Groups

freeware software to password protect a folder?

Hia,

Anyone use any freeware software that will let me password protect folders on my PC - the little un seems to be big enough to reach the keyboard now :-o

I've found a load of them but just wondered if anyone could reccomend one to save me trying them all until I find a decent one.

Just looking for something simple feature wise I pretty much only need to password protect a folder and nothing else.

Cheers,
    worto.

8 Comments

Banned

Why don't you just hide them rather than install some dodgy software? right click, properties, where it says attributes select hidden

To see them again, go to Tools, Options, view tab, scroll down to where it says Show hidden files and folders

or if they only small.. zip them up... and password protect it.. (works ace for adult content)...

other that that... yuppers.. just hide em!

lumoruk;4547585

Why don't you just hide them rather than install some dodgy software? … Why don't you just hide them rather than install some dodgy software? right click, properties, where it says attributes select hiddenTo see them again, go to Tools, Options, view tab, scroll down to where it says Show hidden files and folders

Rather than "hide" them why not put them inside a folder that is inside a folder, the chances of a child begin able to navigate down three levels of folders is highly unlikely.

This is very easy to do, create a folder with any name you like, within that folder create another folder with any name you like, then within that folder move all the folders you want to protect.

guilbert53;4547681

Rather than "hide" them why not put them inside a folder that is inside a … Rather than "hide" them why not put them inside a folder that is inside a folder, the chances of a child begin able to navigate down three levels of folders is highly unlikely.This is very easy to do, create a folder with any name you like, within that folder create another folder with any name you like, then within that folder move all the folders you want to protect.

But if the root folder is deleted then everything else inside the folder will also be deleted. Not wise!

If your child isn't old enough to use the computer properly yet, why not invest in a wireless keyboard and mouse so you can just put them up out of the way when you aren't using the PC?

Password Protect your user account. Job Done

Original Poster

thanks for the answers guys & thanks Spod that'll do nicely - didn't know I could do that in xp.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2439
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764486
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …55101
      4. Can i return jewellery to Argos? + quick rep98

See more discussions