Freeview need help

Found 25th Feb 2009
Hey my dads a lazy git and can't be bothered putting an ariel on the roof for me.
So my freeview is crap through the house.
Anyone know of an ariel thats freestanding that actually works well.
Thanks

15 Comments

There isn't one really, unless you're in a strong signal area in which case they should all work.

Or you could fit a loft aerial.

Or get on the roof yourself?

Or get an aerial installer?

Original Poster

andythebrave;4486561

There isn't one really, unless you're in a strong signal area in which … There isn't one really, unless you're in a strong signal area in which case they should all work.Or you could fit a loft aerial.Or get on the roof yourself?Or get an aerial installer?

Ah ok, there isn't a strong signal here. Bit of a black spot area.

Original Poster

MoneySavingG;4486585

Here's a good site I came across with reviews for indoor freeview aerial … Here's a good site I came across with reviews for indoor freeview aerial :http://www.ricability-digitaltv.org.uk/pages/products/indoor_aerials/aerial_search_results.asp

Thanks rep given. will try that.

You could try this we fitted one and it works well:thumbsup:
argos.co.uk/sta…htm

not sure why the link is bad but check on Argos for an external Freeview ariel

i got a signal booster from argos. Was about 7 quid and done the job superbly. Got all the channels and no more juddering pics or sound.

we have a aerial in the loft but got a weak signal that didnt pick up the freeview so we brought a booster box for aerial it works not a bad picture seeing as five tvs are working from the aerial

Original Poster

ants97;4486616

i got a signal booster from argos. Was about 7 quid and done the job … i got a signal booster from argos. Was about 7 quid and done the job superbly. Got all the channels and no more juddering pics or sound.

Theres a signal booster on the house not working that well. Will try the option as its only £13 on amazon checking
ebay now.:thumbsup:

amazon.co.uk/Gol…s_t
Edit 10.86 think its the same one.

Adam2050;4486689

http://www.amazon.co.uk/digiTop-Amplified-Performance-Indoor-27769R/dp/B001ACV7E0Anyone see a diff?

Yeah the second has a built in amplifier:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Ahh one has a signal boaster.

i was going to say the dearer one got better reviews

Original Poster

ttwcd;4486751

i was going to say the dearer one got better reviews

Would of surficed either way the comments helped me buy the correct on thanks.

This is from Steve Larkins' very interesting site

"The least effective type of digital TV signal booster is the cheap "set back" type which is fitted close to your television. As the name suggests this type of TV aerial amplifier is connected at your television - between your television and the aerial face plate in your viewing room.
A set back Freeview signal booster will either have a 240V power supply or be powered by batteries. Since the UHF tuner inside a modern TV or Freeview Set Top Box is better designed and has a lower noise figure than a cheap signal booster, all set-back TV signal boosters really achieve is to amplify the noise and make Freeview reception worse! They also make your TV significantly more prone to interference from nearby radio transmitters like Tetra, Taxi bases and Amateur Radio.
In short, don't waste your money by buying a cheap TV aerial amplifier which you just intend to install in your living room behind your TV. You will find it ineffective and problematic. By far the best signal booster or amplifier is a masthead fitted type (described below)."

Try one by all means but if the Freeview signal in your area is weak don't expect to see any improvement at all. A booster does stand a chance if the reception is in that limbo between weak and strong.

If you're not going to be moving anytime soon I'd get someone like this in thefreeviewguys.co.uk/ to do it all for you. If you stay put for a few years that turns out to be a long term low cost option.

Original Poster

andythebrave;4486924

This is from Steve Larkins' very interesting site"The least effective … This is from Steve Larkins' very interesting site"The least effective type of digital TV signal booster is the cheap "set back" type which is fitted close to your television. As the name suggests this type of TV aerial amplifier is connected at your television - between your television and the aerial face plate in your viewing room. A set back Freeview signal booster will either have a 240V power supply or be powered by batteries. Since the UHF tuner inside a modern TV or Freeview Set Top Box is better designed and has a lower noise figure than a cheap signal booster, all set-back TV signal boosters really achieve is to amplify the noise and make Freeview reception worse! They also make your TV significantly more prone to interference from nearby radio transmitters like Tetra, Taxi bases and Amateur Radio. In short, don't waste your money by buying a cheap TV aerial amplifier which you just intend to install in your living room behind your TV. You will find it ineffective and problematic. By far the best signal booster or amplifier is a masthead fitted type (described below)."Try one by all means but if the Freeview signal in your area is weak don't expect to see any improvement at all. A booster does stand a chance if the reception is in that limbo between weak and strong.If you're not going to be moving anytime soon I'd get someone like this in http://www.thefreeviewguys.co.uk/ to do it all for you. If you stay put for a few years that turns out to be a long term low cost option.

Thanks its the house as well its setup with a boaster on all, we decorated and the house got ripped out basically my room suffered somewhere in the cabling works fine on normal digi suffered about 4 months ago. So its own sep system should work if pointed the correct way.
Post a comment
@
    Text