Fridge Freezer - extended warranty worth it?

Found 26th Apr 2015
I bought my first ever fridge freezer (frost-free) last year and have been very happy with it. I have now received a letter from the retailer offering me an extended warranty for a further 4 years at £94 which works out at 46p per week. Sounds like a good deal to me and cheaper than if I added it to my Home Appliance cover with British Gas. My questions though are these:- Do these things often breakdown within 5 years of their life? Are they expensive to repair? Don't want to shell out £94 if I don't have to - although at face value the equivalent daily rate sounds good.
Community Updates
12 Comments
No the only thing I take extended warranty on is my washing machine and I'm even thinking about stopping that. Unless it's a really expensive fridge I wouldn't, most white goods are so easily cheaply replaced these days but it's up to you.
Never. 95% of warranties are a complete waste of money.
We have a Siemens frost free 8ft plus for over 5 years, extended warranty was a waste of money.

It also depends on what you bought?
Beko , hotpoint, non German than its generally gonna go wrong
Just remember to fully defrost your frost free fridge freezer every two years to stop ice build up in the rear channel. Also don't put any uncovered water in your freezer as this can cause issues too.
We've got a hotpoint fridge and freezer, had them at least 12 years without any problems at all. Beko fridge freezers are one of the few that are supposed to work in colder environments. All my work mates have Beko washing machines, no faults yet.
But to be honest there's very little to go wrong in fridge freezers anyway, extended warranties are where firms make their money.
Depends on the brand and quality and the user if they take good care.
Sorry to jump in on your thread but does anyone ever get extended warranty on their gas cookers. I bought a new one 12 mths ago and now they have offered 4 years extended for £75. Is it worth having or not?
Warranties are for your own piece of mind. Do you want the assurance of being covered if anything did go wrong?

Brand / Cost of item should have nothing to do with it. I have had big expesnive names fail in a short amount of time yet cheap crappy budget ranges work forever

I personally believe most items should last way beyond 5 yrs so would not buy one I would probably replace it if it did. This is coming from someone who used to sell warranties on electricals for 10 years. (I dont now tho)
Edited by: "ch7leach" 26th Apr 2015
no all extra warranties are a waste of money try and avoid it .
You sound like a salesman's dream
Depends how much you paid for it originally?If its a decent brand and cost a lot then £94 is pretty cheap for an extra 4 years cover.However if it is a good brand it should last anyhow.Do what i do and instead of buying extended warranties put the money away and if anything goes wrong put it towards buying a new one.Oh and try and buy for John Lewis or look out for ones with a 2 year guarantees
ch7leach

Warranties are for your own piece of mind. Do you want the assurance of … Warranties are for your own piece of mind. Do you want the assurance of being covered if anything did go wrong?Brand / Cost of item should have nothing to do with it. I have had big expesnive names fail in a short amount of time yet cheap crappy budget ranges work forever I personally believe most items should last way beyond 5 yrs so would not buy one I would probably replace it if it did. This is coming from someone who used to sell warranties on electricals for 10 years. (I dont now tho)

Agree. My sis in law used to get one for nearly every electrical item !!
Washer broke last year, had for wait 10 days before they sent someone to look at it.
She felt badly let down.
Back inside panel was all burnt, black. I diagnosed the tip.

We finally persuaded her to buy a new one, it was there in less than 2 days.
Sad reality of the times we live in...replace and move on

Edited by: "iglimpse" 27th Apr 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants