Free Sanitary Products to be available in schools from next week

Expert (Beta) 13
Posted 18th Jan
google.co.uk/amp…amp

Free Sanitary Products to be available in schools from next week

This has been available for sometime in my kids school but seems it’s been rolled out nationally from next week
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
ding18/01/2020 13:08

Maybe in those days it was the individual teachers buying them from their …Maybe in those days it was the individual teachers buying them from their own pocket

I did say "discretionary", fair enough. It's good that it's one thing less for the school to pay out for. We were even shown where they were kept, can't remember if it was in the office or somewhere in the girls' toilets - was so long ago.

I always make a point of bunging in a pack for food bank collections, as they tend not to get sanitary supplies, it's usually tins and cereal packets! The Aldi ones are decent (think they're 49p now) for the price.

Wonder if they will keep painkillers as well - I get prescribed Mefenamic Acid (used to be called Ponstan). Suppose the school would probably just send you home if you're really suffering.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 18th Jan
13 Comments
Can only be good, but I thought all schools had supplies? Way back in the mid-1980s we were told to have a quiet word in a teacher's ear if any girl needed sanitary towels, etc. Lots of giggling, of course, but I thought it was great, even then.

One music teacher would even keep extra items in her classroom. Maybe in those days it was just a discretionary thing that came out of school funds.
louiselouise18/01/2020 13:05

Can only be good, but I thought all schools had supplies? Way back in the …Can only be good, but I thought all schools had supplies? Way back in the mid-1980s we were told to have a quiet word in a teacher's ear if any girl needed sanitary towels, etc. Lots of giggling, of course, but I thought it was great, even then.One music teacher would even keep extra items in her classroom. Maybe in those days it was just a discretionary thing.

I’m not sure they did.

It was only a fairly recent addition at the school my kids go to as the were promoting it on their Facebook to raise awareness.

I think it was stockedthrough donations rather than paid for by the government.

Can only be good, but I thought all schools had supplies? Way back in the …Can only be good, but I thought all schools had supplies? Way back in the mid-1980s we were told to have a quiet word in a teacher's ear if any girl needed sanitary towels, etc. Lots of giggling, of course, but I thought it was great, even then.One music teacher would even keep extra items in her classroom. Maybe in those days it was just a discretionary thing that came out of school funds.

Maybe in those days it was the individual teachers buying them from their own pocket

Maybe in those days it was the individual teachers buying them from their …Maybe in those days it was the individual teachers buying them from their own pocket

That’s what I think school might have carried a small stock for emergencies rather than handed out full packs of pads to cover a whole period.

I did say "discretionary", fair enough. It's good that it's one thing less for the school to pay out for. We were even shown where they were kept, can't remember if it was in the office or somewhere in the girls' toilets - was so long ago.

I always make a point of bunging in a pack for food bank collections, as they tend not to get sanitary supplies, it's usually tins and cereal packets! The Aldi ones are decent (think they're 49p now) for the price.

Wonder if they will keep painkillers as well - I get prescribed Mefenamic Acid (used to be called Ponstan). Suppose the school would probably just send you home if you're really suffering.

Can only be good, but I thought all schools had supplies? Way back in the …Can only be good, but I thought all schools had supplies? Way back in the mid-1980s we were told to have a quiet word in a teacher's ear if any girl needed sanitary towels, etc. Lots of giggling, of course, but I thought it was great, even then.One music teacher would even keep extra items in her classroom. Maybe in those days it was just a discretionary thing that came out of school funds.

Our school way back in the 80's only gave you one that they still charged for probably only pennies if you had no money you had to bring it in the next day
Angelica118/01/2020 13:46

Our school way back in the 80's only gave you one that they still charged …Our school way back in the 80's only gave you one that they still charged for probably only pennies if you had no money you had to bring it in the next day

Oh, shame they charged you. I'm pretty sure it was free for us lot.

That was also the days when you could buy a "single cigarette" from the newsagents as well, and they would serve schoolgirls/boys (I don't smoke, but I knew plenty who did)
louiselouise18/01/2020 13:53

Oh, shame they charged you. I'm pretty sure it was free for us lot.That …Oh, shame they charged you. I'm pretty sure it was free for us lot.That was also the days when you could buy a "single cigarette" from the newsagents as well, and they would serve schoolgirls/boys (I don't smoke, but I knew plenty who did)

Ha same used to buy a pack of ten in the morning an have them sold by dinner didn't smoke myself so all profit not that I'm condoning it now just didn't know better then .
Edited by: "Angelica1" 18th Jan
Angelica118/01/2020 13:59

Ha same used to buy a pack of ten in the morning an have them sold by …Ha same used to buy a pack of ten in the morning an have them sold by dinner didn't smoke myself so all profit not that I'm condoning it now just didn't know better then .

An enterprising spirit at a young age - I like it !
markvirgo18/01/2020 17:17

Comment deleted

I think it's a shame you're being so judgemental and assuming about every single teenage girl on the planet.

If you came from a neglectful home where poverty was biting and you could hardly afford to feed yourself (maybe even resorting to stealing sanitary products and food to survive) you might think differently. At that age you're very self conscious about your body and wouldn't dare admit to your peers what was really happening. Bunking off school is an easier choice than being shamed or bullied, or even bleeding all over your school clothes.

It does happen - some kids turn up at primary school barely able to speak, not able to hold a pen, still in nappies. Every individual household is different.

Some girls have parents who don't care about feeding, clothing or making sure their basic needs are met. Some can't afford it. I'd assume the rise in food banks has something to do with this. Obviously lax parenting plays a part, sometimes, as well. It's all very sad.

I'm hoping the schools are able to offer additional support when needed, but they're in a difficult position as there's pride attached to this - especially at this vulnerable age.
markvirgo18/01/2020 20:24

Comment deleted

Obviously primary school kids don't need them (usually - though some girls start their period at eight or nine!) - I'm using that as an example of parental neglect. Sweeping generalisations about a subject you've likely never had to experience help nobody. There may well be some people who "take advantage" and have all the privileges life should offer (hair done, nails, etc, as you say?) but I'd assume that will be in a minority. It takes a bit of courage to be open up to a teacher and trust them - that your household is poor and some everyday things aren't available to you.

Unfortunately (my dad is a teacher) there is an element of day-to-day emotional support/guidance/confidential help/referring to social work etc, that goes into teaching.

Most of these girls don't want anyone to know, for they fear being bullied and have to rely on a teacher maintaining their privacy.
markvirgo18/01/2020 17:17

Comment deleted

There are plenty of things the tax payer pays for , personally I would rather it was spent on things like this over many of the other things it gets spent on .
Angelica118/01/2020 21:56

There are plenty of things the tax payer pays for , personally I would …There are plenty of things the tax payer pays for , personally I would rather it was spent on things like this over many of the other things it gets spent on .

Especially since the government tax them in the first place, the old adage about necessities not including VAT goes out the window on these.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants