Freesat - Dave

Found 3rd May 2015
looking to get freesat, seeing as Sky has now gone, but one channel the family miss is Dave, does anyone know a way of getting Dave on any freesat box? I would like a humax but if another box can be modded then I would change.

I have done some searching and it seems that a few years ago it could manually added, but can't see anything recently.

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

18 Comments

hello,
I've got Humax 1000s (I think)
It has FreeSat channels as standard, but then you can swap it over to a free view status, so you get those channels.
however the downside is that you need to conitually swap from freesat to freeciew to freesat. if that makes sense.

I don't know how to get or if its possible, Dave on FreeSat.
I would be interested if you can do.

:-)

Original Poster

I didn't know that, can you record freeview and freesat?

I had freesat for a couple of years but changed to freeview, better Chanel choice Dave is not available on freesat neither is Quest (Discovery) or yesterday, task taker my advice get freeview it's a lot better.

Due to rights restrictions the UKTV range of free to view channels such as Dave, Quest and Really are only available on terrestrial Freeview (via an aerial) and are not available on Freesat or Freesat from Sky.

Original Poster

hoggs

hello, I've got Humax 1000s (I think)It has FreeSat channels as standard, … hello, I've got Humax 1000s (I think)It has FreeSat channels as standard, but then you can swap it over to a free view status, so you get those channels. however the downside is that you need to conitually swap from freesat to freeciew to freesat. if that makes sense. I don't know how to get or if its possible, Dave on FreeSat. I would be interested if you can do. :-)

thanks for the reply, so on your box you get freesat and freeview? I can't find any reference to that on the net but really interested if you can.

Original Poster

preecey

Due to rights restrictions the UKTV range of free to view channels such … Due to rights restrictions the UKTV range of free to view channels such as Dave, Quest and Really are only available on terrestrial Freeview (via an aerial) and are not available on Freesat or Freesat from Sky.

thanks for that reply, typical, I think the family could do without sky, they just keep finding programme they want to watch on Dave which results in a moan at me for getting rid of it

Original Poster

furbars

I had freesat for a couple of years but changed to freeview, better … I had freesat for a couple of years but changed to freeview, better Chanel choice Dave is not available on freesat neither is Quest (Discovery) or yesterday, task taker my advice get freeview it's a lot better.

I have a satellite dish but no aerial, so freesat would be easier, looks as though I may have to get an aerial sorted.

In the same boat, on the verge of cancelling Sky, have removed all packages so far as they have all been replaced by an Amazon Fire Stick with Amazon Instant Video & Netflix. I found an app preinstalled on it called TV something or other which has most FTA channels - including the ones the kids want. So goodbye Sky...just a shame we can't use the existing Sky satellite with the YouView box as that would have opened up a lot more channels and I sure as hell ain't going on the roof today!

Original Poster

GrantG182

In the same boat, on the verge of cancelling Sky, have removed all … In the same boat, on the verge of cancelling Sky, have removed all packages so far as they have all been replaced by an Amazon Fire Stick with Amazon Instant Video & Netflix. I found an app preinstalled on it called TV something or other which has most FTA channels - including the ones the kids want. So goodbye Sky...just a shame we can't use the existing Sky satellite with the YouView box as that would have opened up a lot more channels and I sure as hell ain't going on the roof today!

we are a week into our cancellation, and still going through withdraw, if they phoned and offered a cracking deal I could be swayed back so really hope they don't.

if our internet was better it wouldn't be so bad, but streaming is painful.

GrantG182

In the same boat, on the verge of cancelling Sky, have removed all … In the same boat, on the verge of cancelling Sky, have removed all packages so far as they have all been replaced by an Amazon Fire Stick with Amazon Instant Video & Netflix. I found an app preinstalled on it called TV something or other which has most FTA channels - including the ones the kids want. So goodbye Sky...just a shame we can't use the existing Sky satellite with the YouView box as that would have opened up a lot more channels and I sure as hell ain't going on the roof today!

Hi, I was just wondering how your finding the Amazon fire stick as I'm considering getting one? Who do you have your internet with if you have left sky now? I'm with sky at moment but find it expensive for what I have though so am looking at alternatives.

bluetba

we are a week into our cancellation, and still going through withdraw, if … we are a week into our cancellation, and still going through withdraw, if they phoned and offered a cracking deal I could be swayed back so really hope they don't.if our internet was better it wouldn't be so bad, but streaming is painful.

Just get yourself a Skybox or Openbox.

Im watching Dave on freeview tv as um typing this its Freeview channel 12....i hav normal rooftop ariel and a youview box with no other gadgets working with it...Im in Glasgow and were you live may dictate which channels you can recieve on freeview??? Any way its 1am and im about to watch an episode of Not Going Out on Dave!!! Good luck!!

Dave isn't on Freesat, but pretty much any tv made in the last ten years (roughly) will let you watch Dave if you have a roof aerial connected, as they mostly all have freeview built in. There may be an 'input' button on your tv remote to use to switch across to freeview. Also, a lot of Dave's new programming is available to watch iplayer-style on the Dave website for a while after it's first screened.

Don't be tempted to go back to Sky, you'll save a fortune without it. If you're desperate for Dave and the ability to record it, buy a freeview recorder. Most of the good channels from Freesat are now on Freeview anyway, apart from a couple of news and music channels.

Hope this helps.
Edited by: "dealpickle" 4th May 2015

phoenix4102

Hi, I was just wondering how your finding the Amazon fire stick as I'm … Hi, I was just wondering how your finding the Amazon fire stick as I'm considering getting one? Who do you have your internet with if you have left sky now? I'm with sky at moment but find it expensive for what I have though so am looking at alternatives.

I'm a Prime member so got it for £19. Even with the £79 Prime cost, I get countless deliveries from Amazon next day, heaps of film and TV on Amazon Instant Video, as well as Netflix...and plenty other apps too. Well worth £35 never mind £19. Should you wish, there are plenty guides around for installing Kodi onto the Fire Stick, which really opens up what you can watch without the expense of a Sky subscription.

GrantG182

I'm a Prime member so got it for £19. Even with the £79 Prime cost, I get … I'm a Prime member so got it for £19. Even with the £79 Prime cost, I get countless deliveries from Amazon next day, heaps of film and TV on Amazon Instant Video, as well as Netflix...and plenty other apps too. Well worth £35 never mind £19. Should you wish, there are plenty guides around for installing Kodi onto the Fire Stick, which really opens up what you can watch without the expense of a Sky subscription.

Hi, I was thinking of going down the installing kodi route but wasn't sure whether to try a fire stick or get an media box instead. Peoples opinion seems to vary. Is it easy to install kodi on a fire stick? Also don't you still need a phone line and internet to use the stick? Thanks

phoenix4102

Hi, I was thinking of going down the installing kodi route but wasn't … Hi, I was thinking of going down the installing kodi route but wasn't sure whether to try a fire stick or get an media box instead. Peoples opinion seems to vary. Is it easy to install kodi on a fire stick? Also don't you still need a phone line and internet to use the stick? Thanks

Fairly easy to install Kodi on the stick, providing you have at least a basic-intermediate level in using your computer. You can check out some Youtube videos on how to install Kodi to get an idea of what installation will involve and also use that to help you. As for the stick or Fire TV box, it depends if you value speed or price. The stick is around half the price but is not as fast as the box, but the stick would perform fine for light-medium use and a small-moderate media library. The stick requires wifi access, so yes you will need an internet connection. Hope that helps.

Original Poster

Ghost_Andy23rd Sep

Dave (Channel 157) and Home (Channel 166) on Freesat

Haha how did you find that post from over two years ago!!

Didn't actually realise it been that long and we really haven't missed sky - can't believe all the money i waisted all those years when I had it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants