freecyclers collecting to sell!

17 replies
Found 27th Aug 2008
i have a feeling one of the people i have given some of my baby items to is collecting to sell on,it has really annoyed me would you also be annoyed as someone else said to me it wouldnt bother them?

17 Comments

Yes, I thought as a rule they had to admit to it or risk getting suspended?

I think many who collect are like this I mean I have things I needed like furniture but as I cant afford a car cant collect it, and the same people seem to email, agree and collect within an hour or two of the ad being up.

Email your concerns to the group moderator and they will be able to investigate.

It would seriously P me off

ryouga;2835776

Yes, I thought as a rule they had to admit to it or risk getting … Yes, I thought as a rule they had to admit to it or risk getting suspended?I think many who collect are like this I mean I have things I needed like furniture but as I cant afford a car cant collect it, and the same people seem to email, agree and collect within an hour or two of the ad being up.

true!
nowdays I only use it to get rid of things mostly because good stuff goes in seconds and secondly the ads are not accurate. I collected a cat scratching post advertised as "my ungrateful cat doesnt use it" and when I collected it was in pieces as if a tiger played with it :whistling:

I have mixed feelings about this
1- If the person offering the item could be bothered then they should not complain if someone else does re-sell the item. The person collecting will have to go through some trouble before selling by whatever means (ebay/markets...) so if they do that just to get extra cash, well they have done something productive... I dont care if I just want to get rid of some old tat, saves me time taking to the skip or call the council for collection!
2- On the other hand if I give away something like clothes I would rather someone needy took them than someone greedy/tight fisted or someone who is going to resell to someone on low income

Bikebarbie;2835853

true!nowdays I only use it to get rid of things mostly because good stuff … true!nowdays I only use it to get rid of things mostly because good stuff goes in seconds and secondly the ads are not accurate. I collected a cat scratching post because "my ungrateful cat doesnt use it" and when I collected it was in pieces as if a tiger played with it :whistling:I have mixed feelings about this1- If the person offering the item could be bothered then they should not complain if someone else does re-sell the item. The person collecting will have to go through some trouble before selling by whatever means (ebay/markets...) so if they do that just to get extra cash, well they have done something productive... I dont care if I just want to get rid of some old tat, saves me time taking to the skip or call the council for collection!2- On the other hand if I give away something like clothes I would rather someone needy took them than someone greedy/tight fisted or someone who is going to resell to someone on low income

A lot of furniture goes on mine

Had a laugh though as last night someone asked for a caravan in good condition and less than 20 years old!

Yes not half!! Complain:thumbsup:

People put 'no-ebayers as I will check' on our ads, perhaps that scares people off. Yes I would be annoyed.

Original Poster

its annoyed me as they are things that belonged to my children,i felt sentimental getting rid of them but thought that i would be glad if they went to someone who needed them and would appreciate them

about 3 months ago a lady who was called julie had an advert asking 4 baby clothes to buy.she came to my house and insulted my intelligence by offering £30 for everything bearing in mind there were toys buggys clothes etc not rubbish stuff either most of the clothes are next,she said she was opening up a baby shop
anyway i turned her down and of she went
a couple of weeks later i decided to start giving some away instead firstly a bag of baby girls things that i had bought whilst pregnant but last 3 have been boys so i offered them on the freecycle
a lady called julie asked me for them 4 her little girl through email i gave her my address,later on a lady came to the house and said she was collecting the clothes for her daughter then as i went upstairs to get the clothes i noticed a car waiting outside with someone in the driving seat,i couldnt see the driver but im sure it was the same car as the other lady had.that was about 2 months ago
today i offered on the freecycle a buggy and a carrycot again this julie replied and asked if she could have them both so i emailed her back saying the items were in boys colours she emailed back to say that they would be perfect
so i dont know what to do am i being paranoid?surely she doesnt have a baby boy and a girl unless she had twins lol
maybe it wasnt her that came to get the clothes but this is a small village and there is not that many freecyclers on there.dont like the thought of reporting someone on suspicions.
should i email this julie back to play along to see if she makes out she now has a baby boy?maybe i could ask if she had a boy or a girl as i may have some boys clothes to offer and see what she says

edjaned;2836316

its annoyed me as they are things that belonged to my children,i felt … its annoyed me as they are things that belonged to my children,i felt sentimental getting rid of them but thought that i would be glad if they went to someone who needed them and would appreciate themabout 3 months ago a lady who was called julie had an advert asking 4 baby clothes to buy.she came to my house and insulted my intelligence by offering £30 for everything bearing in mind there were toys buggys clothes etc not rubbish stuff either most of the clothes are next,she said she was opening up a baby shopanyway i turned her down and of she wenta couple of weeks later i decided to start giving some away instead firstly a bag of baby girls things that i had bought whilst pregnant but last 3 have been boys so i offered them on the freecyclea lady called julie asked me for them 4 her little girl through email i gave her my address,later on a lady came to the house and said she was collecting the clothes for her daughter then as i went upstairs to get the clothes i noticed a car waiting outside with someone in the driving seat,i couldnt see the driver but im sure it was the same car as the other lady had.that was about 2 months agotoday i offered on the freecycle a buggy and a carrycot again this julie replied and asked if she could have them both so i emailed her back saying the items were in boys colours she emailed back to say that they would be perfect so i dont know what to do am i being paranoid?surely she doesnt have a baby boy and a girl unless she had twins lolmaybe it wasnt her that came to get the clothes but this is a small village and there is not that many freecyclers on there.dont like the thought of reporting someone on suspicions.should i email this julie back to play along to see if she makes out she now has a baby boy?maybe i could ask if she had a boy or a girl as i may have some boys clothes to offer and see what she says

I apprecciate what you are saying about being sentimental over the stuff but you can keep a few keepsafes if you feel that strong. I mean you cant get attached just to materialistic stuff?? OK is clothes and toys and prams but is just things, there are more serious things to worry about in life than who to give to what. Looks might be deceiving, stories might be deceiving then you find out that there is a reasonable explanation behind everything....
If you want to get rid of the stuff do it with no strings attached. Dont feel resentment because they might sell them, you could if you wanted to. They are taking risks too selling and expenses of advertising and even if they are in such good condition wont make a mint out of it. The end buyer will still get a good price.

I also offered some clothes and the lady that collected didnt seem "needy" but how can I judge or stereotype a person in a two minutes encounter???
Alternatively like the other poster suggested whu dont you add a strong warning in your post saying strictly not for resale or something like that?

Sorry if it doesnt please you, just my honest opinion

Original Poster

no not offended at all
i dont mind as long as they make it clear that is what they are doing with them then its the givers choice whether they mind or not,personally i dont like it but i understand there are others who feel as u do and just want shot and dont care who takes them
and lastly yes i do get sentimental over all the clothes they have worn and i know its silly but it makes me feel better going to someone who appreciates them i would keep the whole lot but i have just kept a couple of bits and the rest has to go

You can report your concerns and the moderator will simply monitor the account without telling them you have reported them, our freecycle grp now ask that you post the identity of the person who you have "gifted" your item to, ensuring that one person is not getting loads of the same stuff to sell like prams or stuff like that. Maybe you could suggest a similar thing to your group?

edjaned;2836470

no not offended at all i dont mind as long as they make it clear that is … no not offended at all i dont mind as long as they make it clear that is what they are doing with them then its the givers choice whether they mind or not,personally i dont like it but i understand there are others who feel as u do and just want shot and dont care who takes themand lastly yes i do get sentimental over all the clothes they have worn and i know its silly but it makes me feel better going to someone who appreciates them i would keep the whole lot but i have just kept a couple of bits and the rest has to go

I agree with you, Ideally yes it would be nice if they went somewhere where they will be apprecciated and cherished as you did, but is on the bottom of my "stress" list
Another thing that made me give up the will to select the takers is that I heard that those clothes collection plastic bags left on your doorstep with a collection date, are also collected for resale :whistling:

yes, i gave away a top condition cot bed to a fellow feeecycler, i am sure she was going to sell it. it really upset me.

she said she had just sold her dining rrom set on ebay, so i managed to track her ebay name down, as i also knew her first name. i am now watching her ebay selling activity

All you can do is put in the ad that you don't want it to be taken to be sold on and hope for the best. I would not be happy and if i was you i would email her to say someone else has had them and offer the bits to someone else.

She's deffinantly selling the stuff some people have no shame i say next time she comes round to collect knock her out :thumbsup:

Original Poster

waterloo;2837390

She's deffinantly selling the stuff some people have no shame i say next … She's deffinantly selling the stuff some people have no shame i say next time she comes round to collect knock her out :thumbsup:

lol :-D

Original Poster

dmissy13;2837345

All you can do is put in the ad that you don't want it to be taken to be … All you can do is put in the ad that you don't want it to be taken to be sold on and hope for the best. I would not be happy and if i was you i would email her to say someone else has had them and offer the bits to someone else.

thanks dmissy i have already given them to someone else
but was just going to try and get her to change her story to i have a boy not a girl as she probably thinks i have 4gotten about her collecting the baby girls things not so long back
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sweet Sunday Codes22
    2. Skateboarding advice (beginner) 25/yo217
    3. Building a PC Need Help!615
    4. Dog advice please. Think my Labrador is dying after catching the cold22

See more discussions