if you are eligible for a free smoke … Thanks for this. How do you know if you are eligible for a free smoke alarm?

its if u are on benefits. income support, DLA etc etc

Original Poster

Emmamed;7501954

This is only partially true, it depends on your local council. Devon & Cornwall for example will install them if:-

A) You don't have them (or only have one)
B) If you have older ones than they have

I'm not on any benfits and they fitted two for me.

This is the link to the Cornwall site which gives this information

cornwall.gov.uk/ind…253

[COLOR="DimGray"]"Ensuring you have a working smoke alarm and if you don't, we will fit a 'free' smoke alarm"[/COLOR]

Emmamed;7501954

gal2792t;7514831

This is only partially true, it depends on your local council. Devon & … This is only partially true, it depends on your local council. Devon & Cornwall for example will install them if:-A) You don't have them (or only have one)B) If you have older ones than they haveI'm not on any benfits and they fitted two for me.This is the link to the Cornwall site which gives this informationhttp://www.cornwall.gov.uk/index.aspx?page=7253[COLOR="DimGray"]"Ensuring you have a working smoke alarm and if you don't, we will fit a 'free' smoke alarm"[/COLOR]

Thanks, will look into this a bit more.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21114
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247653
    3. Add one, leave one game54415457
    4. Sainsbury's 25% off 6 bottles of Wine & TU 25% off clothing offer said to b…11

See more discussions