Freesat, freeview, Youview, etc and box recommendations

Posted 30th Oct
Hi,

I've just moved house and I'm looking at options for TV broadcasts.
I tend to use a Roku or Chromecast for a majority of the programs and films, but want the option to watch live TV (without the chance of buffering or multiple apps).

Originally as the property has a sat dish with two cables already in the living room I was thinking of going Freesat and a Humax box. Looking into Freeview it led me to Youview and Freeview play.

Any recommendations on which service and DVR boxes?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Doesn't your TV have built in Freeview
Freeview is great esp if you have stable signal, fresat could be better as there are more channels including Wakandan news . I record a lot of stuff freeview and am still awaiting Film4-HD which is on FreesaT.
Sky and the pay players , No idea . Humax seem to be ok .
No-brainer twin-tuner Humax/BT FV recorder £35 2yr warranty uk.webuy.com/pro…00b an/or FreeSat equivalent from same source.
If you have 2 satelite cables (as a pair) then you probably have Sky Q which will not work with a standard Freesat box. You will need to change the LNB to use the dish if that is the case.
AndyRoyd30/10/2019 15:03

No-brainer twin-tuner Humax/BT FV recorder £35 2yr warranty …No-brainer twin-tuner Humax/BT FV recorder £35 2yr warranty https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/?id=smedbtt2100b an/or FreeSat equivalent from same source.

These are superb. Tempted to buy one in case my current one gets a fault and they are no longer available
All HD channels on Satellite are broadcast interlaced, Freeview they are all Progressive except for live broadcasts, SD channels on Satellite can be lower bitrates and resolution than Freeview.

GwanGy30/10/2019 15:03

Freeview is great esp if you have stable signal, fresat could be better as …Freeview is great esp if you have stable signal, fresat could be better as there are more channels including Wakandan news . I record a lot of stuff freeview and am still awaiting Film4-HD which is on FreesaT.Sky and the pay players , No idea . Humax seem to be ok .

Since when is Film 4 HD on Freesat? it's still encrypted and only available on Sky.

Freesat HD channels

en.kingofsat.net/hdt…php

Sky HD channels in the clear (unencrypted)

en.kingofsat.net/pac…ear
Edited by: "4Real2016" 30th Oct
paul123edwards30/10/2019 15:03

If you have 2 satelite cables (as a pair) then you probably have Sky Q …If you have 2 satelite cables (as a pair) then you probably have Sky Q which will not work with a standard Freesat box. You will need to change the LNB to use the dish if that is the case.

No necessarily; it could be as well a dual LNB.
adamderak30/10/2019 14:58

Doesn't your TV have built in Freeview

I need to check the TV but as it was cheap (2014 black Friday 1080 40" for £150) I'd be surprised if its HD Freeview or the option to record.
There is an aerial hidden in the loft but the original owner (2 or 3 tenants previously) was a radio nut so there are antennas, amps and wiring dotted around so no idea how long it's been there, if it or the wiring still works.

If you have 2 satelite cables (as a pair) then you probably have Sky Q …If you have 2 satelite cables (as a pair) then you probably have Sky Q which will not work with a standard Freesat box. You will need to change the LNB to use the dish if that is the case.

Good call.
I've got an ancient sky box somewhere which should work so I'll test it before buying anything.

So far consensus seems to be Freeview is better then Freesat.

More than likeky quad lnb for sky connection. Sky plus etc.
Even if was sky q prob has hybrid LNB.
Edited by: "fearona" 30th Oct
I recently left Sky due to the pricing. I tried a freeview box and it wouldnt work. I then had to get a Freesat box which would only work after an adapter had been put on the sky dish. An engineer did it for me but I purchased the adapter off Amazon for around £15 as engineers sell them from £30 - £60. I think you may find yourself in the same situation. If its satellite cable freeview wont work, if its just normal aerial freeview will work. Got any mates who would know??
googley230/10/2019 17:21

I recently left Sky due to the pricing. I tried a freeview box and it …I recently left Sky due to the pricing. I tried a freeview box and it wouldnt work. I then had to get a Freesat box which would only work after an adapter had been put on the sky dish. An engineer did it for me but I purchased the adapter off Amazon for around £15 as engineers sell them from £30 - £60. I think you may find yourself in the same situation. If its satellite cable freeview wont work, if its just normal aerial freeview will work. Got any mates who would know??

What was the name of this adapter you purchased? I am intriqued.
All I can think of is you had a non hybrid q lnb and you purchased a qual lnb?
Edited by: "fearona" 30th Oct
Been really pleased with second hand BT 4k Youview box bought off Fleabay a couple of years back. Good up scaled picture and quality recordings.
I got this one which wasnt quite correct as there are two similar types and the engineer swopped it for me. Also you have to buy the holder separate but we used cable ties as didnt have time for postage again.

ebay.co.uk/itm…649
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants