Groups

Free Operating Systems

I want to try some free operating systems out since I've only ever used Windows, I want to expand my nerdy horizons etc.

I've already got haiku and ubuntu, and I have mandriva on the way. can anyone recommend any other good ones? links would be nice too if you're feeling kind

I'll post my thoughts etc when I'm done playing with them

15 Comments

The obvious question is what are you wanting to do with them? There's a large number of different *nix distros out there but many of them are now customised to suit a certain role which makes that particular version more worthwhile if that's the purpose you want it for.

John

]Sabayon Linux is my favourite distro, everything works straight out the box and its got almost all software you need pre-installed!

Original Poster

sorry john i should have said that, i'm looking for operating systems that do the same job as a normal retail version of windows. normal family use. possible tasks include

burning discs of all types
    internet browsing
    word processing and other homework type stuff
    video/audio editing
    games (though i accept that most games are aimed at windows)
    playing music/dvds
    maybe having the option to run windows software if i really need to (using wine or something like that)

will add sabayon to the list

i assume ur loading this all up in virtual machines? otherwise u are having 0 fun

Original Poster

i just tried haiku in a virtual machine but it didn't seem to like being run in such a way. i was going to reformat my laptop to experiment on. i'll have access to windows machines as well so i won't lose my ability to use office etc.

would you advise against this?

I too have been playing and I'm now using Linux Mint on my lappy. Very impressed.

Banned

try FREE BSD

gav989;6476888

i just tried haiku in a virtual machine but it didn't seem to like being … i just tried haiku in a virtual machine but it didn't seem to like being run in such a way. i was going to reformat my laptop to experiment on. i'll have access to windows machines as well so i won't lose my ability to use office etc.would you advise against this?

What virtual machine software were you using? I like to play with the distro in a VM first before installing it on a machine, I find it's very easy to work through any issues as you've got the host OS just there to browse with.

John

Depends on if you have a MAC or not, but the new Snow Leopard is out now which is pretty good

Original Poster

i don't have access to a mac unfortunately, i would like to have a go with one sometime because i have never used one properly

it appears i have to pay for vmware workstationso i was using microsoft virtual pc 2004 (i'm currently running xp)

will have a go with linux mint and free bsd

gav989;6482397

i don't have access to a mac unfortunately, i would like to have a go … i don't have access to a mac unfortunately, i would like to have a go with one sometime because i have never used one properlyit appears i have to pay for vmware workstationso i was using microsoft virtual pc 2004 (i'm currently running xp)will have a go with linux mint and free bsd

I wouldn't bother with Microsoft's Virtual PC for non-MS operating systems, I found it problematic and not worth spending the time on. Although Vmware workstation isn't free, they do offer vmplayer for nothing:

vmware.com/pro…er/

You can't create the VM's within the software and it's a little clunkier to manage them however you can create the VM online as there are sites that offer this for free and it's easy to do. Otherwise though it works well and I've ran virtual Linux systems without issue this way.

John

Johnmcl7;6482584

I wouldn't bother with Microsoft's Virtual PC for non-MS operating … I wouldn't bother with Microsoft's Virtual PC for non-MS operating systems, I found it problematic and not worth spending the time on. Although Vmware workstation isn't free, they do offer vmplayer for nothing:http://www.vmware.com/products/player/You can't create the VM's within the software and it's a little clunkier to manage them however you can create the VM online as there are sites that offer this for free and it's easy to do. Otherwise though it works well and I've ran virtual Linux systems without issue this way.John

Check out virtualbox from sun micro it's free and does everything vmware can do!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a look.

John

Original Poster

currently running haiku so it's probably a bit late for virtualization, but i'll bear it in mind for the future

haiku is currently in its alpha stage so it's not quite ready yet, but it seems pretty good so far

Original Poster

onto linux mint now. having a slight problem: when i play music, the sound comes out of my laptop speakers as well as my headphones or normal speakers. this didn't happen under haiku or windows so i assume it's a linux thing. would this be likely to happen under all linux distros? if so i may only try a few of them out...

edit: same thing happens in puppy linux (which is great by the way) so i'll assume it's a linux thing i'll have to deal with

final edit: (just didn't want to triple post) am now multibooting xp, sabayon and haiku. sabayon was the only linux distro that didn't play sound out of my laptop speakers when i had headphones plugged in.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Buy back on Euros to £££12
      2. Digital ps4 games33
      3. Localphone VOIP long distance app broken (not ios11 compatible)22
      4. Cheap northface alternatives?22

See more discussions