Freezer for the garage

Found 14th Mar
Can you put any freezer into a garage, or do you need to look out for specific features?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
23 Comments
Some won't work in sub zero temperatures so you need to look for that feature
Original Poster
wayners1 m ago

Some won't work in sub zero temperatures so you need to look for that …Some won't work in sub zero temperatures so you need to look for that feature

Right, but what is that feature called?
Thief's robbed all my drinks out of mine so watch out for them.
Edited by: "thefox85" 14th Mar
Mod
Think they normally say "suitable for outbuildings"
Original Poster
I've read that Beko are the only brand that state you can use it in the garage/outbuilding down to minus fifteen, without invalidating your warranty.
Problem is, Beko stuff looks proper naff.

However, I know a couple of people who keep chest freezers in their garages. Ancient things (the freezers).
Edited by: "Bestard" 14th Mar
Freezer should be OK as its a single unit . If its a fridge freezer it needs to be dual thermostat as temperature is mainly controlled by the fridge temperature and the fridge and freezer will switch off and start to defrost when the external temperature drops below about 3 C (the fridge temperature).
Edited by: "rogparki" 14th Mar
Original Poster
thefox857 m ago

Thief's robbed all my drinks out of mine so watch out for them.

I'll let you know if I spot your drinks, don't worry.
I have a regular freezer, tumble drier and washing machine in my garage. It is often below zero in there in winter and they are used every day. Not to say you won't encounter issues, but just to let you know that it is possible.
Which explains it nicely here
Original Poster
wayners3 m ago

Which explains it nicely here

Do you have a subscription? If so, think you could copy&paste their recommended freezers, or maybe post a summary?
Thanks.
Original Poster
Rusty824 m ago

I have a regular freezer, tumble drier and washing machine in my garage. …I have a regular freezer, tumble drier and washing machine in my garage. It is often below zero in there in winter and they are used every day. Not to say you won't encounter issues, but just to let you know that it is possible.

What brand is your freezer?
Rusty8249 m ago

I have a regular freezer, tumble drier and washing machine in my garage. …I have a regular freezer, tumble drier and washing machine in my garage. It is often below zero in there in winter and they are used every day. Not to say you won't encounter issues, but just to let you know that it is possible.

Invalidates the warranties and expect problems further down the line with circuit boards etc due to condensation

Costs more to run a freezer or fridge and especially a tumble dryer at lower ambient temperatures as well.
Edited by: "chocci" 14th Mar
chocci2 h, 52 m ago

Invalidates the warranties and expect problems further down the line with …Invalidates the warranties and expect problems further down the line with circuit boards etc due to condensationCosts more to run a freezer or fridge and especially a tumble dryer at lower ambient temperatures as well.

It largely depends on your garage. A stand-alone garage will normally be much colder than one that is part of the house with a room on top. Additionally some garage doors may be fitted with draught excluders to keep them a little warmer. If you park your car in the garage and it’s engine is warm it’ll give off heat raising the temperature of the garage too. I know in the recent snow the day after I had driven my car the garage was 8c inside and outside it was -3. Mine is a stand-alone garage but built into a grass bank.
I have a Beko chest freezer in the garage. Though ours is built into the house, it never gets colder than 5degrees C.

As it’s a garage, does it matter if it looks sexier than your car? Not like they’ll go to the prom together.
Bestard11 h, 29 m ago

Do you have a subscription? If so, think you could copy&paste their …Do you have a subscription? If so, think you could copy&paste their recommended freezers, or maybe post a summary?Thanks.

Try the free subscription rather than asking the rest of us, who do pay, to break copyright.
Bestard11 h, 55 m ago

I've read that Beko are the only brand that state you can use it in the …I've read that Beko are the only brand that state you can use it in the garage/outbuilding down to minus fifteen, without invalidating your warranty.Problem is, Beko stuff looks proper naff.However, I know a couple of people who keep chest freezers in their garages. Ancient things (the freezers).

It's going in your garage. Why does it matter what it looks like?
Edited by: "RossD89" 15th Mar
Bestard12 h, 20 m ago

What brand is your freezer?

I will need to check, it may be a beko but I'll get back to you.
chocci11 h, 41 m ago

Invalidates the warranties and expect problems further down the line with …Invalidates the warranties and expect problems further down the line with circuit boards etc due to condensationCosts more to run a freezer or fridge and especially a tumble dryer at lower ambient temperatures as well.

Well if something was to go wrong I could just move it into my house for a start, they wouldn't be able to prove it was in garage. The warranties are all one year so useless anyway. You get 5-6 years to claim for faulty products regardless of warranty period but they are cheap items anyway which have lasted years already so it's not a big issue to replace them. Freezers are especially cheap.

Like someone else said, my garage is attached to my home with rooms to the side and on top. Maybe that helps, I'm not sure, all I do know is I've had zero issues.
I've a beko in the garage. It has a great capacity but I've found the quality of the internal doors and drawers is not too brilliant. Looks really nice though
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 15th Mar
Original Poster
RossD891 h, 55 m ago

It's going in your garage. Why does it matter what it looks like?

Cos when I open the garage door, people in my street might see it and think I'm poor.
They already suspect the m&s carrier bags I use for shopping contain Aldi groceries.

Just kidding. You are right, looks shouldn't matter (would have kicked the misses out by now if they did).
Bestard20 m ago

..... You are right, looks shouldn't matter (would have kicked the misses …..... You are right, looks shouldn't matter (would have kicked the misses out by now if they did).

Bestard - keeping the spirit of long forgotten 1970s comedy alive.
I put this freezer in my garage last year, seperate from house, no issues as yet.
ccnp15th Mar

Try the free subscription rather than asking the rest of us, who do pay, …Try the free subscription rather than asking the rest of us, who do pay, to break copyright.

I'd rather people wouldn't post links that were behind a paywall full stop. Thats whats known as 'being helpful'
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions