"Free Upgrade to Windows 7" - how to register for it?

14 replies
Found 12th Oct 2009
Well, kind of like the title suggests, I have just bought a new Dell PC with Windows Vista Premium on it. It said I can upgrade to Windows 7 when that comes out, but do I have to register for this beforehand (I.e. now)? Or do I just apply in some way when it has been officially released?

Many thanks,
Chris

14 Comments

Hasn't it already been officially released since you can buy it in stores?

Edit: Just noticed it is released on 22 Oct.

I doubt there is still a free offer going.

i bought laptop today and i am entitled to the free upgrade. all i pay is the P&P...which is...wait for it.... £30!! set by microsoft! whata con! im not bothering as im not very computery!!

Whatever it is it will have to be via Dell not microsoft directly, I think!

So trawl through the Dell website, basically if you bought it now you should have had an option to have it with Windows 7.

Final word - check with dell on how to get the Windows 7 OS. if not you can always cancel order and re-order after release date of Windows 7

Rupee Man;6558170

Whatever it is it will have to be via Dell not microsoft directly, I … Whatever it is it will have to be via Dell not microsoft directly, I think! So trawl through the Dell website, basically if you bought it now you should have had an option to have it with Windows 7.Final word - check with dell on how to get the Windows 7 OS. if not you can always cancel order and re-order after release date of Windows 7

pc world told me i had to register online for it or something.

really should have taken more notice!

This is what you're after win7.dell.com/

You can apply now.

If you've purchased a Dell recently you will be able to claim a free upgrade from Vista to the equivalent Win 7 but I don't think the updates will become available on the Dell site until later this month.

Isn't that on line at Dell ? Most Dell windows disc's are unique to them due their hardware...

steve1221;6558316

Isn't that on line at Dell ? Most Dell windows disc's are unique to them … Isn't that on line at Dell ? Most Dell windows disc's are unique to them due their hardware...

Its rare to find a unique windows disc.

deathtrap3000;6558347

Its rare to find a unique windows disc.

picky, picky, picky

Will customers be getting the full or upgrade version of Windows 7?

tamoil;6560623

Will customers be getting the full or upgrade version of Windows 7?

Looks like Dell may well be an upgrade version :x

Bit more info here (not just Dell): pcpro.co.uk/blo…es/

Original Poster

inside101;6563195

Looks like Dell may well be an upgrade version :xBit more info here (not … Looks like Dell may well be an upgrade version :xBit more info here (not just Dell): http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2009/09/21/the-truth-about-the-free-windows-7-upgrades/

whats the difference?

thanks all btw

CReilly;6576170

whats the difference?thanks all btw

By the looks of it the disc that Dell send out will only work on a Dell system where as some manufactures will send the official Microsoft Windows 7 disc (plus another disc with drivers) which in theory could be installed on a different computer.

I presume the Dell W7 disc will have all the appropriate drives built in.

Original Poster

Ok, thanks again
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best/cheapest music service811
    2. Android pay set up615
    3. Pictures from camera to android phone510
    4. Lost my CEX membership Card?11

See more discussions