Groups

Freezer Problems - Please Help!

I have an LG, American style (Wide-By-Side) fridge/freezer type at home.

Last night, I noticed the temperature guage on the freezer read -14C
    I turned it up the highest, but this morning it stayed at -14C

Is that safe for my food? I know the recommended is -18C... but is there really a difference as most things freeze below 0C?

Thanks!

7 Comments

Banned

-14 will be fine unless you store meat for more than 3 months

Banned

if the temp probe is visible, check it isnt encrusted in ice

Original Poster

I don't store much frozen raw meat... I store things like frozen pizzas, ice cream, frozen ready meals (which have meat, but I'm sure they're cooked), frozen chips, frozen mixed vegetables....

The only meat products I can remember freezing are toad in the holes, bacon, and some sausages... Sometimes they are freshly bought and taken home to freeze... will -14C be okay for that?

Many thanks.

Banned

csiman;8701642

if the temp probe is visible, check it isnt encrusted in ice

see above.

also, gauge may be broken and stuck on -14

buy a digital fridge / freezer thermometer as far more accurate

Original Poster

yeah, I did check... Mine's a frost free one, and there's no ice on the temp probe...

I use both a mercury thermometer, and a digital one... both read -14C

I think I have a metal coil thermometer... I'll try it but doubt it's anything wrong with the thermometers...

Do you suppose it will be a failure on the compressor? If I have to get that fixed/replaced, how much would it be and is it something I can do myself?

Banned

moe922;8703093

yeah, I did check... Mine's a frost free one, and there's no ice on the … yeah, I did check... Mine's a frost free one, and there's no ice on the temp probe...I use both a mercury thermometer, and a digital one... both read -14CI think I have a metal coil thermometer... I'll try it but doubt it's anything wrong with the thermometers...Do you suppose it will be a failure on the compressor? If I have to get that fixed/replaced, how much would it be and is it something I can do myself?

Sorry but no expert. My freezer shows -10 to -15 most of the time and never been ill / had dodgy food in 8 years of use (Mainly meat / veg). Just make sure you dont have stuff kept in there for 3 months plus.

Original Poster

Rep'd for your help... thanks... I might start looking at buying a new one in case this one packs up all of a sudden...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?31141
      2. Find out how good your GP surgery is55
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6541246

See more discussions