Free Virgin Media Cancellation

Found 12th Nov 2013
Not your usual run of the mill 'deal' but, Virgin Media will be increasing the price of your services in February by an average of 6.7%, depending upon the services you subscribe to.

This entitles you to invoke section J3(a) of your terms and conditions and cancel your contract with Virgin Media.

Perfect for those of you wanting to move your business elsewhere. Remember, you will have 30 days from receipt of the letter informing you of these increases.

Further details:
If we and/or Virgin Media Payments:
a) increase our charges under this agreement
b) make significant changes to the services so the services you are entitled to receive in return for the charges you pay are significantly altered or reduced; or
c) make significant changes to the terms and conditions of this agreement (including the other legal stuff),

you may cancel those services affected without penalty by giving us and/or Virgin Media Payments (as applicable) at least 30 days' notice. Such notice must be given within 30 days of the increase in charges or changes to the services or this agreement being notified to you. If you were not notified of these changes in advance, you must give notice of cancellation of the services affected to us and/or Virgin Media Payments (as applicable) within 30 days of receipt of your first bill following such increase in charges. If you do not give notice of cancellation within the specified period, you will be deemed to have accepted the increase in charges and/or the changes to the services and this agreement. You will no longer be able to cancel your services under this paragraph. If you cancel any services in these circumstances, the increased charges will not apply to those services during the 30-day notice period and paragraph J2 will not apply if you cancel before the end of the minimum period.

help.virginmedia.com/sys…841

12 Comments

Indeed and after asking about this today when the KB'd my 30-60M increase (see other thread) they agreed I could do this.

Confirmed they will be upping there prices. I canceled my broadband today and they told me there would be an increase in feb as well as Octobers.

Awesome moving house mid contract and needing a get out clause as no virgin at the new address, hope this works!

Thanks for the alert. I'll watch out for the price increase letter

Excellent news, thanks! I've been looking for an excuse to get rid of the abysmal virgin hub we have. Can't get a wireless connection on anything with it its terrible.

I'm 6 months in to a new contract i recieved my letter today. Can i cancel without penalty?

sivy

I'm 6 months in to a new contract i recieved my letter today. Can i … I'm 6 months in to a new contract i recieved my letter today. Can i cancel without penalty?

Yes you can - Read the quote on virgin media T&C
J Ending this agreement

Either you or we may end this agreement at any time (including during or at the end of any minimum period) by giving the other 30 days' notice. You must pay any charges (including usage charges and line rental) up to the end of that 30-day notice period. You may also have to pay an early disconnection fee if your services end within the relevant minimum period as set out in paragraph J2.
If you end one or more services during the minimum period for such services (other than in the circumstances outlined in section K or paragraph J3), or if you break this agreement and we and/or Virgin Media Payments end this agreement under section L (including for non-payment of charges) within the minimum period applicable to those services, you must immediately pay (to Virgin Media Payments) an early disconnection fee in respect of each cancelled service by way of compensation to us for ending those services early. You can find details of these charges on the Virgin Media website. The early disconnection fee will not be more than the charges you would have paid for your chosen services for the remainder of the minimum period less any costs we save, including the cost of no longer providing you with those services.

If we and/or Virgin Media Payments:
a) increase our charges under this agreement

b) make significant changes to the services so the services you are entitled to receive in return for the charges you pay are significantly altered or reduced; or
c) make significant changes to the terms and conditions of this agreement (including the other legal stuff),

you may cancel those services affected without penalty by giving us and/or Virgin Media Payments (as applicable) at least 30 days' notice. Such notice must be given within 30 days of the increase in charges or changes to the services or this agreement being notified to you. If you were not notified of these changes in advance, you must give notice of cancellation of the services affected to us and/or Virgin Media Payments (as applicable) within 30 days of receipt of your first bill following such increase in charges. If you do not give notice of cancellation within the specified period, you will be deemed to have accepted the increase in charges and/or the changes to the services and this agreement. You will no longer be able to cancel your services under this paragraph. If you cancel any services in these circumstances, the increased charges will not apply to those services during the 30-day notice period and paragraph J2 will not apply if you cancel before the end of the minimum period.

If we and/or Virgin Media Payments break the terms and conditions of this agreement, you're free to end this agreement.

We may end this agreement immediately by giving you notice:
a. if our authority to operate as a public communications provider is suspended for any reason;
b. if in our reasonable opinion it is necessary to do so for security, technical or operational reasons.
When this agreement ends or you cancel a service, we will deactivate (permanently switch off) any relevant equipment we supplied to you to provide the services. You will no longer be able to use the equipment.
If you fail to return or make available for removal any item of the equipment which we have hired to you, you may have to pay extra charges for such equipment, including the replacement cost and reasonable recovery costs. In addition to our other rights, we reserve the right to bring proceedings against you for the return of our equipment.
If this agreement is ended for any reason, or if any of the services are cancelled, we and/or Virgin Media Payments will be entitled to keep any money held (including deposits and advance payments) and to use that money to pay any obligation or debt you may owe under this agreement. We'll get in touch with you to refund to you any money remaining after these deductions, unless our costs to administer that refund outweigh the actual account balance. If that's the case, we'll donate the account balance to charity. We may also donate your account balance to charity, whatever the amount, if we have not been able to contact you within six months of the date of termination of this agreement.

So basically they shouldnt charge you penalty because you end the contract during min period due to increase in price - as long as you notice them within 30 days receiving the letters

store.virginmedia.com/the…tml

Read J 2 and J 3
Edited by: "stout2212" 28th Nov 2013

Thank you

Has anybody used the price hike to haggle and maybe get a bigger/better package?

Original Poster

PAUL7331

Has anybody used the price hike to haggle and maybe get a bigger/better … Has anybody used the price hike to haggle and maybe get a bigger/better package?

Yes, signed up for a new 12 month contract (but had 12 on the old, so no difference), £12.50 cheaper per month and some free call package upgrades. Phoned them back to sign up for the line rental saver, saving another £5 X). This is for the standard essentials collection.

Edited by: "blackaqua" 29th Nov 2013

Thank you this was correct..I recieved my increase letter yesterday and am now being disconnected in 30days for free..no hassles

It says you must cancel within 30 days of the notice being given to you of the increases.
I was notified in November that charges were to go up 1st Feb. Obviously I was not happy but didn't realise I could cancel my agreement. Now it seems I am too late
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants