Groups
    EXPIRED

Freesat/BT vision or Sky?

Looking to upgdade but not sure which is best and who does the best deals, just seen to be going round in circles! My husband and I can't agree and don't know anyone with either Freesat or Bt Vision.
    Help please

18 Comments

Scrabble ;-)

Banned

Why leave Freeview out of the equation?

(I presume you cant get cable in your area?)

Original Poster

Have Freeview already, use Love film and pay for broadband and phone separately, hoping to get a better all in one package. No cable here.

guv;4302528

Why leave Freeview out of the equation? (I presume you cant get cable in … Why leave Freeview out of the equation? (I presume you cant get cable in your area?)

BT Vision IS Freeview, with Freeview+ record and the ability to get pay-per-view on top of it. I don't have it and haven't used it but I've seen a few people on here say that it has left them very disappointed.

Banned

4leafed;4302585

BT Vision IS Freeview, with Freeview+ record and the ability to get … BT Vision IS Freeview, with Freeview+ record and the ability to get pay-per-view on top of it. I don't have it and haven't used it but I've seen a few people on here say that it has left them very disappointed.

Is it?

So what's their broadband TV service called?

guv;4302599

Is it?So what's their broadband TV service called?

The main part of BT Vision is a custom Freeview+ box. It works no differently to a Freeview+ box in that regard, same channels, able to pause, record, etc. This box has a connection to your broadband and that's how it delivers the on-demand service. It's really a very basic service and if you ain't fussed about on-demand and I think after a few weeeks, who would be, then stick with a basic Freeview box or look at Sky / FreeSAT. Personally, I'd go for Sky as I think FreeSAT is a still a bit too under-developed and needs a year or two more until it matures into a worthwhile service.

Just be careful...you need to have BT broadband to get BT vision so you get charged for the package!

If you want more channels, Sky 1 etc. get Sky, if you're happy with the Freeview/Freesat channels go for one of them. Or you could get the Sky Pay Once watch Forever packs for £70, watch Sky for 3 months and see what you watch, can always go to Freesat.

Banned

4leafed;4302763

The main part of BT Vision is a custom Freeview+ box. It works no … The main part of BT Vision is a custom Freeview+ box. It works no differently to a Freeview+ box in that regard, same channels, able to pause, record, etc. This box has a connection to your broadband and that's how it delivers the on-demand service. It's really a very basic service and if you ain't fussed about on-demand and I think after a few weeeks, who would be, then stick with a basic Freeview box or look at Sky / FreeSAT. Personally, I'd go for Sky as I think FreeSAT is a still a bit too under-developed and needs a year or two more until it matures into a worthwhile service.

Freeview is a good service. The cost of BT Vision makes it pointless.

Banned

Robotochan;4302826

If you want more channels, Sky 1 etc. get Sky, if you're happy with the … If you want more channels, Sky 1 etc. get Sky, if you're happy with the Freeview/Freesat channels go for one of them. Or you could get the Sky Pay Once watch Forever packs for £70, watch Sky for 3 months and see what you watch, can always go to Freesat.

Spy in the camp!!!!!!!!!

Go Cable!!!!! :w00t:

guv;4302875

Freeview is a good service. The cost of BT Vision makes it pointless.

I quite agree, I didn't say it wasn't and I use it myself, along with Sky but the OP already has Freeview and he wants something else.

guv;4302907

Spy in the camp!!!!!!!!!Go Cable!!!!! :w00t:

The OP has also said he can't get cable, which is a shame 'cos that's what I would have recommend if he could. I can't get it either in the house I'm in now. I used to get it in my old house and I loved it. Oh, I do miss it.....!!!

Banned

4leafed;4303099

The OP has also said he can't get cable, which is a shame 'cos that's … The OP has also said he can't get cable, which is a shame 'cos that's what I would have recommend if he could. I can't get it either in the house I'm in now. I used to get it in my old house and I loved it. Oh, I do miss it.....!!!

I think my comment was lost in the ether. The poster I was replying to (and recommending sky) works fro sky!

Original Poster

guv;4303125

I think my comment was lost in the ether. The poster I was replying to … I think my comment was lost in the ether. The poster I was replying to (and recommending sky) works fro sky!

Umm got that feeling too. Thanx for all you coments though i'm still none the wise:?r. 'he' is a she buy he way :-D Will keep researching.

Makes sense to me regardless of me working for Sky, £70 for Freesat install and 3 months 4 Pack subscription is pretty dang good. But if you don't feel that you want to watch any channels other than the free ones, get freeview, or annoy Guv to tell you about his super amazing Sattelite system

Robotochan;4307517

Makes sense to me regardless of me working for Sky, £70 for Freesat … Makes sense to me regardless of me working for Sky, £70 for Freesat install and 3 months 4 Pack subscription is pretty dang good.

I agree that £70 is good for the install but if you don't need the instal then it's £70 is quite a lot for 3 months worth of (mainly) rubbish (Granted that is my own view, some people may really want the 4 pack subscription so, to them I'm sure it's a good deal)

Basically if you need the Sat instal then go with the pay once thing, if not don't touch it with a barge pole!

I have Freesat, FreesatfromSky and Freeview, I prefer Freeview out of the 3 of them.

The satellite channels have more channels, but they are mainly rubbish.

I have BT Vision. It's on demand content is pretty good, plus you get Setanta free every month which is a bonus.

I think I pay under £40 for phone line, free evening and weekend calls, broadband, and the TV package with films and football. First three months were half price, and got all the boxes etc for free.

Would have gone with Sky HD with films and all the football, but monthly equivalent cost was much more, plus had to buy the HD box etc. Now you can get that for £50 would be more tempted.

All in all, would recommend BT Vision for those who don't want to fork out for Sky. IMHO it is much better than just freeview, as prev stated you get Setanta, plus all the on demand content (which is great cos when nothing is on freeview worth watching - OFTEN! - you can pick whatever you fancy watching at that time).

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Win a Swarovski styling mirror from Hadleigh.11
    2. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1145
    3. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64556
    4. Win Swarovski earrings with OK magazine11

See more discussions