French ban on Islamic veils set to be passed

Banned 439 replies
Found 13th Jul 2010
A ban on burka-like Islamic veils is expected to be passed today by France's lower house of parliament.

It is a move that is popular among French voters despite concerns from Muslim groups and human rights advocates.

The ban on face-covering veils will go to the Senate in September, where it is also likely to be passed.

As religious 'beliefs' go, it's a daft one and is an oppressive relic that women shouldn't have to suffer.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
439 Comments

Original Poster Banned

This is going to cause a lot of problems I think.

So I am guessing they are going to ban the full face ones?

Banned

Hope this doesn't come here or I won't be able to wear my balaclava in my motorbike helmet

Live in France, live like a Frenchman, period! Same should go here too!

"oppresive relic?"..."suffer?"

harsh words from someone who probably hasn't spoken to one who wears a veil.

sufchenko

"oppresive relic?"..."suffer?"harsh words from someone who probably … "oppresive relic?"..."suffer?"harsh words from someone who probably hasn't spoken to one who wears a veil.

It's a mix, some choose to wear one, some are forced to wear one, and some wear it as it's "tradition" in their family etc.

With something like this, you cannot state one thing really.

Original Poster Banned

sufchenko

"oppresive relic?"..."suffer?"harsh words from someone who probably … "oppresive relic?"..."suffer?"harsh words from someone who probably hasn't spoken to one who wears a veil.

If you deny a person the right to bare their face in public, how on earth could you contend that they have equal rights and if they don't, then how could you argue that they aren't oppressed.

Also, there are records of women and blacks who used to argue against people like themselves having the vote. I expect I could find a Muslim woman who agrees with the Iranian woman being executed for 'adultery'.

Doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.

where will it end? will sikhs be banned from wearing turbans, nuns from wearing their habit, christians from wearing crosses etc etc, its an attack on personal liberties and choice, the french are pandering to the far right few, where would the french be without us hauling them out of ww2, where would their frenchness be than, every body knows the french raise their white flag in times of war.

Banned

Personally, I find it offensive that someone cannot give me the courtesy to speak to me and let me view their facial expressions. I find it equally offensive that its needed to be protect because of the suggestion I'm some sort of pervert that's going to jump on them and rape them. Coupled with the use in raids and disguise to escape capture, its a good move by the French.

Unfortunately there are bound to be extremists to cause problems within France and I expect a few suicide bombers will target the Metro and famous tourist sights. But at least they cant hide their faces when they do.

guv

Personally, I find it offensive

You find a lot of things offensive don't you?

Banned

should ban them here too.

Banned

Wotwot123

You find a lot of things offensive don't you?

I don't find ignorance offensive. I pity ignorance.

I Hope that answers your question.

irshybar

....where will it end? will sikhs be banned from wearing turbans, nuns … ....where will it end? will sikhs be banned from wearing turbans, nuns from wearing their habit, christians from wearing crosses etc etc, .....

I think its only the Christians, in their very own Christian land, that have been banned, in certain areas/times from wearing their cross

Banned

Apparently it is not mentioned anywhere in the Koran so its not a religious belief, just a relic of mans oppression against women

Shockingly, I only found out the other day that their prophet Mohammed was a paedophile!

One of his 12 wives was only 6 years old when they got married and he had sex with her when she was 9 years old. Dont see that brought up very often. Worse than Jacko!

Banned

6 year old wives?

Just wow!

Original Poster Banned

irshybar

where will it end? will sikhs be banned from wearing turbans, nuns from … where will it end? will sikhs be banned from wearing turbans, nuns from wearing their habit, christians from wearing crosses etc etc, its an attack on personal liberties and choice, the french are pandering to the far right few, where would the french be without us hauling them out of ww2, where would their frenchness be than, every body knows the french raise their white flag in times of war.

But do women have the 'liberte' to choose not to wear these things, either through threats from men or because they are so brainwashed that they believe they have no choice in the matter.

It's a way of controlling women and that is not in the spirit of freedom.

People should be able to wear what they want...end of

However, if have motorcyclist has to remove his/her helmet for secuirty reasons when entering a shop, why should it be different to people covering their face for religious reasons?!

Its proven people steal from shops, no one has proved religion yet it has more power!

andel90

ANOTHER DUMB ****

Do you have a 6 year old wife?

Original Poster Banned

woz

People should be able to wear what they want...end of

I agree - women shouldn't be forced to wear such a silly cover just because men feel insecure about themselves.

Banned

andel90

FUCKIN **** KEEP UR DIRTY COMMENTS TO UR SELF IF U DONT HAVE ANY EVIDENCE … FUCKIN **** KEEP UR DIRTY COMMENTS TO UR SELF IF U DONT HAVE ANY EVIDENCE SHUT THA **** UP

en.wikipedia.org/wik…ves

Banned

I am so glad its being banned from countries within the EU, hopefully not long before it happens here.

Whilst I don't particularly like the veil its not up to others (unless illegal etc) to dictate to other religions what they can and can't do..............If the consensus amongst French Muslims are that it should be banned then its a good move - if its only a consensus amongst the white French population then this will backfire in their face.......... and they'll be a lot more veiled French muslims wearing it just to protest.
Its not the UK, so I'm not bothered either way.

I do find it odd that I'm not allowed in Tescos with a full face helmet (flipped up) but veils are (although to be honest I've never tried going shopping with a veil on)

Banned

andel90

FUCKIN **** KEEP UR DIRTY COMMENTS TO UR SELF IF U DONT HAVE ANY EVIDENCE … FUCKIN **** KEEP UR DIRTY COMMENTS TO UR SELF IF U DONT HAVE ANY EVIDENCE SHUT THA **** UP

Aisha stayed in her parents' home for several years until she joined Muhammad and the marriage was consummated.[1][3][4][5][6][7] Most of the sources indicate that she was nine years old at the time, with the single exception of al-Tabari, who records that she was ten]

en.wikipedia.org/wik…sha

Original Poster Banned

gari189

Whilst I don't particularly like the veil its not up to others (unless … Whilst I don't particularly like the veil its not up to others (unless illegal etc) to dictate to other religions what they can and can't do..............If the consensus amongst French Muslims are that it should be banned then its a good move - if its only a consensus amongst the white French population then this will backfire in their face.......... and they'll be a lot more veiled French muslims wearing it just to protest.Its not the UK, so I'm not bothered either way.

So you don't want people telling other people what they can and can't do, but you don't mind Muslim men telling Muslim women what they can and can't wear?

See, I've been juggling this quandary in my mind - religious freedoms versus women's rights, and I've decided that women exist but god and 'mohammed' don't (except in cartoon form) so I'd rather do something to benefit the women.

Banned

andel90

LMAOO still thick i see? wikipedia? are you that thick lmaoooo i could … LMAOO still thick i see? wikipedia? are you that thick lmaoooo i could edit that my self and say something like your mother sucks cok

RATHER THAN THROWING YOUR TOYS AROUND, care to post a reliable source that denies he had a 9 year old bride?

Banned

andel90

you aint worth that shiiit go find it your self read the Quran thats … you aint worth that shiiit go find it your self read the Quran thats my source

1400 year old works of fiction aint my cup of tea pal

Original Poster Banned

andel90

Yeah well why offend someone in my religion ?

Because people who believe in imaginary friends deserve to be mocked if they're above the age of 12.

Now please, stop getting my thread all sweary.

Original Poster Banned

andel90 is apparently the Islamic Mel Gibson, just without the talent, artistry and (I'm guessing) the devastating good looks.

Ban this in UK now, if they don't like it, they don't have to live here. We're a mainly Christian country

Hopefully this ruling won't be extended to include super heroes...

Banned

Wotwot123

You know, those kind of responses are for people that are pretty darn … You know, those kind of responses are for people that are pretty darn thick.

Agreed. I'm glad you appreciate the special effort made on your behalf. (And a special thank you for your acknowledgement.)

You really picked the wrong person to argue with those kind of responses, … You really picked the wrong person to argue with those kind of responses, but please, carry on.

Ooh. Scary stuff.

There is a Plastic Surgery program on tonight, better turn it over when … There is a Plastic Surgery program on tonight, better turn it over when it's on as it might offend you, you know seeing proper female nipples that you haven't felt or touched in those many useless years of yours.

Oh noes. I'm shocked. I feel so offended at your really hurtful and hateful comments.

PS..... I'm just continuing with your request to "carry on" BTW.

I've given my views on the subject at hand in this thread. Maybe when you've finished throwing your toys, you can give yours?

Original Poster Banned

Wotwot123

What I find pretty funny is this.You admit you think the Quran is a work … What I find pretty funny is this.You admit you think the Quran is a work of fiction, yet you use the "Prophet Mohammed" as an insult towards a Muslim, if you think it's Fiction, "Prophet Mohammed" doesn't exist and never has done. I've never ever seen an insult with so much fail in my life.What a stupid ****

Star Wars is a work of fiction but I use bantha poodoo as an insult.

guv

I've given my views on the subject at hand in this thread. Maybe when … I've given my views on the subject at hand in this thread. Maybe when you've finished throwing your toys, you can give yours?

I gave a response before you.

You cannot give an opinion on the usage of a veil as there isn't one source of usage, if every single Muslim women was forced to wear one, then that's completely different.

And years longer than 1400 the longest religion out there

Zeus and the like disagree

they should be banned in England also
if i go into a bank/supermarket with my crash helmet on i get stopped
because I'm covering my face
i know this does not make m a bank robber
but forget about religion
its like Muslims carry knifes because its they religion
but the also use these knife threaten others
as my son found out
if we live in a country that is for equality then let it be for all
not just what ever religion wants to have special treatment

This thread just shows that you don't liberate anybody by taking away their rights, including Muslim women.

It has turned into an excuse to insult denigrate Islamic beliefs. This in my experience is always the result of this kind of action. Islamophobes see it as a green light to go on the attack and Muslim women are pushed into taking on these traditions either out of personal anger at the move or because it is then seen as the only way to show religious loyalty in a threatened and defensive community.

Banned

FilthAndFurry

Star Wars is a work of fiction but I use bantha poodoo as an insult.

LOL - touche

pwnd wotwot

robertkay

its like Muslims carry knifes because its they religionbut the also use … its like Muslims carry knifes because its they religionbut the also use these knife threaten others

think it's sikhs who carry knives

Plum

This thread just shows that you don't liberate anybody by taking away … This thread just shows that you don't liberate anybody by taking away their rights, including Muslim women.It has turned into an excuse to insult denigrate Islamic beliefs. This in my experience is always the result of this kind of action. Islamophobes see it as a green light to go on the attack and Muslim women are pushed into taking on these traditions either out of personal anger at the move or because it is then seen as the only way to show religious loyalty in a threatened and defensive community.

The problem is though you may say the burkha is part of a tradition but to me the burkha is a symbol of misogynistic behaviour and oppression of women in the islamic religion. if i value women rights as equal to men then does that make me islamophobes because I am critical of a religions oppresion of women. Ps I have no religious loyalty as I have no religous believes.

Banned

robertkay

they should be banned in England alsoif i go into a bank/supermarket with … they should be banned in England alsoif i go into a bank/supermarket with my crash helmet on i get stoppedbecause I'm covering my facei know this does not make m a bank robberbut forget about religionits like Muslims carry knifes because its they religionbut the also use these knife threaten othersas my son found outif we live in a country that is for equality then let it be for allnot just what ever religion wants to have special treatment

why do all your posts appear like poetry? Difficult to read tbh so I dont generally.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition59608
    2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions