Freeview box advice

Found 27th Jan
My mums ancient freesat box is on the blink and she's asked me to look for a replacement. I really haven't got a clue about these and any advice would be appreciated. She wants something basic that she can use to record her favourite programmes on, however she doesn't have an internet connection. She is in her 70s and isn't very technology savvy.

Thanks in advan
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments
Cheapest method is to buy a box like this and plug a USB flash stick into it, so it will record
Humax boxes are good and easy to use recently got one for the elderly in laws who also don't have internet.
Remember Freeview and freesat are different......freeview via aerial and freesat via dish.... generally, you put freeview in title and freesat in description humax do both type of boxes
Edited by: "leejay" 27th Jan
Humax freesat box all the way, Will last longer than those cheap £30 freesat boxes.
You need to be clear. Freeview or Freesat - they are not interchangeable. Does the signal come from an aerial or a dish. Otherwise any advice is meaningless.
I bought this for my grandad - record 2 programmes at once and 1tb harddrive

argos.co.uk/pro…448
Caroline_19931 h, 13 m ago

I bought this for my grandad - record 2 programmes at once and 1tb …I bought this for my grandad - record 2 programmes at once and 1tb harddrivehttp://www.argos.co.uk/product/5423448

Seems pretty expensive for a unbranded box. Who is the manufacturer, Vestel? The cheap boxes used to have great interfaces because they were so simple.

Humax do work reliably and are definitely the most capable boxes out there but their interface design can be quirky, particularly the remotes. I've had multiple humax boxes, and the remotes always put the button to access recordings in the silliest places.

My current one (FVP-4000T) even omits it entirely. It takes me less button presses to change the output resolution than to start a recorded program playing. Why on earth did the designer think the former would be a more common function than the latter?
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 27th Jan
EndlessWaves16 m ago

Seems pretty expensive for a unbranded box. Who is the manufacturer, …Seems pretty expensive for a unbranded box. Who is the manufacturer, Vestel? The cheap boxes used to have great interfacs because they were so simple. Humax do work reliably and are definitely the most capable boxes out there but their interface design can be quirky, particularly the remotes. I've had multiple humax boxes, and the remotes always put the button to access recordings in the silliest places.My current one (FVP-4000T) even omits it entirely. It takes me less button presses to change the output resolution than to start a recorded program playing. Why on earth did the designer think the former would be a more common function than the latter?

Its not unbranded its a bush box. Couldnt find one that cheap with 1tb hard drive.33150053-xts9S.jpg
Caroline_199317 m ago

Its not unbranded its a bush box. Couldnt find one that cheap with 1tb …Its not unbranded its a bush box. Couldnt find one that cheap with 1tb hard drive.[Image]

Bush is Argos' house brand, not a design or manufacturing company.
EndlessWaves1 h, 8 m ago

Seems pretty expensive for a unbranded box. Who is the manufacturer, …Seems pretty expensive for a unbranded box. Who is the manufacturer, Vestel? The cheap boxes used to have great interfacs because they were so simple. Humax do work reliably and are definitely the most capable boxes out there but their interface design can be quirky, particularly the remotes. I've had multiple humax boxes, and the remotes always put the button to access recordings in the silliest places.My current one (FVP-4000T) even omits it entirely. It takes me less button presses to change the output resolution than to start a recorded program playing. Why on earth did the designer think the former would be a more common function than the latter?

EndlessWaves1 h, 8 m ago

Bush is a household name. Just because its owned by home retail group, and only argos sells the bush brand its still a branded name.

Bush/beko/toshiba/baird/polaroid/tecknika are made by the same company.

How do i know that you may want to know?

Because my brother works for a company that makes the chips to go into the tvs.
Caroline_199328 m ago

Bush/beko/toshiba/baird/polaroid/tecknika are made by the same company.

TVs are, but other AV equipment under the same brand are often designed by different companies.
Looks like a Vestel box. Other branded TV's are usually sourced from Vestel, Beko or UMC.
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 28th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants