Groups

Friday night Questions,

Friday Night Questions.

See who is intelligent here, 2 questions for tonight,
    see 1st post........,

63 Comments

Original Poster

2 children stand 4 metres from a white line. They take turns drawing a number from a hat, the hat contains the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4. After each child has drawn a number they return the number to the hat, and move the relevant number of metres. The game is over when either child arrives at the white line.

Put a % chance on the game finishing in exactly 3 turns.

0% ?

is that 3 turns per child? or 3 turns between them? that would make a difference obviously

Original Poster

asayer

0% ?

Explain your answer please,

Scrap that, I am being thick

Are there more than 1 of each number? And is it 3 turns for Child 1 /Child 2, or 3 turns between them?

I can't work this out in my head, but I am assuming it is less than or around 6.25%

ie. could child 1 choose 1, 1, 2 to get to the line? Also, what happens if child chooses 1 then 4? they go over the line, I presume this counts as reaching it.... Need more info.

Anyway, its friday night, If I had a pen and paper and was more awake I could sit down and figure it out, but my brain is tired tonight ( well that is my excuse anyway). My first answer is way off the mark but I am sure my second of 6.25% or less is getting closer maybe?

As Zannaz82 says there are quite a few unexplained variables. I would appreciate it if you could pm me the answer so I can go to sleep without wondering what the answer is!!

Original Poster

asayer

Anyway, its friday night, If I had a pen and paper and was more awake I … Anyway, its friday night, If I had a pen and paper and was more awake I could sit down and figure it out, but my brain is tired tonight ( well that is my excuse anyway). My first answer is way off the mark but I am sure my second of 6.25% or less is getting closer maybe? As Zannaz82 says there are quite a few unexplained variables. I would appreciate it if you could pm me the answer so I can go to sleep without wondering what the answer is!!

I'm looking for answer aswel

Original Poster

asayer

Anyway, its friday night, If I had a pen and paper and was more awake I … Anyway, its friday night, If I had a pen and paper and was more awake I could sit down and figure it out, but my brain is tired tonight ( well that is my excuse anyway). My first answer is way off the mark but I am sure my second of 6.25% or less is getting closer maybe? As Zannaz82 says there are quite a few unexplained variables. I would appreciate it if you could pm me the answer so I can go to sleep without wondering what the answer is!!

get pen and paper

I say 14% (well fractionally over) but I could well be wrong.

Edit: Just read the other comments I assumed they had to land exactly at the line to win the game.
    Edited by: "james132" 1st Apr 2011

1, 1, 1 is the only combination and there are 60 possibilities?

so 1.66%?

or is this some riddle and its another answer? lol

EDIT: oh carp I realised im epically wrong haha! back to the drawing board. lol 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 not 4 LOL. I will leave the above there so everyone can lol at my maths ha

Edited by: "numptyj" 1st Apr 2011

flp14344

get pen and paper

I wish I could stay up and work it out but I need to go to sleep. Someone will work it out for you, will check back tomorrow, if it isn't done, I will try then.

All I know is that my first answer shows how tired I am!!!! How I came up with 0% is beyond me!! I should have gone to sleep well before now! Good luck finding out the answer.

Original Poster

james132

I say 14% (well fractionally over) but I could well be wrong.

explain your answer please.....,

Well, if it is one child doing it in 3 turns, Asayer your original answer of 0% is correct presuming there is only 1 of each number in the hat. Since adding the lowest 3 (1+2+3=6) therefore can't happen

if there is one of each number in the hat, it can be arrived *at* in 3 turns (between the 2) by choosing either 1 or 3 first - 50% and then child 2 must choose 2 or 4 which is 66% and 50% of child 1 then choosing the correct remaining number so answer is 0.5x0.66x0.5=0.16' or roughly 17%.

I could carry on with endless scenarios :P

Just to start it going….

the combinations needed would be either 1,1,2 or 2,1,1 or 1,2,1 or 1,2,1

the odds for the first ball being picked are obviously 50% as its 2 out of the 4 balls, its is working down from there that becomes difficult.

zannaz82

Well, if it is one child doing it in 3 turns, Asayer your original answer … Well, if it is one child doing it in 3 turns, Asayer your original answer of 0% is correct presuming there is only 1 of each number in the hat. Since adding the lowest 3 (1+2+3=6) therefore can't happenif there is one of each number in the hat, it can be arrived *at* in 3 turns (between the 2) by choosing either 1 or 3 first - 50% and then child 2 must choose 2 or 4 which is 66% and 50% of child 1 then choosing the correct remaining number so answer is 0.5x0.66x0.5=0.16' or roughly 17%.I could carry on with endless scenarios :P

After each child has drawn a number they return the number to the hat,

Edited by: "numptyj" 1st Apr 2011

oh they are picked then put back into the hat....

Original Poster

numptyj

1, 1, 1 is the only combination and there are 60 possibilities?so … 1, 1, 1 is the only combination and there are 60 possibilities?so 1.66%?or is this some riddle and its another answer? lolEDIT: oh carp I realised im epically wrong haha! back to the drawing board. lol 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 not 4 LOL. I will leave the above there so everyone can lol at my maths ha

(_;)

zannaz82

Well, if it is one child doing it in 3 turns, Asayer your original answer … Well, if it is one child doing it in 3 turns, Asayer your original answer of 0% is correct presuming there is only 1 of each number in the hat. Since adding the lowest 3 (1+2+3=6) therefore can't happenif there is one of each number in the hat, it can be arrived *at* in 3 turns (between the 2) by choosing either 1 or 3 first - 50% and then child 2 must choose 2 or 4 which is 66% and 50% of child 1 then choosing the correct remaining number so answer is 0.5x0.66x0.5=0.16' or roughly 17%.I could carry on with endless scenarios :P

Then numbers get returned to the hat though

Who cares?

shauneco

Who cares?

Me now!!

But I don't, sleep it is!!! Grrrrrrrr I am not going to be able to sleep now though, things like this annoy me!

This is GCSE maths, trying to remember if its a perm or comb, thinking perm atm

I also assumed that it meant three turns total not three per child.

Okay so here comes the science/statistics:

So to get it on the third go it's going to be the first childs second go so therefore the possibilities of getting 4 exactly are:

-1+3
    -3+1
    -2+2

So the chance of getting any particular number is 0.25 (25%) but you also have to make sure the other person dosn't pick 4 (75% chance)

So the chance for each of all these occurring is 0.25*0.25*0.75=0.046875 (4.7%) and you have three variations of getting this therefore 0.046875*3=0.140625 (14%).

Possibly.... (Unintentional probability pun)
    Edited by: "james132" 1st Apr 2011

they never move,due to the fact they never looked at the number

Someone deleted their comment/answer!

75% chance not a 4 then again 75% chance then 25% chance its the last number you need therefore 14%

4.4%? lol

chillyyyy

they never move,due to the fact they never looked at the number

I bet it will be this a stupid twisted question! lol

sn0ttyang3l

75% chance not a 4 then again 75% chance then 25% chance its the last … 75% chance not a 4 then again 75% chance then 25% chance its the last number you need therefore 14%

I don't understand where your coming from here, they need to make the total of 4 in three moves exactly. So they cannot draw the numbers 4 or 3 at all otherwise they would be making too few a moves.

Its Friday, fun fun fun fun.
    --
    Farhad

numptyj

OP doesn't even know the answer lol

or is it 8.8%? lol

numptyj

gonna be something like what i said trust me

chillyyyy

gonna be something like what i said trust me

yeah I was going over it and thinking hmm there technically arent any question marks so is there even a question haha.

As above, if they cross the line, does that count?

hmmm right, I really am off to sleep, I hope this will be solved once I get back on tomorrow!

asayer

I don't understand where your coming from here, they need to make the … I don't understand where your coming from here, they need to make the total of 4 in three moves exactly. So they cannot draw the numbers 4 or 3 at all otherwise they would be making too few a moves.

1st child has 75% chance that they pick a number that isnt 4 (game would be over in 1 move) 2nd child has 75% chance of picking a number not a 4 (2nd move) 1 child has a 25% chance of picking the last number needed to get to the line (3rd and final move)

whats the 2nd question ?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions