Free places to go wild swimming in Yorkshire ( Top 5 hidden gems you might not be aware of )

Expert (Beta)48
Posted 27th Jun 2020
5 hidden gems places to go wild swimming in Yorkshire for Free

With the weather warming up people maybe deciding to get out and want to avoid the increasing crowded beaches.

I’ve put together 5 lessen know beauty spots which are bit more off the beaten track that maybe quieter for swimming

Lumb Falls Hebden Bridge

This beautiful waterfall is a fantastic spot for tombstoning off the waterfall as it’s not too high.

It accessible a number of way but parking near peckets well and following the steep rock footpath down. Definitely for the more adventurous as it can be a bit of a scramble to get down to the water itself

3494281.jpgPostcode HX7 8R

River Wharf IIkley located just around the corner from the famous Lido the river had a small beach area and bridge which people jump off.

Parking on the verge at the roadside is available and can cross the bridge. You can access the river at many points.

3494281.jpg
Postcode LS29 0BZ

Gaddings Dam Todmorden

Situated in the Yorkshire Moors above Todmorden, it is quite a hike to get to up a steep path but has a sandy beach and beautiful views

3494281.jpgPostcode OL14 6JJ

St Aidan's nature reserve near Leeds has one Lake suitable for Outdoor swimming. It possible to park on the road outside the reserve and access the lake. Huge amount of different birds on the reserve. A great spot to go for a dip.

3494281.jpg
Postcode LS26 8AL

Hayburn Wyke Waterfalls Just above Scarborough away from the crowds and has a rock beach. A steep descent down the valley is required to access the beach and falls

3494281.jpg
YO13 0AU

please do take care extra when wild swimming and beware of the possible risks never go alone. Some of places are difficult to access are quite a walk from the nearest roads.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
tracey011027/06/2020 08:53

This is a great way to ruin these natural beauty spots.

Why shouldn’t everyone be able to enjoy these places
48 Comments
Thanks!! Going to check some of these out today
liamcupra27/06/2020 08:52

Thanks!! Going to check some of these out today

Fantastic glad it was useful.

Have a google to get better idea of directions and how to access each location. I’ve just included the nearest postcodes.
tracey011027/06/2020 08:53

Shame so far away from me.
Cbear8127/06/2020 08:56

Shame so far away from me.

So much in Yorkshire you could consider it for a holiday.
myusernamehasgone23427/06/2020 08:57

So much in Yorkshire you could consider it for a holiday.

Yeah that’s very true. Maybe July when I’m off work.
Thanks just bought a paddle board and have been looking for somewhere local
Lumb falls has been trashed by idiots and closed by the police as consequence
Edited by: "moodychops" 27th Jun
myusernamehasgone23427/06/2020 08:56

Because there's a lot of idiots out there who don't care and will trash the place
moodychops27/06/2020 09:05

Lumb falls jas been trashed by idiots and closed by the police as …Lumb falls jas been trashed by idiots and closed by the police as consequence

Oh no that’s so sad to hear
Thanks going with 20 mates , large Bluetooth speaker , loads on noz cans and tons of beer

See you there
ashmac27/06/2020 09:53

Thanks going with 20 mates , large Bluetooth speaker , loads on noz cans …Thanks going with 20 mates , large Bluetooth speaker , loads on noz cans and tons of beer See you there

tom2kadd127/06/2020 10:26

Because then nobody can enjoy them!

I was grateful for the heads up about these places and have had fantastic family days outs.

My kids have loved jumping off the waterfall at Lumb falls for example and now have some lovely memories and I trying to help other families have similar experiences
myusernamehasgone23427/06/2020 10:35

I was grateful for the heads up about these places and have had fantastic …I was grateful for the heads up about these places and have had fantastic family days outs. My kids have loved jumping off the waterfall at Lumb falls for example and now have some lovely memories and I trying to help other families have similar experiences

I think the point trying to be made was that these types of places exist all over the country and are known about locally through family handing down knowledge and speaking amongst friends. Therefore they stay local and those locals respect them.

Now that its on an internet forum you might get people from all over the country visiting and then the local beauty and calmness will be destroyed as we have seen in recent weeks as people descend on the coast and moors en masse.

I live near Dartmoor and used to go to quiet little bridge with a little lake and it was lovely and calm. Maybe saw three or four other people there max over the year. Someone then put a heavily filtered photo on facebook making it look like it was in the Caribbean and now each weekend is like spring break there. Thus ruined by the masses.

Some places are meant to remain secret.
Nice
myusernamehasgone23427/06/2020 11:30

I’m afraid I don’t share the same opinion and think everyone should be abl …I’m afraid I don’t share the same opinion and think everyone should be able to enjoy those places. Wether they live 1 mile away, 10 miles away, 100 miles away or even more.

You do know Op got all this Information from the internet. Information that is already published and probably has been for a very long time.
Edited by: "MR1123" 27th Jun
ArcadeAssassin27/06/2020 11:08

I think the point trying to be made was that these types of places exist …I think the point trying to be made was that these types of places exist all over the country and are known about locally through family handing down knowledge and speaking amongst friends. Therefore they stay local and those locals respect them. Now that its on an internet forum you might get people from all over the country visiting and then the local beauty and calmness will be destroyed as we have seen in recent weeks as people descend on the coast and moors en masse. I live near Dartmoor and used to go to quiet little bridge with a little lake and it was lovely and calm. Maybe saw three or four other people there max over the year. Someone then put a heavily filtered photo on facebook making it look like it was in the Caribbean and now each weekend is like spring break there. Thus ruined by the masses. Some places are meant to remain secret.

I’m afraid I don’t share the same opinion and think everyone should be able to enjoy those places. Wether they live 1 mile away, 10 miles away, 100 miles away or even more.
ashmac27/06/2020 09:53

Thanks going with 20 mates , large Bluetooth speaker , loads on noz cans …Thanks going with 20 mates , large Bluetooth speaker , loads on noz cans and tons of beer See you there

Who are you kidding... you’ve not got 20 pals
ArcadeAssassin27/06/2020 11:08

I think the point trying to be made was that these types of places exist …I think the point trying to be made was that these types of places exist all over the country and are known about locally through family handing down knowledge and speaking amongst friends. Therefore they stay local and those locals respect them. Now that its on an internet forum you might get people from all over the country visiting and then the local beauty and calmness will be destroyed as we have seen in recent weeks as people descend on the coast and moors en masse. I live near Dartmoor and used to go to quiet little bridge with a little lake and it was lovely and calm. Maybe saw three or four other people there max over the year. Someone then put a heavily filtered photo on facebook making it look like it was in the Caribbean and now each weekend is like spring break there. Thus ruined by the masses. Some places are meant to remain secret.

MR112327/06/2020 11:22

You do know Op got all this Information from the internet. Information …You do know Op got all this Information from the internet. Information that is already published and probably has been for a very long time.

Yes exactly @MR1123

Thank you these places are already listed online or have appeared in local publications.

I used term hidden gems as they are off the beaten track and not as well know and take a bit of extra effort to get too.

These are places I’ve come across over the years, I thought people might be looking for somewhere a bit different to visit at moment and over the summer

I’m afraid I don’t share the same opinion and think everyone should be abl …I’m afraid I don’t share the same opinion and think everyone should be able to enjoy those places. Wether they live 1 mile away, 10 miles away, 100 miles away or even more.

Yes and outsiders won't make frequent visits.
MR112327/06/2020 11:39

Yes and outsiders won't make frequent visits.

Gaddings dam now has thousands of people visiting everyday

Lumb falls has turned from beauty spot to landfill site and is no longer safe for swimming due to broken beer bottles and has been closed by the police as a result
ilkley eh? Not a good idea. bbc.co.uk/new…475
psychobitchfromhell27/06/2020 11:48

ilkley eh? Not a good idea. …ilkley eh? Not a good idea. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-53177475

moodychops27/06/2020 11:48

Gaddings dam now has thousands of people visiting everydayLumb falls has …Gaddings dam now has thousands of people visiting everydayLumb falls has turned from beauty spot to landfill site and is no longer safe for swimming due to broken beer bottles and has been closed by the police as a result

Thanks for the up to date info.

Hopefully these will reopen again soon
Bookmarked - Very usefull for me being in West Yorkshire Thankyou!
118luke27/06/2020 11:58

Bookmarked - Very usefull for me being in West Yorkshire Bookmarked - Very usefull for me being in West Yorkshire Thankyou!

Great glad it was helpful

Did you not see what happened at Bournemouth a few days ago? Sure, I get it, you want to spread the word on some good places to visit and go wild swimming, and any other summer you might have a point. But this isn't *any* summer, it's one where the country is trying to recover from the coronavirus pandemic, social distancing measures are still meant to be in place, and local police and MPs are pleading with that public not to come and flood those kind of places with people and the risks that brings at the moment. Your attitude here seems rather arrogant in saying that people should come "100 miles" to these places when that directly goes against what the authorities are telling us to do. That mods should delete this thread as this really isn't the right time for this.
Haircut_10027/06/2020 12:13

Did you not see what happened at Bournemouth a few days ago? Sure, I get …Did you not see what happened at Bournemouth a few days ago? Sure, I get it, you want to spread the word on some good places to visit and go wild swimming, and any other summer you might have a point. But this isn't *any* summer, it's one where the country is trying to recover from the coronavirus pandemic, social distancing measures are still meant to be in place, and local police and MPs are pleading with that public not to come and flood those kind of places with people and the risks that brings at the moment. Your attitude here seems rather arrogant in saying that people should come "100 miles" to these places when that directly goes against what the authorities are telling us to do. That mods should delete this thread as this really isn't the right time for this.

Open water swimming is allowed but people should stay home as much as possible at the moment but are allowed out now to exercise, non essential shops are now reopened and pub and restaurant will be in a weeks time.

I wasn't suggestions people travelled 100 miles to the places at all simply that there's no need to keep these places a secret as the other poster was suggesting.

I didn't suggest everyone should rush there today, it going to be summer holidays soon and people will want to go out a bit more.

I was suggesting these as alternatives to the beach to try and be helpful.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 27th Jun
Haircut_10027/06/2020 12:13

Did you not see what happened at Bournemouth a few days ago? Sure, I get …Did you not see what happened at Bournemouth a few days ago? Sure, I get it, you want to spread the word on some good places to visit and go wild swimming, and any other summer you might have a point. But this isn't *any* summer, it's one where the country is trying to recover from the coronavirus pandemic, social distancing measures are still meant to be in place, and local police and MPs are pleading with that public not to come and flood those kind of places with people and the risks that brings at the moment. Your attitude here seems rather arrogant in saying that people should come "100 miles" to these places when that directly goes against what the authorities are telling us to do. That mods should delete this thread as this really isn't the right time for this.

You have completely misinterpreted what I have put.

I haven't suggested doing anything that goes against government guideline, households can go out for a picnics & swim and maintain social distance.

Camping and theme park open on the 4th of July.

I can't be held responsible for others actions.

What I suggested can be done safely and within the rules.

A nice family day could do wonders to boost some people's struggling with mental health issues. Some people have been working flat out for months now and this could be really good for them. As I said this can be down safely.

Somone had a go at me for posting an Easter egg deal during lockdown. Allowed on the site and everyone was doing the same, but my deal was singledout. I never posted another single in store deal during lockdown after that even though others did as I believed they may have had a point.

However I'm tired of been singled out and forced to apologise when I don't think I had done anything wrong on that occasion or even on that occasion.

hotukdeals.com/dea…664
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 27th Jun
myusernamehasgone23427/06/2020 12:39

What I suggested can be done safely and within the rules.

I'd disagree with that. Your post looks as though it is suggesting people to come to these places and do dangerous activities. I'm sure that the local authorities would not want people being encouraged to do this.

41225003-vEEaI.jpg
ROSPA - Tombstoning – 'Don't jump into the unknown'

BBC News - Durdle Door: Tombstoning continues despite three seriously hurt

And from yesterday's BBC News websiye for North Yorkshire - North Yorkshire Police warn of tombstoning dangers

North Yorkshire Police have specifically warned people against doing this, so your post is pretty irresponsible to be honest with you. This is what North Yorkshire Police said on Twitter yesterday.

41225003-QaRsr.jpg
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 29th Jun
moodychops27/06/2020 11:48

Gaddings dam now has thousands of people visiting everydayLumb falls has …Gaddings dam now has thousands of people visiting everydayLumb falls has turned from beauty spot to landfill site and is no longer safe for swimming due to broken beer bottles and has been closed by the police as a result

I've read it. As with everything not everyone should be punished for a small minorities doing.
MR112327/06/2020 14:26

I've read it. As with everything not everyone should be punished for a …I've read it. As with everything not everyone should be punished for a small minorities doing.

But yet that's is what is happening, we can't use lumb falls anymore because of the broken beer bottles

And nobody wants to be there because of the mess
Edited by: "moodychops" 27th Jun
Haircut_10027/06/2020 14:13

I'd disagree with that. Your post looks as though it is suggesting people …I'd disagree with that. Your post looks as though it is suggesting people to come to these places and do dangerous activities. I'm surethat the local authorities would not want people being encouraged to do this. [Image] ROSPA - Tombstoning – 'Don't jump into the unknown'BBC News - Durdle Door: Tombstoning continues despite three seriously hurtAnd from yesterday's BBC News websiye for North Yorkshire - North Yorkshire Police warn of tombstoning dangersNorth Yorkshire Police have specifically warned people against doing this, so your post is pretty irresponsible to be honest with you. This is what North Yorkshire Police said on Twitter yesterday. [Image]

I stated people need to take care, I specifically mentioned it not been particularly high for jumping in.

I didn't know it was full of discarded beer bottles currently.

I assuming people can take responsibility for their own actions and decide when they go what the conditions and water levels are like and know their ability.

People can just visit for a picnic and not enter the water at all.
Haircut_10027/06/2020 14:13

I'd disagree with that. Your post looks as though it is suggesting people …I'd disagree with that. Your post looks as though it is suggesting people to come to these places and do dangerous activities. I'm surethat the local authorities would not want people being encouraged to do this. [Image] ROSPA - Tombstoning – 'Don't jump into the unknown'BBC News - Durdle Door: Tombstoning continues despite three seriously hurtAnd from yesterday's BBC News websiye for North Yorkshire - North Yorkshire Police warn of tombstoning dangersNorth Yorkshire Police have specifically warned people against doing this, so your post is pretty irresponsible to be honest with you. This is what North Yorkshire Police said on Twitter yesterday. [Image]

Please report it to the moderation team to have a look at it you think it is inappropriate and they have a look and remove if unsuitable.
moodychops27/06/2020 14:34

But yet that's is what is happening, we can't use lumb falls anymore …But yet that's is what is happening, we can't use lumb falls anymore because of the broken beer bottlesAnd nobody wants to be there because of the mess

Well I suggest get the dust pan and brush. The council know it's high traffic area so should send there guys to clean up or on the spot fines.
MR112327/06/2020 18:34

Well I suggest get the dust pan and brush. The council know it's high …Well I suggest get the dust pan and brush. The council know it's high traffic area so should send there guys to clean up or on the spot fines.

And the broken bottles in the water?

Locals paying to clean up after people from Manchester who make it impossible for the locals to enjoy themselves?

I am of the same opinion of the mathematics guy

These places don't need any more advertising as they are beyond capacity which is a shame for everyone

And I wouldn't take any children there , it is no longer suitable
MR112327/06/2020 18:34

Well I suggest get the dust pan and brush. The council know it's high …Well I suggest get the dust pan and brush. The council know it's high traffic area so should send there guys to clean up or on the spot fines.

Do you suggest the use a dustpan and brush against the druggies etc?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Sho…tml

Doesn't exactly sound as nice as it does in the OP!
julieallen27/06/2020 19:42

Do you suggest the use a dustpan and brush against the druggies …Do you suggest the use a dustpan and brush against the druggies etc?https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g528757-d1216352-r758066087-Hardcastle_Crags-Hebden_Bridge_West_Yorkshire_England.html#REVIEWSDoesn't exactly sound as nice as it does in the OP!

Sounds like recently they have had a lot of issues the reviews prior to June 2020 say how nice it is. Then all those recent reviews in June 2020 suggest issues. Such a shame to read that.

I’ve had so many great days out there.
tripadvisor.co.uk/Sho…tml
Post a comment
@
    Text