Posted 18th May 2021
They tell me that walking is great, although I'm yet to see any benefits from it personally after having a look around, I've found that there are quite a few apps available that offer payments in return for walking (as in people are actually offering to pay me for walking, it's utter madness!)

You've all most probably heard of Sweatcoin, which is undoubtedly one of the better ones, but are you aware of the other possibilities available to earn high street gift cards and more whilst walking?

I've listed the top 5 I've been able to rustle up whilst searching the internet, but I'm more than happy to hear any suggestions / criticisms you may have below

winwalk pedometer - walk, sweat & win egift cards
[Android]

3726430.jpg
winwalk is a 100% free pedometer that counts your daily steps and rewards you with digital gift cards from famous brands, for FREE (Amazon, Argos, Costa, Google Play, Playstation, Primark, Starbucks, Tesco, Xbox, etc)!
The more you walk, run, jump, sweat and burn calories, the healthier you get, the better the rewards!

BetterPoints
[Android] [Apple App Store]

3726430.jpg
Wouldn’t it be great to be rewarded for making good choices? Track your activities like walking and cycling to win prizes, collect points and redeem them on high street gift vouchers or donate them to your favourite charity.

Vitality UK

3726430.jpg
Get connected to Vitality and track your progress towards Active Rewards on the go.

Link your Apple Health and/or an activity tracker to the Vitality Member App to start earning points towards rewards, from a handcrafted drink with Caffè Nero to cinema tickets with ODEON or Vue, on us.

Charity Miles

3726430.jpg
Charity Miles is a free app that enables you to earn money for charity whenever you walk, run or bike. Anytime. Anywhere.

Since our founding in 2012, Charity Miles has helped earn nearly $3 million for amazing charities, thanks to the support of our corporate sponsors.

and of course,

Sweatcoin — Walking step counter & tracker

3726430.jpg
The AppStore №1 and top-rated for your iPhone and Apple Watch, Sweatcoin app converts your steps into gadgets, sports and fitness kit, services and experiences.

Does anybody use any of the apps mentioned above, or is there one you use that I haven't listed above?
Community Updates
New Comment
Top comments
Have you seen the permissions needed for these apps? They no doubt make money selling your information because you give them full access to it
Probably need to walk round the world twice to get like a mug or something whilst the app uses your phones gpu to mine real coin of some format.
We use Virgin Pulse at work. When we started using it, someone messed up the conversion rate, so for months we were able to redeem rewards for 10x their normal value, so in an average month we were earning upwards of £10 rather than £1. I was part of a team that won one of the early competitions and won £500 in vouchers each. A week after that, someone noticed the screwup, and those that had not redeemed in time found themselves with £50 instead
39 Comments
  1. Avatar
    A nice incentive for those of the HUKD persuasion but... How do they make money from your walks?
  2. Avatar
    Author
    BubaMan18/05/2021 13:23

A nice incentive for those of the HUKD persuasion but... How do they …A nice incentive for those of the HUKD persuasion but... How do they make money from your walks?

they won't make much, if anything, from my walks tbh, at least since I went all digital.
  3. Avatar
    Never considered an app to benefit myself from walking, it will be interesting to find out how many steps are needed to get a voucher. Cheers @BuzzDuraband I will be looking into this.
  4. Avatar
    BuzzDuraband18/05/2021 13:25

they won't make much, if anything, from my walks tbh, at least since I …they won't make much, if anything, from my walks tbh, at least since I went all digital.

There are GPS spoofers that people use for Pokemon Go - I wonder if some people are going to manage Land's End to John o' Groats daily
  5. Avatar
    BubaMan18/05/2021 13:27

There are GPS spoofers that people use for Pokemon Go - I wonder if some …There are GPS spoofers that people use for Pokemon Go - I wonder if some people are going to manage Land's End to John o' Groats daily

I was just thinking the same thing, even I use DeFit to open some eggs!
  6. Avatar
    I used to use sweatcoins but the battery usage was ridiculous and not worth it for me, probably would be the same for all the other apps as this 4 year old phones battery isn't up to the task, shame really as I walk 10+ miles a day
  7. Avatar
    We use Virgin Pulse at work. When we started using it, someone messed up the conversion rate, so for months we were able to redeem rewards for 10x their normal value, so in an average month we were earning upwards of £10 rather than £1. I was part of a team that won one of the early competitions and won £500 in vouchers each. A week after that, someone noticed the screwup, and those that had not redeemed in time found themselves with £50 instead
  8. Avatar
    Have you seen the permissions needed for these apps? They no doubt make money selling your information because you give them full access to it
  9. Avatar
    ta buzz give it a go
  10. Avatar
    (Unless I dreamt it )I opted in to an interest with Nectar (the other day) walking (either via app or email) that they may bring on board.
  11. Avatar
    Tigerlil18/05/2021 14:52

(Unless I dreamt it )I opted in to an interest with Nectar (the other day) …(Unless I dreamt it )I opted in to an interest with Nectar (the other day) walking (either via app or email) that they may bring on board.

No dream I saw that as well unless we both had the same one ?
  12. Avatar
    Cheers @BuzzDuraband

I've upped my walking over the past 5 momths now and really seeing the benefit, so will try a couple of these.

Also a little off topic but tied in with the 'heathly lifestyle'

myfitnesspal.com/ is good to use if watching what you eat (Free version)

nutracheck.co.uk/Home Nutracheck, 7 day free trial also, worth trying both.
  13. Avatar

A nice incentive for those of the HUKD persuasion but... How do they …A nice incentive for those of the HUKD persuasion but... How do they make money from your walks?

Location data (and other data the app collects) is sold. So, for example, the fine people at whoever they sell that data to knows where you go, and for how long your are there for, and with enough meta data they can work out why you were there too. And they'll use that info for not at all nefarious reasons. Sales, marketing, political profiling and so on.
  14. Avatar

They sell your data to stalkers
  15. Avatar
    Rest your phone in an automatic watch winder. This time next year, Rodney....
  16. Avatar
    Probably need to walk round the world twice to get like a mug or something whilst the app uses your phones gpu to mine real coin of some format.
  17. Avatar
    Qq
  18. Avatar
    Can try Earthmiles as well
  19. Avatar
    Thanks..... Really good to know this.. I am using sweatcoin but found most of rewards useless or have to pay delivery fees.
    I am trying other as recommended by @BuzzDuraband . Thanks
  20. Avatar
    A few years back I was doing the lucozade promo for similar stuff, unfortunately for lucozade it couldn't distinguish between me walking at 4mph and my commute at 60mph....
    ... Nearly filled the boot of that car with free lucozade by the end of it, plus sold off them 5-a-side and gym passes....
  21. Avatar
    Barry3318/05/2021 19:01

Location data (and other data the app collects) is sold. So, for example, …Location data (and other data the app collects) is sold. So, for example, the fine people at whoever they sell that data to knows where you go, and for how long your are there for, and with enough meta data they can work out why you were there too. And they'll use that info for not at all nefarious reasons. Sales, marketing, political profiling and so on.

And if crooks get hold of it they will know when you are away from home!
    Am I being paranoid?
  22. Avatar
    Candystore18/05/2021 19:11

They sell your data to stalkers

But that's only to encourage you to download their running apps.
  23. Avatar

They track you & then sell it to companies then they do personalised ads
  24. Avatar
    sdzak19/05/2021 15:29

They track you & then sell it to companies then they do personalised …They track you & then sell it to companies then they do personalised ads

Kinda like Google Opinions then... that dried up when I turned GPS tracking off!
  25. Avatar
    BubaMan19/05/2021 15:30

Kinda like Google Opinions then... that dried up when I turned GPS …Kinda like Google Opinions then... that dried up when I turned GPS tracking off!

Maybe but Google is tracking all the time whether you have turned off Internet or on aeroplane mode then it send the data over to their servers, users who don't care about their privacy & their daily life where they are going on daily basis where their house is & which places they visit its good for them so they can be targeted by personalised ads thats what most of the companies want now a days & that info is vulnerable to hacks too or sold to wrong people
  26. Avatar
    Just downloaded vitality but it says you must have an account number which is paid for subscription sadly
  27. Avatar
    I've got sweatcoin and it's great
  28. Avatar
    44744224-rxILv.jpgIt is really great app. Here I am sharing my app.
  29. Avatar
    I've been using Winwalk for over 2 years and have 'earned' £50 worth of vouchers.

They give plenty of 'missions', surveys, ads to watch that greatly accelerates the earning rate.

IMO, it feels very much like a data-mining app but then that's the same for other companies.

The pedometer/walking alone only earns you 100 points per day. 21,000 points = £10. So 100 points is worth around 4.7 p.
    The app more or less manipulates the users to answer the surveys or complete 'app install/target' missions to acquire points quicker.

I've had tried others like Sweatcoin but they all simply give useless rewards like discounts towards products most people don't use like food delivery subscriptions, gym memberships, etc.

With Winwalk, according to the rankings data, there are users who answer so many surveys that they're literally "earning" £15 a day. Those people must have nothing to do all day.
  30. Avatar
    Not walking but I use Media cell as I am not fussed what they do with my boring life data, £10 every month (Amazon gift card) which pays for my mobile bill every month , thanks to Hotdeals I have the "Three" glitch unlimited everything for a tenner a month .
  31. Avatar
    I liked the concept so I downloaded sweatcoin app.

Disappointing though as it's just a clickbait advert app to earn ad revenue for the app creator.

The prizes are just affiliations with other companies and do not include the shipping cost. For most of these prizes you can buy the product from somewhere like AliExpress for the same price as their shipping cost.

A FREE wash bag that costs £3.99 postage. I could go to any discount high street pharmaceutical and buy a gift set that includes deodorant, shower gel and wash bag for the same price.

I wouldn't even mind clicking an add or two if the rewards were something that I didn't have to pay for.
  32. Avatar
    Which one can you sit on your sofa & wiggle your phone around & get paid for it?
  33. Avatar
    Thanks a lot @BuzzDuraband for putting this together and sharing as it gives me food for thought. Heat added! Although very few calories are burnt just reading about the apps so at some point I should get off my backside and try and get healthy. But have you seen all the cheesecake and booze deals here on HUKD lately?! I'm just tired from all that consuming(!)
  34. Avatar
    Wish I had known about these apps sooner. I have covered almost 3,900km since I started exercising once per day one year ago. Target is to hit 5,000km before the end of 2021.
  35. Avatar
    Winwalk is the only one that has paid out for me. I'm using Sweatcoin but I don't see the point of it. You can't cash in Sweatcoins for money, the smaller items are just freebies you can get elsewhere. The larger items are completely unobtainable unless you have a way of cheating the system.
  36. Avatar
    robin.antony28/05/2021 09:00

Winwalk is the only one that has paid out for me. I'm using Sweatcoin but …Winwalk is the only one that has paid out for me. I'm using Sweatcoin but I don't see the point of it. You can't cash in Sweatcoins for money, the smaller items are just freebies you can get elsewhere. The larger items are completely unobtainable unless you have a way of cheating the system.

If you don’t mind me asking how much walking have you done via Winwalk and how much did that earn you?

Thanks.
  37. Avatar
    Do these work with treadmill walking/running? Or do they require more location movement?
  38. Avatar
    MikeWard170105/06/2021 04:35

Do these work with treadmill walking/running? Or do they require more …Do these work with treadmill walking/running? Or do they require more location movement?

I'm sure I could rig a device up in my car so my phone walks as I drive... 😏
Post a comment
Top Merchants