Freezer Food Tips

Found 13th Sep 2009
As I'm lazy, i want to start making some preprepared meals rather than using ready meals, so i know exactly what goes in. There's the obvious curries and stuff, but what about the ready meal for curry sauce and chips, for when i'm off to wok to stick in the microwave. I have a bag of oven chips at the moment ( i will eventually make my own) are these part cooked already I have a 4p jar of sauce. When i buy the ready meals the chips look frozen, and cook mixed in the with sauce. Can I do the same, or do i need to cook the chips first?

8 Comments

I would cook them first and then freeze them if thats what you want to do.

They are already part cooked, but need cooking properly 1st. Microwaved chips are awful tho. I would opt for rice or a jacket spud.

Original Poster

There's a lot of scare stories about reheated rice and food poisoning, is it a big problem or....? Cottage/Sheperds Pie (what's the difference) i suppose i can do, and spaghetti bolognese.

I'm also going to make my own burgers, Rustlers style, with some mince, onions and herbs and that, cook them and then freeze them in a bun. Should be far far better quality.

to be honest if you can cook from fresh ingredients its much better, food which is processed or created by manufacturing is usally packed full of salt or preservatives and whatever carp they put in, common sense approach is take some time out when not working, prepare food for next 3-4 days and store it appropriately, it might mean a bit of work but certainly worth it, health wise too!

There was something on the telly the other night and they took a Rustlers burger and got it tested, one of the additives, E120 I think it was, is extract of beetle, and I don't mean the car. :?

rice is fine as long as you re heat it to above 85 degs, lasa is good and easy to portion, burgers are good to freeze, if you do your own chips or veg, par cook them and then freeze them until ready,

Original Poster

hunchback;6281248

There was something on the telly the other night and they took a Rustlers … There was something on the telly the other night and they took a Rustlers burger and got it tested, one of the additives, E120 I think it was, is extract of beetle, and I don't mean the car. :?

Ahh yes, Carmine i think it is, it is a red food colouring. Must be to make the "meat" to look like meat.

peodude;6281403

Ahh yes, Carmine i think it is, it is a red food colouring. Must be to … Ahh yes, Carmine i think it is, it is a red food colouring. Must be to make the "meat" to look like meat.

I think I was just sick in my mouth a little there :oops:
Post a comment
@
    Text