Freesat+ HD box - should i buy or which alternative?

Found 29th Nov 2015
Main TV (not smart) is hooked up to basic sky+ box, we don't pay for any services and tbh aren't missing any paid for channels. I watch on demand via the ps3. We do however miss the ability to record and pause live TV.
Been looking at the Humax HD Freesat+ boxes but wondering if our use justified the cost and what our alternatives are.
We also use an android box for movies etc (but it drives me nuts as it's so not user friendly, I need an idiots guide for adding new apps, finding tv channels etc).

Any advice or suggestions for cheaper alternatives to suit our needs please? Possibly something that records/pauses from our current setup?
Community Updates
17 Comments
Does your TV have a USB port at the back? Newer TV allows recording via a usb device.
krisward7955

Does your TV have a USB port at the back? Newer TV allows recording via … Does your TV have a USB port at the back? Newer TV allows recording via a usb device.

I think it does - but we wouldn't be able to pause live TV? Tbh I think that's the function we miss most, on demand can be a pain but the option is there.
I went through a similar experience about 12 months ago. Glad I purchased the Humax as the screens are easy to negotiate, plus recording facilities for the odd program as well as catch up TV services available. When I'm not using the Humax I have an Amazon Fire TV box setup with Kodi installed. I'm not sure what the resolution is with the Android box you have, sometimes you find the less installed on Kodi the better.
Just seen you latest posting, the Humax has the ability to pause live TV so long as it's setup for recording with a hard drive installed.
FTCom

I went through a similar experience about 12 months ago. Glad I … I went through a similar experience about 12 months ago. Glad I purchased the Humax as the screens are easy to negotiate, plus recording facilities for the odd program as well as catch up TV services available. When I'm not using the Humax I have an Amazon Fire TV box setup with Kodi installed. I'm not sure what the resolution is with the Android box you have, sometimes you find the less installed on Kodi the better.

Would you say it's worth paying extra for the freesat+ or would a cheaper option suffice? I am looking to spend as little as poss but also don't want to spend on something we won't be happy with.
I don't think we'd need one with huge memory as we'd delete anything recorded as we watch it and will only be general tv programmes no movies.
Thanks
Edited by: "Haylhoo" 29th Nov 2015
You should be able to pause live TV. Stick a USB stick in and try it. Can't hurt
if you have a good aerial, consider a BT youview box (made by humax). Got one last week from ebay for £60 delivered and added a squaretrade 2 year warranty for £15 extra.

Its every bit as good as Virgin and sky for recording, EPG, pausing live tv, catch up etc

decent free range of 60+ channels too with 5 HD ones.
FTCom

Just seen you latest posting, the Humax has the ability to pause live TV … Just seen you latest posting, the Humax has the ability to pause live TV so long as it's setup for recording with a hard drive installed.

Ah now I thought these boxes had that faculty bought from the shop so that's interesting! I do have an external hard drive we could connect however which is currently just used for backing up photos and files.
chocci

if you have a good aerial, consider a BT youview box (made by humax). Got … if you have a good aerial, consider a BT youview box (made by humax). Got one last week from ebay for £60 delivered and added a squaretrade 2 year warranty for £15 extra.Its every bit as good as Virgin and sky for recording, EPG, pausing live tv, catch up etcdecent free range of 60+ channels too with 5 HD ones.

Not heard of these, I shall go look it up....
chocci

if you have a good aerial, consider a BT youview box (made by humax). Got … if you have a good aerial, consider a BT youview box (made by humax). Got one last week from ebay for £60 delivered and added a squaretrade 2 year warranty for £15 extra.Its every bit as good as Virgin and sky for recording, EPG, pausing live tv, catch up etcdecent free range of 60+ channels too with 5 HD ones.

Does your YouView box need resetting ever 3 hours due to it locking up?
You can always get a factory refurbished box from Humax direct, I know a few people who have purchased them and you wouldn't know they'd been used. Latest versions are freetime for satellite and youview+ via an aerial for playback of up to 7 day old on demand stuff via program guide. Make sure you get the recorder not just playback model though.
Humax direct refurbished models
Haylhoo

Would you say it's worth paying extra for the freesat+ or would a cheaper … Would you say it's worth paying extra for the freesat+ or would a cheaper option suffice? I am looking to spend as little as poss but also don't want to spend on something we won't be happy with.I don't think we'd need one with huge memory as we'd delete anything recorded as we watch it and will only be general tv programmes no movies.Thanks

I personally went for the Freesat Humax because I had the Satellite Dish here and it's a good signal. Freeview HD is just as good, not sure what the current prices on the Humax Freeview boxes are though.... I picked mine up for £70 from Coop Electrical delivered to the door, which I thought was great. Don't forget Humax have an outlet on EBay which is worth looking at..
krisward7955

Does your YouView box need resetting ever 3 hours due to it locking up?

Hasn't locked up once. I hear the Huawei talktalk ones are crap but bt humax dtr-t2100 seems to be behaving perfectly

I have far too much tv to watch now
Edited by: "chocci" 29th Nov 2015
I bought a refurbished box from Humax and I couldn't believe it was refurbished. I only needed 1 satellite link as I use it in the spare room.
I attach a small 150 gig usb hard drive and can pause and rewind live programs and record one channel.
I have it linked to my network for the likes of BBC Iplayer and can stream movies from my PC and NAS

They lso do refurbished higher spec models and to be honest I paid less than they were going for on Ebay plus
I got 1 years warranty.
krisward7955

You should be able to pause live TV. Stick a USB stick in and try it. … You should be able to pause live TV. Stick a USB stick in and try it. Can't hurt

That's usually just from the built in tuner.
I dont believe it works with a usb stick but not 100% certain and it does only have 1 tuner in the small one without the disc drive the bigger one has 2 tuners
Haylhoo

Not heard of these, I shall go look it up....

User guide here if you want to see how impressive it is for the money. Best tech I have bought under £70.

BT DTR-T2100 Freeview+ / Youview User Guide

Also has NOW TV and Netflix apps.
Edited by: "chocci" 30th Nov 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants