Freeview on an indoor aerial?

Found 8th Nov 2011
Hi,

I've just moved house and I'm trying to hook my Freeview box up. Unfortunately the rooftop aerial isn't working - the landlord is looking into it but I'm not holding my breath!

I've been looking into alternatives and picked up an indoor aerial yesterday. You can intermittently view some channels, but it's far from perfect.

There seem to be a couple of other options, including trying a different kind of indoor aerial, or buying a small aerial we could mount externally (we're in a basement flat so realistically any aerial we could put up would be at ground floor level outside).

I'm thinking of one like these:

maplin.co.uk/omn…606
maplin.co.uk/12-…170
maplin.co.uk/one…744

(I'm imagining I might run into issues getting power to the last two.)

Have you ever been in this situation before? And can you offer any advice? If so, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John.
Community Updates
9 Comments
I use this one that looks like fish bones. Has a signal booster in it and works well for me! Cheap but does the trick so may be worth a try!?:
argos.co.uk/sta…htm
This is the one that I use and am able to get a good range of freeview channels. It is slim enough to put into the corner of the windowsill - I find the best reception there and you can hide the cable behind the curtain.
amazon.co.uk/One…8-2

An indoor aerial is never going to function very well in a basement flat.
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - I've had another search around for reviews and reckon it's going to be worth trying a different indoor aerial. Nothing to lose really, as I can always take it back if it's rubbish. Which it probably will be!

Inactive

An indoor aerial is never going to function very well in a basement flat.

Indeed - that's why I was wondering about getting a small external one. If anyone has any experience with these, that'd be great. Specifically, I'm now looking at this one:

oneforall.com/en_…350

I understand that local conditions influence things to a huge extent, but any advice is still appreciated!
Unfortunately height is everything with aerials, especially when you are surrounded by obstacles. Even a large external aerial at ground level is unlikely to be satisfactory, unless you are in a particularly strong signal area or have direct line-of-sight to the relevant mast.
Could you not pay for the repair of the external aerial on the roof yourself or at least talk to the other residents and club together to get it sorted. It will be your best option in the long run and save you wating a lot of money on disappointing compromises.
Banned
indoor aerial + basement flat is always gonna be a crap freeview reception
Original Poster
jah128

Unfortunately height is everything with aerials, especially when you are … Unfortunately height is everything with aerials, especially when you are surrounded by obstacles. Even a large external aerial at ground level is unlikely to be satisfactory, unless you are in a particularly strong signal area or have direct line-of-sight to the relevant mast.

4leafed

Could you not pay for the repair of the external aerial on the roof … Could you not pay for the repair of the external aerial on the roof yourself or at least talk to the other residents and club together to get it sorted. It will be your best option in the long run and save you wating a lot of money on disappointing compromises.

Thanks for both responses.

Yes, absolutely, we've only just moved in so our first point of call is definitely the landlord to see if we can get the thing fixed properly. Ultimately it doesn't help anyone to have a broken aerial / dodgy cabling all over the place!

I have my doubts this will prove fruitful though, so I'm investigating other options too. Also, it'd be nice to have something that'll work in the short term. (All my experience with letting agents and property management firms suggests this will take some time to get sorted, whatever happens!).
There is a very good reason why most TV aerials are mounted at rooftop.(_;)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants