Found 15th Jul
Hi, was just wondering if anyone has Freesat from Sky? My Sky subscription finished at the end of the month.

Will my Sky box allow me to continue recording, or do you have to pay sky for this facility?

16 Comments

No you lose ability to record when the subscription ends.

Original Poster

but it will still work as a freesat box? just without recording?

Yes you can still watch the free channels

Sometimes there is the possibility they can leave recording active

Yeah it still works as a basic freesat box, when I cancelled sky I just bought a cheap freesat hd box with a recorder in it, works well enough and it was only £20. Not as fast loading the epg but that's about the only difference.

What freesat box with recording costs £20? I could do with one of those.

You also can`t watch anything you have previously recorded either once the subscription ends

FYI last I heard standard price was £10/month to keep the recording facility

jco83

FYI last I heard standard price was £10/month to keep the recording … FYI last I heard standard price was £10/month to keep the recording facility

That's correct. When my Sky subscription ended a while back I was offered this and took it on. At the same time I negotiated a £10 discount on my line rental so worked out at same cost per month and was glad to keep the recording, live pause/rewind and series link

As stated above tho, any recordings on the box you have for channels that required a subscription you will no longer be able to watch without reactivating it

We pay about £7 amonth for TV and box sets just push for a discount you can currently get 60% and a little account credit at the moment so don't pay anything just to record.

Original Poster

Edward_Nigma

That's correct. When my Sky subscription ended a while back I was offered … That's correct. When my Sky subscription ended a while back I was offered this and took it on. At the same time I negotiated a £10 discount on my line rental so worked out at same cost per month and was glad to keep the recording, live pause/rewind and series link As stated above tho, any recordings on the box you have for channels that required a subscription you will no longer be able to watch without reactivating it

Sounds good, at £10 per month works out better than the Humax PVRs
Edited by: "gdk101" 15th Jul

sparx1981

What freesat box with recording costs £20? I could do with one of those.

2nd hand of course it's a sagem so it's at the lower end of spec but works fine, didn't fancy paying £100 or so for a humax.

You can buy brand new Linux sat box's for about £60 at world of satellite. You would just need a external hard drive to record. You do need a bit of tech knowledge to set up..

Expect to see lots on eBay in the coming months too as satellite carding comes to an end.
I won't go into detail on here

We were on the same position few years ago. Opted for the basic human box (paid about £80) and added own 1tb external hard drive and not looked back. Couldn't be bothered with having to navigate past all the channels that we no longer had access to. Also the humax allows you to search YouTube through it and few other apps like Netflix if you have a subscription
Edited by: "Lemmin83" 15th Jul

If you are with BT check out their boxes on BT.com.

gdk101

Sounds good, at £10 per month works out better than the Humax PVRs

Just had a letter though offering sky original package for £9 a month, movies package is £15, sports, £19.
Check emails or go onto chat and ask them to do you a deal, sod paying £10 a month just to record freesat, most modern TVs can do that for free.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Premium baked beans just 99p for 4 cans from ALDI!44
    2. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3484
    3. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz1115
    4. Trying to create a list of short modern video games. Any suggestions?812

See more discussions