Free to Air / Freesat Box Advice

Posted 2nd Oct
Hi,
Was looking at getting a second hand Humax HDR-1100S but then saw that C4HD gone from freesat, got me looking into alternatives and I've landed on the Wooshbuild infinity interface for a Zgemma or similar. It looks easy to set up, just wondering what box people think gives best value for this and how people have found it. I only want Freetoair sat so don't need IPTV, although apps could be useful for BBC plater, ITV player etc. So many options and don't know where to start but want something very simple to set up, so i don't spend too much time tweaking etc. Have an openbox v8s the past few years but no epg anymore so thinking of upgrading. Once set up is this easy to use? Hassle Free?
Thanks,
Chris
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
I have a edision mini box in the bedroom for freesat. You can get a skin so it looks like sky.
I use a now tv stick for catchup, you can watch all the catchup on there for free.

You can still use cam and descramble channels but movies etc and most decent channels are too encrypted theese days. Its just as cheap to subscribe to now tv movies or still best way is download from usenet
If you know how to ftp to your sat box setting up should be a breeze. Otherwise you could find it a bit technical.
MonkeysUncle02/10/2019 10:04

I have a edision mini box in the bedroom for freesat. You can get a skin …I have a edision mini box in the bedroom for freesat. You can get a skin so it looks like sky. I use a now tv stick for catchup, you can watch all the catchup on there for free. You can still use cam and descramble channels but movies etc and most decent channels are too encrypted theese days. Its just as cheap to subscribe to now tv movies or still best way is download from usenet

Do you get a 7 day epg and channel 4 HD do you know?
Why Freesat if you only want FTA channels? less HD channels than Freeview, all HD channels on satellite are broadcast interlaced, freeview they are progressive, some SD channels have lower resolutions and bitrates than freeview
4Real201602/10/2019 10:29

Why Freesat if you only want FTA channels? less HD channels than Freeview, …Why Freesat if you only want FTA channels? less HD channels than Freeview, all HD channels on satellite are broadcast interlaced, freeview they are progressive, some SD channels have lower resolutions and bitrates than freeview

The aerial in my rented accommodation is crap and can't get Freeview, tried an indoor aerial but can't get that to work either. didn't know that about freeview being better resolutions and interlaced, interesting.

I just wanted a clean easy to set up interface with 7 day epg so that's why I was originally going Freesat.
Then I saw that there are good Free to Air alternatives where there's a nice interface and easy to set up but you get Channel 4hd for example. So I am looking for advice on a good Free to Air box with 7 day epg, easy to flash to a simple custom ROM before i decide if i got the easy route of freesat or the better free to air but with possibly more work. As i don't want to have all regional variations in my channel list for example and loads of versions of same channels etc. I believe the FTA box's have downloadable channel lists which update like a Freesat box if channels move about on the transponder so just wondering what people think would be best box, Wooshbuild infinity looks easy to set up but maybe something better and not sure which box to get for Wooshbuild infinity.
Edited by: "christopherwhiteis1" 2nd Oct
christopherwhiteis102/10/2019 10:37

The aerial in my rented accommodation is crap and can't get Freeview, …The aerial in my rented accommodation is crap and can't get Freeview, tried an indoor aerial but can't get that to work either. didn't know that about freeview being better resolutions and interlaced, interesting.I just wanted a clean easy to set up interface with 7 day epg so that's why I was originally going Freesat. Then I saw that there are good Free to Air alternatives where there's a nice interface and easy to set up but you get Channel 4hd for example. So I am looking for advice on a good Free to Air box with 7 day epg, easy to flash to a simple custom ROM before i decide if i got the easy route of freesat or the better free to air but with possibly more work. As i don't want to have all regional variations in my channel list for example and loads of versions of same channels etc. I believe the FTA box's have downloadable channel lists which update like a Freesat box if channels move about on the transponder so just wondering what people think would be best box, Wooshbuild infinity looks easy to set up but maybe something better and not sure which box to get for Wooshbuild infinity.

Ok that makes sense, missed the part you wanted an FTA box not freesat, your get more channels that way, HD channels your get you can see Here
christopherwhiteis102/10/2019 10:07

Do you get a 7 day epg and channel 4 HD do you know?

Get 7 day eog but not channel 4 in HD. It is in HD on nowtv catchup.
satandpcguy.com/201…ox/

Also can use a Technomate 5402 hd and get ch4 hd and 7 day epg on there.
Edited by: "fearona" 2nd Oct
Just a follow up here I bought the Zgemma H9S2 for £64 and delighted with it. I've got wooshbuild on the box, sky Q clone skin with all the free to air station. A lot cheaper than a freesat equivalent, have a 256gb sd card in it for recording and you get Channel 4 HD with 7 day epg for all stations, would highly recommend. Got a dual sat tuner version to future proof myself, only one sat line available where I'm living now.
4Real201602/10/2019 10:29

Why Freesat if you only want FTA channels? less HD channels than Freeview, …Why Freesat if you only want FTA channels? less HD channels than Freeview, all HD channels on satellite are broadcast interlaced, freeview they are progressive, some SD channels have lower resolutions and bitrates than freeview

I thought Freesat has more HD channels? What does that mean Freeview channels are progressive? What does that make the Freeview ones?
Craig201803/11/2019 08:54

I thought Freesat has more HD channels? What does that mean Freeview …I thought Freesat has more HD channels? What does that mean Freeview channels are progressive? What does that make the Freeview ones?

I'll not totally sure to be honest about the progressive thing.... Freesat doesn't have channel 4 hd but it's available on free to air (can be tuned manually on a freesat box, but I went for the zgemma as cheaper and will be in sequence in EPG.) There's no catch up TV on it which is prob the main disadvantage, there used to be one available but they guy who made the add on was getting too much hassle and complaints from thankless people so just shares it with friends and family now
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants