Free to Complaint to Housing Ombudsman

Found 8th Jun
After experiencing some horrendous landlords and living conditions in my life time, I recently found out that we can complaint to the Housing Ombudsman and that the process is free.

housing-ombudsman.org.uk/

Sharing, because not even Shelter or Citizens Advice Bureau mentioned the Housing Ombudsman in the past, so I don't think many people know about it like myself.
Community Updates
Misc
9 Comments
Hi @ParadisePapers Moved to MISC as info.
The ombudsman is only available after you have been through the normal escalation of complaints. You can't just go to the ombudsman. You need to try and resolve it first with the landlord
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 45 m ago

The ombudsman is only available after you have been through the normal …The ombudsman is only available after you have been through the normal escalation of complaints. You can't just go to the ombudsman. You need to try and resolve it first with the landlord

Actually, you can go directly to them but; as per their own blurb; 8 weeks minimum has to have passed since initial contact with your landlord.

I do find it odd that you have to 'bother' an MP before you can get your local council involved with any dispute. You'd think MP's have better stuff to deal with than local squabbles between tenant/landlords. Well, that's what my local council told me anyway. They wouldn't help UNTIL you have contacted a 'designated' person. Funny though that; according to the aforementioned website; the designated person could be - yep, a council rep!
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 8th Jun
Incidentally, my local CAB recommended speaking to the council's TRO (Tenancy Relations Officer.) My council office had never even heard of a TRO. Haha! Had to go away and ask someone. Nope, never heard of it.

Gotta love the CAB. As they keep saying - we're only volunteers, not professionals...

Seriously, I got better advice from some of the other people in the waiting room
Phsycronix1 h, 0 m ago

Actually, you can go directly to them but; as per their own blurb; 8 weeks …Actually, you can go directly to them but; as per their own blurb; 8 weeks minimum has to have passed since initial contact with your landlord.I do find it odd that you have to 'bother' an MP before you can get your local council involved with any dispute. You'd think MP's have better stuff to deal with than local squabbles between tenant/landlords. Well, that's what my local council told me anyway. They wouldn't help UNTIL you have contacted a 'designated' person. Funny though that; according to the aforementioned website; the designated person could be - yep, a council rep!

Just trying to tie both comments together;

You complain formally (not a telephone rant) to the Landlord/Managing Agent and DETAIL the complaint.

If the landlord/managing agent fails to respond or act, the Ombudsman will look into the specifics of the detail complaint after 8 weeks and look for a finding/ajudication.

The better prepared you are at writing things down concisely, keeping copies, and chasing, the better your chances. The ombudsman loves those who lay the whole thing out clearly for them, especially if you include a Chronolgy of events (one side of one liners stating date and action i.e.

xx/xx/xx mm.hh emailed Landlord & Managing agent - see letter dated xx/xx/xx
xx/xx/xx mm.hh Rang Managing Agent to confirm email had been received)

I speak with experience of using their services this year against Iresa. Very smooth and satisfactory result in my favour with compensation.
sigma3 h, 36 m ago

Hi @ParadisePapers Moved to MISC as info.

Thank you. I only posted in Freebies because I saw something there about GDPR (which helped an awful lot). As long as it is somewhere in hotukdeals then I guess people will find it anyway.
ccnp40 m ago

Just trying to tie both comments together;You complain formally (not a …Just trying to tie both comments together;You complain formally (not a telephone rant) to the Landlord/Managing Agent and DETAIL the complaint. If the landlord/managing agent fails to respond or act, the Ombudsman will look into the specifics of the detail complaint after 8 weeks and look for a finding/ajudication. The better prepared you are at writing things down concisely, keeping copies, and chasing, the better your chances. The ombudsman loves those who lay the whole thing out clearly for them, especially if you include a Chronolgy of events (one side of one liners stating date and action i.e. xx/xx/xx mm.hh emailed Landlord & Managing agent - see letter dated xx/xx/xxxx/xx/xx mm.hh Rang Managing Agent to confirm email had been received)I speak with experience of using their services this year against Iresa. Very smooth and satisfactory result in my favour with compensation.

Hey ccnp, thank you for sharing your own experience. It is fantastic that it works. How long did it take from you sending your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman for the issue to get resolved?

As a tenant I always felt very vulnerable and avoided raising complains so not to loose the roof over my head. The "If you don't like it, leave it" sort of thing. But older and wiser and now knowing about the Housing Ombudsman, I feel a little bit more confident to raise issues and if the landlord (Radian in my case) ignores me or intimidates with eviction, then it is reassuring to know I can reach out to the Housing Ombudsman. When I was younger and used to share houses, I had some nasty experiences and lost lots of money. So I think it is very important for younger people and foreigners living in the UK to know about the Housing Ombudsman. I guess people living in London get properly ripped off by landlords.
Phsycronix2 h, 12 m ago

Actually, you can go directly to them but; as per their own blurb; 8 weeks …Actually, you can go directly to them but; as per their own blurb; 8 weeks minimum has to have passed since initial contact with your landlord.I do find it odd that you have to 'bother' an MP before you can get your local council involved with any dispute. You'd think MP's have better stuff to deal with than local squabbles between tenant/landlords. Well, that's what my local council told me anyway. They wouldn't help UNTIL you have contacted a 'designated' person. Funny though that; according to the aforementioned website; the designated person could be - yep, a council rep!

Phsycronix2 h, 12 m ago

I'm a landlord (lady) and I'd like to think my tenants were happy bunnies. That way I get no grief and they pay the rent. I would not have my tenants live in anything I would not live in. Maybe I'm too nice
Phsycronix4 h, 20 m ago

"You'd think MP's have better stuff to deal with than local squabbles between tenant/landlords."
that is the way it is supposed to work
they are supposed to work for you
I agree the current system is daft you have people being asked to do two full time jobs(three if they are a minister as well)

far better surely to have a handful MP's representing a wider area ?
taking some of the strain off them and providing you with a larger choice of who to moan to.

and also helping with the 'I have a huge majority why should I give one' problem
Edited by: "Wongy110" 8th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants