Groups

Freeview no signal problems on TV

Last few months I keep getting no signal on my LG freeview TV I called digital UK they sent engineer who said his suprised I get any signal at all wotj the Ariel in the loft. I have a signal boost thing which a Ariel engineer came to install. he also said I'm lucky to get signal as it's hampered by trees then training further down towards the mast. Any ideas? Do.i have to get sattelite dish ?

11 Comments

We had same problem, ended up putting aerial outside on the Roof.

have u got the old ariel for the old signal try thay if u have they still work I'm not sure why but they do a friend tried it about a few months ago and it was still working

Banned

?

Can you explain a little more?

Are they evergreen trees?
    Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 19th Jan

I had exactly the same problem about two years ago. I too have a loft aerial (albeit a ruddy big one!) and my signal became very hit and miss. Signal dropout all the time and frequent "pixelling" too. I did a lot of research and spoke to several groups and one of the main things that came up was 'atmospherics' and something to do with 'banding' iirc. All I could do was wait it out and low and behold, it kinda sorted itself. I didn't change a thing and my signal strength improved and is pretty good now.

Can you not mount your aerial on the outside of your property? It is always better but perhaps you are like me and the property regulations prohibit you doing so? Also, I was told by an engineer that boosters can sometimes have the opposite affect and make the situation worse. If the "gain" is too high, it can actually knock out the signal.

A satellite dish would certainly help but remember that they too need a clear line of sight - even though they collect their signal from orbit. Therefore, if you have any tall buildings of trees then the dish needs to be of sufficient height to avoid clashing. I'm toying with the idea myself but getting the cabling into my home is proving a challenge!

All the best, Phsy.

I had a loft aerial in my last house and it was worse than useless. Funnily enough the little set top one worked perfectly.

u gotta mess we it I got a loft arial

Original Poster

Thanks everyone not allowed to have roof Ariel. sorry meant train line not training lol.

Original Poster

Phsycronix

I had exactly the same problem about two years ago. I too have a loft … I had exactly the same problem about two years ago. I too have a loft aerial (albeit a ruddy big one!) and my signal became very hit and miss. Signal dropout all the time and frequent "pixelling" too. I did a lot of research and spoke to several groups and one of the main things that came up was 'atmospherics' and something to do with 'banding' iirc. All I could do was wait it out and low and behold, it kinda sorted itself. I didn't change a thing and my signal strength improved and is pretty good now.Can you not mount your aerial on the outside of your property? It is always better but perhaps you are like me and the property regulations prohibit you doing so? Also, I was told by an engineer that boosters can sometimes have the opposite affect and make the situation worse. If the "gain" is too high, it can actually knock out the signal.A satellite dish would certainly help but remember that they too need a clear line of sight - even though they collect their signal from orbit. Therefore, if you have any tall buildings of trees then the dish needs to be of sufficient height to avoid clashing. I'm toying with the idea myself but getting the cabling into my home is proving a challenge!All the best, Phsy.

​Without the booster TV does not work at all

My friend is a Tv aerial engineer I just asked him to get around the no aerial on the roof mount it as near to the top as possible on a gable end with a good view towards the transmitter ? he reckons there is virtually no were in the uk now that cannot receive an excellent signal for free view

Original Poster

scarecrow1960

My friend is a Tv aerial engineer I just asked him to get around the no … My friend is a Tv aerial engineer I just asked him to get around the no aerial on the roof mount it as near to the top as possible on a gable end with a good view towards the transmitter ? he reckons there is virtually no were in the uk now that cannot receive an excellent signal for free view

​Thanks that's interesting as the Ariel engineer who istalled it said it's due to the trees and the train line further down which cause interference

Which transmitter are you on and what group is your aerial? If you're not sure of the latter then aerials often have a coloured stopper in the end of the tube that corresponds to different groups.

Although there havn't been any major changes nationwide in the last few months, the next one will be approaching 2020 where 700Mhz-800Mhz spectrum gets transferred from TV broadcasts to 4G.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions