Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Freeview TV

Posted 9th Jul 2020
I thinking of ditching Virgin TV this year and going with netflix and freeview TV, but I'm unsure what I need to watch live freeview channels (BBC1 and ITV) as we've always had either Virgin or SKY. I don't really watch them myself but my mother does like to watch the news, EastEnders and some other things. I'm assuming we don't have the connection already, so what would be the easiest and cheapest way to do it?

thanks
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
Changed the picture, but sounds like it's not what I need. Near the tv, behind a cabinet(hard to see) I found a little box, no cable plugged in currently.

41341711-RBhww.jpg
41341711-6kSt4.jpg could this be the aerial?

41341711-615Er.jpg
Edited by: "athunder" 9th Jul
TV with "Freeview" built in or a "Freeview" box.
Aerial (preferably external or loft.)
TV licence if watching 'live' TV broadcasts.

That's it.
athunder09/07/2020 14:52

Just found this cable in spare room unconnected, and other is back of the …Just found this cable in spare room unconnected, and other is back of the Virgin box[Image] [Image]

That's an antenna plug usually connected to an aerial. Why was it going into a spare room not connected to anything?
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 9th Jul
Also, if you have/had SKY - why don't you just switch to "Freesat" or "Freesat from Sky" (available without subscription) and use your existing equipment?

TV - Satellite dish - Satellite receiver - (card from SKY if you want regional programming.)

Do you have a SKY or SKY+ (or SKY Q) satellite box? If it's SKY Q, it'll have to go back to SKY.
The connector in the first picture is often used for terrestrial TV, but that alone doesn't mean it's actually connected up to an aerial and ready to go.

Does the house have an aerial in the loft or outside? Are there any unplugged connectors similar to that in the loft or in a box outside?

You could try plugging that cable into the TV and see if it picks up any channels.
Isn’t the basic virgin tv package free view?
KeyboardKitten09/07/2020 15:25

Isn’t the basic virgin tv package free view?

When you leave virgin they will want the Set top box back
Phsycronix09/07/2020 15:10

Also, if you have/had SKY - why don't you just switch to "Freesat" or …Also, if you have/had SKY - why don't you just switch to "Freesat" or "Freesat from Sky" (available without subscription) and use your existing equipment?TV - Satellite dish - Satellite receiver - (card from SKY if you want regional programming.)Do you have a SKY or SKY+ (or SKY Q) satellite box? If it's SKY Q, it'll have to go back to SKY.

Sadly, my brother visited a while back and decided to remove all sky cables/dishes as they were not being used, despite my sugeestion to keep them.
Phsycronix09/07/2020 15:06

That's an antenna plug usually connected to an aerial. Why was it going …That's an antenna plug usually connected to an aerial. Why was it going into a spare room not connected to anything?

spare room used to be a front room/living room when my nan was alive
EndlessWaves09/07/2020 15:11

The connector in the first picture is often used for terrestrial TV, but …The connector in the first picture is often used for terrestrial TV, but that alone doesn't mean it's actually connected up to an aerial and ready to go. Does the house have an aerial in the loft or outside? Are there any unplugged connectors similar to that in the loft or in a box outside?You could try plugging that cable into the TV and see if it picks up any channels.

41342330-a64rj.jpg the cable coming down does appear to go into front room
athunder09/07/2020 15:55

Sadly, my brother visited a while back and decided to remove all sky …Sadly, my brother visited a while back and decided to remove all sky cables/dishes as they were not being used, despite my sugeestion to keep them.

Right. So that's that issue addressed. So, no dish/LNB for satellite use. Ok.

Dishes are dirt cheap. Cable is also very cheaply sourced. If you want to go down the satellite route, hit Ebay. Minidish with Mk4 quad LNB and whatever length of cable you need from dish into property. Single core cable for a digibox or twin-core "shotgun" cable if you wish to use a box to record and watch.

Incidentally, why did your Brother remove it all? He wanted it? Or is it his property?

Non-satellite route. Is the TV fairly modern with a "Freeview" tuner? If it is, all you need is an antenna (aerial) and a TV licence if you wish to 'legally' watch live programmes. Up to you, of course!
athunder09/07/2020 15:58

[Image] the cable coming down does appear to go into front room

Well, just plug the antenna plug into TV and tune in some channels. Don't take this the wrong way but is this a wind up or do you really not know how television broadcasts work?
Phsycronix09/07/2020 16:01

Incidentally, why did your Brother remove it all? He wanted it? Or is it …Incidentally, why did your Brother remove it all? He wanted it? Or is it his property? .

It's my mums house, we live upstairs and she lives downstairs. Mum wanted cables tidied up, I suggested keeping them, but she went with brother's option to remove them.

Do you know what the cable is going into the virgin box? that's where her TV is so if it's not an antenna cable, then I'm guessing we'd need to get a cable run through somehow
Phsycronix09/07/2020 16:03

Well, just plug the antenna plug into TV and tune in some channels. Don't …Well, just plug the antenna plug into TV and tune in some channels. Don't take this the wrong way but is this a wind up or do you really not know how television broadcasts work?

I will try later if I can, no TV in that room anymore. I know how it works just not what the cables look like or if we have them in the right place. As I said, never not had Virgin/sky before so freeview really is kinda new to me.
Edited by: "athunder" 9th Jul
Plug the cable you are holding directly into the tv. Allow the tv to search for channels and see what you get. That will be your setup without Virgin.
and thank you all for the help, I know this is probably a simple thing for most people
athunder09/07/2020 16:08

It's my mums house, we live upstairs and she lives downstairs. Mum wanted …It's my mums house, we live upstairs and she lives downstairs. Mum wanted cables tidied up, I suggested keeping them, but she went with brother's option to remove them.Do you know what the cable is going into the virgin box? that's where her TV is so if it's not an antenna cable, then I'm guessing we'd need to get a cable run through somehow

I can't tell fully from your picture of the Virgin box but that is a short "bridge" cable. Where does the cable (in the second pic) with the blue plastic bits on go? Does it "plug" in to the white cable that goes to the box - or does it have a thread? It almost looks like a satellite coax screw connector?

Anyway, regardless of that - the first picture is deffo an aerial coax plug. That needs to go directly to the TV. If it doesn't reach (i.e. in a different room) then you can buy an extension cable which will bridge the gap between it and the TV. Not pretty but does the job!

Argos: argos.co.uk/sea…81/
athunder09/07/2020 16:08

Do you know what the cable is going into the virgin box? that's where her …Do you know what the cable is going into the virgin box? that's where her TV is so if it's not an antenna cable, then I'm guessing we'd need to get a cable run through somehow

That'll be the cable connected to the Virgin network and as far as I know it'll only work with specific cable tuners, which TVs (in the UK) don't have built in. I think some of the freeview channels may be broadcast unencrypted over virgin's network but it's a very niche option in this country compared to Terrestrial or satellite and I don't know a great deal about it.

You've got a big terrestrial aerial installed on that house which suggests that you're in a fairly low signal area so I wouldn't bother trying indoor aerials.

I'd be looking at rerouting or extending the aerial cable.
athunder09/07/2020 16:10

freeview really is kinda new to me.

Freeview is really just a name. It's not 'special' or anything. Think of it like this. A few years ago, we had three ways of receiving TV broadcasts. Analogue, digital and satellite. The analogue signal in the UK has now been switched off so we only have Digital or satellite as a choice.

Freeview is just a brandname for what is now "standard" television. You already know what satellite is. So, digital terrestrial TV (Freeview) needs an aerial to receive the signal. This you have (as shown in your pic) on the roof, and as long as the cable is intact and attached to the aerial it will just plug directly into the "Aerial IN" or "Antenna" port on the back of the TV.

Once connected, go into the Tv's menu - find "Tuning" and do whatever you have to do to make the TV search for digital channels. Don't worry if the TV tries to search firat for "Analogue" stations as some TV's still do that first. Once finished, it is usual for BBC1 to appear on the screen.
Changed the first pic and found this near the tv, behind a cabinet, box in wall but no cable, could this be for an aerial?

41342714-3dEQa.jpg
athunder09/07/2020 14:52

Changed the picture, but sounds like it's not what I need. Near the tv, …Changed the picture, but sounds like it's not what I need. Near the tv, behind a cabinet(hard to see) I found a little box, no cable plugged in currently.[Image] could this be the aerial?

Yes, that little box is the "connector" for the external aerial. You need a "flylead" that goes from that to the TV. Male to male. Same as the ones in the Argos link I provided.
Phsycronix09/07/2020 16:36

Yes, that little box is the "connector" for the external aerial. You need …Yes, that little box is the "connector" for the external aerial. You need a "flylead" that goes from that to the TV. Male to male. Same as the ones in the Argos link I provided.

Great, thank you (and others) for your time, think I've got it sorted now, cheers.
Antenna and TV licence.
That other cable is an "F-connector" converter. You won't be needing that anymore, of course.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 9th Jul
Maybe buy a second hand youview either bt or talktalk branded recorder from cex or ebay you can use it for all your catch up tv apps and Netflix providing you can connect it to the internet
No idea if it's true, as I've not lived in a cable area since it was NTL: - but I have seen in some forums that if you have/had Virgin cable, if you plug the cable into your TV (maybe with an adapter), you should get the free to view channels without using an aerial.

As I say, no idea if true, but that's what some people said....
Post a comment
@
    Text