Free UK landline and mobile calls with Amazon Alexa NOW rolled out across the UK!

Posted 14th Jun 2019
You can now ask your Alexa smart speaker to call your landline and mobile contacts

in the UK, giving you a hands-free way of staying in touch. This is a major game changer and adds significant functionality to Alexa.

By giving giving it access to your contacts book, you can ask Alexa to call the name of someone and have your smart speaker patch you through to her smartphone. You can also get it to voice dial numbers.
It's a service which has been available in the US, Canada and Mexico for a while, but now Amazon is rolling it out to UK customers. Currently, UK customers with Alexa-enabled speakers have only been able to call other Alexa speakers, limiting the appeal a little. The ability to now call external phone numbers, will see more people calling upon Alexa to dial friends and family without having to lift a finger.
Community Updates
TechRadar DealsMisc

Groups

32 Comments
So it's free is it? No charge for any calls?
Obviously Amazon aren't going to foot the bill for this?
fearona wrote:
“You sure Vodafone UK customers can now tap into their mobile call allowances, doing away with their landlines, and through an integrated address book make or receive calls over Alexa devices in the home”.

That’s not what the OP is referring to,that’s a vodafone deal.

Look up Alexa Outbound Calling which is not reliant on having a contract with Vodafone
Edited by: "Babbabooey" 14th Jun 2019
fearona14/06/2019 14:43

So it's free is it? No charge for any calls?

No the free calls to landlines and mobiles aren't free.
My original post is for everyone and is nothing to do with the Vodafone one. Calls are totally free to all landlines and mobile phones in the UK!!! It is an amazing addition to Alexa.
leiclad14/06/2019 16:02

My original post is for everyone and is nothing to do with the Vodafone …My original post is for everyone and is nothing to do with the Vodafone one. Calls are totally free to all landlines and mobile phones in the UK!!! It is an amazing addition to Alexa.

How much does it cost though?
Wifi calling?
Just tried it. Works fine. Cheers for the heads-up OP
leiclad14/06/2019 16:02

My original post is for everyone and is nothing to do with the Vodafone …My original post is for everyone and is nothing to do with the Vodafone one. Calls are totally free to all landlines and mobile phones in the UK!!! It is an amazing addition to Alexa.

Is it even free to 0844 numbers etc, assuming they're in your contacts list?
Edited by: "deeky" 14th Jun 2019
Finally catching up on Google Home then!
Alexa call dave
Calling Jennifer
Alexa cancel
Cancelling Prime order
Alexa CANCEL CALL!
Cancelling call
So you couldn't do this before? I would have thought it would have always been an included feature,. Who designs these things, idiots?
jamie1514/06/2019 17:15

Finally catching up on Google Home then!

We don't want Android/Apple/PS4/XBOX crap starting with these things
Does anyone have the URL to the Amazon page that identifies this specific service? There's some info at URL below but I'd like to know the implication of the word "additional" in the phrase "no additional cost". Thanks.
amazon.co.uk/gp/…150
AndyRoyd14/06/2019 19:38

Does anyone have the URL to the Amazon page that identifies this specific …Does anyone have the URL to the Amazon page that identifies this specific service? There's some info at URL below but I'd like to know the implication of the word "additional" in the phrase "no additional cost". Thanks. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202136150

Closest I can find is the Alexa Communication Schedule at the bottom of the Alexa Terms of Use, which states:

"Amazon may offer you certain over the top Alexa-related communication services, such as the ability to send and receive messages and calls and connect with other Alexa users and the ability to place outbound calls to most phone numbers in the United Kingdom, United States, Canada and Mexico (collectively, "Alexa Communication")."

and:

"Amazon does not currently charge fees for Alexa Communication"
Edited by: "lyesbkz" 14th Jun 2019
lyesbkz14/06/2019 19:54

Closest I can find is the Alexa Communication Schedule at the bottom of …Closest I can find is the Alexa Communication Schedule at the bottom of the Alexa Terms of Use, which states:"Amazon may offer you certain over the top Alexa-related communication services, such as the ability to send and receive messages and calls and connect with other Alexa users and the ability to place outbound calls to most phone numbers in the United Kingdom, United States, Canada and Mexico (collectively, "Alexa Communication")."and:"Amazon does not currently charge fees for Alexa Communication"

Mmm, I don't want to be a cynic but those t&c do not indicate why Amazon chooses to use the phrase "no additional cost" rather than far simpler "no cost".
deleted8085814/06/2019 19:11

We don't want Android/Apple/PS4/XBOX crap starting with these things

I'm not looking for one of those arguments here. Alexa has its own benefits over Google Assistant and vice versa. Just surprised it took Amazon this long to implement.
AndyRoyd14/06/2019 20:00

Mmm, I don't want to be a cynic but those t&c do not indicate why Amazon …Mmm, I don't want to be a cynic but those t&c do not indicate why Amazon chooses to use the phrase "no additional cost" rather than far simpler "no cost".

According to a news article it’s also called Alexa Outbound Calling and announced the same time as they did the Vodafone announcement. The stories say it does not allow the person you called to see your number but tried earlier with my kids and oddly they said it came up as me, will check tomorrow.

Checked my usage and the calls didn’t show so can only assume it’s free WiFi calling for now anyway until they get a foot in the door anyway.

Linked to here on another story but no T&Cs
amazon.co.uk/l/1…031
Edited by: "eslick" 14th Jun 2019
AndyRoyd14/06/2019 20:00

Mmm, I don't want to be a cynic but those t&c do not indicate why Amazon …Mmm, I don't want to be a cynic but those t&c do not indicate why Amazon chooses to use the phrase "no additional cost" rather than far simpler "no cost".

Presumably as you have to have paid the initial cost for the device in order to use the call function at no additional cost.
Ferris14/06/2019 22:01

Presumably as you have to have paid the initial cost for the device in …Presumably as you have to have paid the initial cost for the device in order to use the call function at no additional cost.

I'm thinking "additional" refers to a service cost, not a hardware cost.
eslick14/06/2019 21:35

According to a news article it’s also called Alexa Outbound Calling and a …According to a news article it’s also called Alexa Outbound Calling and announced the same time as they did the Vodafone announcement. The stories say it does not allow the person you called to see your number but tried earlier with my kids and oddly they said it came up as me, will check tomorrow. Checked my usage and the calls didn’t show so can only assume it’s free WiFi calling for now anyway until they get a foot in the door anyway.Linked to here on another story but no T&Cs https://www.amazon.co.uk/l/12728352031#com

Yep, just as I said in one of the first posts
eslick14/06/2019 21:35

...Checked my usage and the calls didn’t show so can only assume it’s free …...Checked my usage and the calls didn’t show so can only assume it’s free WiFi calling for now anyway until they get a foot in the door anyway. Linked to here on another story but no T&Cs https://www.amazon.co.uk/l/12728352031#com

That URL also refers to linking Alexa to "your Vodafone mobile plan" and then "Calls using Alexa are deducted from your pay monthly allowances - just like making a call with your phone."
Not immediately clear why Voda users would do that if Alexa calls to ll&mob are otherwise available at "no additional cost" ?
AndyRoyd14/06/2019 23:51

Not immediately clear why Voda users would do that if Alexa calls to …Not immediately clear why Voda users would do that if Alexa calls to ll&mob are otherwise available at "no additional cost" ?

I had the same thought but decided to link mine up to my Vodafone to try and find out. As far as I can tell the differences are that it does support emergency calling (unlike Alexa Calling), and if somebody rings my mobile number it rings through to the Alexa as an incoming call and I can answer on there.
Edited by: "lyesbkz" 15th Jun 2019
AndyRoyd14/06/2019 22:03

I'm thinking "additional" refers to a service cost, not a hardware cost.

There is a service cost. Your internet access isnt free.
Yawn. Already get unlimited calls on my (cheap) sim only contract and I think I get free landline calls with my landline which I don't even have plugged in.

Call me 5 years ago when I might have cared.
lyesbkz15/06/2019 00:06

I had the same thought but decided to link mine up to my Vodafone to try …I had the same thought but decided to link mine up to my Vodafone to try and find out. As far as I can tell the differences are that it does support emergency calling (unlike Alexa Calling), and if somebody rings my mobile number it rings through to the Alexa as an incoming call and I can answer on there.

Incoming calls is the most important feature of OneNumber
Cool, now they can spy on your private phone calls too!
PhilKelix217/06/2019 12:24

Cool, now they can spy on your private phone calls too!

Probably wouldn't have a private phone call on speakerphone.
What is the outgoing CLI when making calls from this service? Is any identifier passed through to the recipient? Thanks.
AndyRoyd21/06/2019 16:13

What is the outgoing CLI when making calls from this service? Is any …What is the outgoing CLI when making calls from this service? Is any identifier passed through to the recipient? Thanks.

On Google Home, it gives the mobile phone number of the person who is calling (this is set up in settings). However, if this isn't set up the caller ID shows as a landline number (a Google owned one). I presume it is the same case with Alexa.
Anyone know how a call can be hung up on the Echo Dot placed to a landline or mobile without the caller hearing the phrase 'hangup Alexa'? Can't seem to use one of the buttons be used on the Dot to hang up the call.

If it helps anyone I have used onlinetonegenerator.com/dtm…tml to navigate IVR prompts when calling companies that menu options.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants