Fridge Freezer Issue

Found 23rd Apr
My Samsung Fridge Freezer (RL34LGMH Fridge Freezer Manhattan Silver) bought in 2012 has been annoying me for last few months. The freezer is turning like it is in Siberia with huge amounts of frost and the items become rock solid. At the same time, the fridge cabinets are not cooling enough. There is little bit of cooling in the door shelfs and the vegetable shelf but all others seem to be at room temperature.
Yesterday I noticed huge accumulation of water below the vegetable tray giving me suspicion that the fan supposed to circulate the cold air from condenser is not working.
Before I call somebody to look into and be told to buy a new fridge, I wanted opinion from any experts over here who could advise if it is simply removing some of the covers and cleaning it to make it functional. Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
Have you cleaned the drainage hole at the back of the fridge , won't solve the freezer issue, but should at least let the water drain away from the fridge as its meant to . The fridge freezer should have come with a little plastic pokey tool specifically for the job.
Have you had it in a garage or outbuilding during the winter ? If so the temperature control of the fridge compartment /and freezer compartment don't work correctly under about 5degrees C . This might have led to frosting in the freezer compartment and incorrect temperature differential .

Try defrosting it completely , give it a good vac and wipe to get rid of the dust round the bottom /back (where the compressor and cooling matrix are) . Might work after that - certainly worth trying . After that the only cheap problem to fix is low coolant , but theres no quick way to check that without getting a fridge guy to check the pressure and recharge .
Edited by: "rogparki" 23rd Apr
tinkerbellian15 m ago

Have you cleaned the drainage hole at the back of the fridge , won't solve …Have you cleaned the drainage hole at the back of the fridge , won't solve the freezer issue, but should at least let the water drain away from the fridge as its meant to . The fridge freezer should have come with a little plastic pokey tool specifically for the job.

I have not done anything so far other than throwing large amounts of food which got spoilt

I do not remember any tool sent with the fridge though if they would have had then would be difficult to locate as it is nearly 6 years in the past. I will check if I do something with the drainage hole but need will to shift the fridge as it is wedge between the wall and the boiler unit.
rogparki15 m ago

Have you had it in a garage or outbuilding during the winter ? If so the …Have you had it in a garage or outbuilding during the winter ? If so the temperature control of the fridge compartment /and freezer compartment don't work correctly under about 5degrees C . This might have led to frosting in the freezer compartment and incorrect temperature differential . Try defrosting it completely , give it a good vac and wipe to get rid of the dust round the bottom /back (where the compressor and cooling matrix are) . Might work after that - certainly worth trying . After that the only cheap problem to fix is low coolant , but theres no quick way to check that without getting a fridge guy to check the pressure and recharge .

The fridge was in the kitchen from the time has been purchased. I will try defrosting it completely and see if cleaning the back helps.

In the past, whenever I tried to get somebody to fix white goods they will simply charge me the call out and say that the unit is beyond repair. i do not know if there are genuine repair people these days.
varunadas7 m ago

I have not done anything so far other than throwing large amounts of food …I have not done anything so far other than throwing large amounts of food which got spoilt I do not remember any tool sent with the fridge though if they would have had then would be difficult to locate as it is nearly 6 years in the past. I will check if I do something with the drainage hole but need will to shift the fridge as it is wedge between the wall and the boiler unit.

The drainage hole is in the bottom inside of the fridge , sorry I didn't explain it clearly . If you take the bottom drawer out you should see a small hole , normally in the middle . It needs to be empty of gunk for the water to drain away . If you don't have the tool something like a cotton bud with the cotton wool removed should work to clean it out
Isn't this meant to be frost free? It shouldn't be producing vast amounts of frost if it is.
What you need to do is empty the fridge and freezer compartments completely and then defrost the whole thing for at least 24, ideally 48 hrs. What's happened is the small channels in the back of the fridge that transfer the cold air to the fridge compartment have got condensation indide them and this has then frozen thus blocking the channels. This is why the freezer compartment is icing up all the time and the fridge compartment is remaining at almost room temperature. If you can when you defrost it, gently warm the back of the unit with a hairdryer if you can to speed up the process of de- icing the channels in the back of the fridge. Whatever you do don't be in any rush to turn it back on and leave it as long as you possibly can to allow the channels to defrost properly.
I hope this all makes some sort of sense, as I'm almost certain that this is what's causing the problem.
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 31 m ago

Isn't this meant to be frost free? It shouldn't be producing vast amounts …Isn't this meant to be frost free? It shouldn't be producing vast amounts of frost if it is.

Frost free means it has a heater element wrapped around the refrigeration pipe to keep frost levels down. You stick a bowl of water in a frost free freezer and it will block up with ice. They work well but need a defrost every 2-3 years depending on moisture content.
This happened to my frost free Hotpoint. The fan had stopped working effectively so we replaced ourselves but only got a few more months out of it. We had to keep clearing blocks of ice from behind the freezer panel, it was preventing the cool air going up to the fridge as mentioned. Defrosting would have been better but we had a freezer full worth a lot and no where to put it. People often don’t realise that even frost free fridge freezers should ideally be defrosted now and again especially in humid conditions (not really a problem here) or if the door is opened quite frequently. It was our fault ours faulted because for months we had the tumble dryer right next to it which is not at all recommended but we have a new kitchen now so that’s no longer a problem.
kester7614 m ago

Frost free means it has a heater element wrapped around the refrigeration …Frost free means it has a heater element wrapped around the refrigeration pipe to keep frost levels down. You stick a bowl of water in a frost free freezer and it will block up with ice. They work well but need a defrost every 2-3 years depending on moisture content.

I have a frost free so I know what they are like. This one doesn't sound like it is behaving
psychobitchfromhell29 m ago

I have a frost free so I know what they are like. This one doesn't sound …I have a frost free so I know what they are like. This one doesn't sound like it is behaving

It's probably a bad door seal or someone put water in there without covering up. The freezer part is working fine so it's either the heater element part is damaged or the back channel is full of ice. Only two parts are used by the fridge which is the fan and the baffle to control how much air gets into the fridge if you have a single condenser.
Dyslexic_Dog1 h, 47 m ago

What you need to do is empty the fridge and freezer compartments …What you need to do is empty the fridge and freezer compartments completely and then defrost the whole thing for at least 24, ideally 48 hrs. What's happened is the small channels in the back of the fridge that transfer the cold air to the fridge compartment have got condensation indide them and this has then frozen thus blocking the channels. This is why the freezer compartment is icing up all the time and the fridge compartment is remaining at almost room temperature. If you can when you defrost it, gently warm the back of the unit with a hairdryer if you can to speed up the process of de- icing the channels in the back of the fridge. Whatever you do don't be in any rush to turn it back on and leave it as long as you possibly can to allow the channels to defrost properly.I hope this all makes some sort of sense, as I'm almost certain that this is what's causing the problem.

Ditto, worked for my Amana until the compressor failed.
kester7618 m ago

It's probably a bad door seal or someone put water in there without …It's probably a bad door seal or someone put water in there without covering up. The freezer part is working fine so it's either the heater element part is damaged or the back channel is full of ice. Only two parts are used by the fridge which is the fan and the baffle to control how much air gets into the fridge if you have a single condenser.

these days six years out of a fridge seems like a good deal. They don't seem to last like they used to. My last one gave up the ghost after four years. Pcb went and it would've taken four weeks to get a new one as it was discontinued
psychobitchfromhell18 m ago

these days six years out of a fridge seems like a good deal. They don't …these days six years out of a fridge seems like a good deal. They don't seem to last like they used to. My last one gave up the ghost after four years. Pcb went and it would've taken four weeks to get a new one as it was discontinued

Ours is about 12 years old. Damn freezer drawers are all broken though. I got a spare control board as I couldn't get the fan work I g after I had stripped it and replaced foil reflector with tinfoil. Engineer told me the fan wouldn't work till the freezer got to temperature. Gave me the the control board as he felt bad for me.
If you need a fan blade espares.co.uk/product/es1406005/refrigerator-fan-blade?pageNumber=1&SearchTerm=RL34LGMH%20fan

But I would say it’s probably a blocked drain or failed temperature sensor which can be bought here espares.co.uk/product/es1642641/fridge-freezer-sensor?pageNumber=4&SearchTerm=RL34LGMH

Blurb from website(espares):

....... Fridge Freezer Temperature Sensor

If your freezer is unexpectedly defrosting or over-freezing it could be due to a defective temperature sensor. If that's the case eSpares has just the part to solve all your woes. You'll soon be back with a fully working fridge freezer to keep all your favourite foods ice cold.

Genuine spare part suitable for select models of Samsung freezers.........
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 23rd Apr
kester761 h, 24 m ago

Ours is about 12 years old. Damn freezer drawers are all broken though. I …Ours is about 12 years old. Damn freezer drawers are all broken though. I got a spare control board as I couldn't get the fan work I g after I had stripped it and replaced foil reflector with tinfoil. Engineer told me the fan wouldn't work till the freezer got to temperature. Gave me the the control board as he felt bad for me.

My last one died the death about a week before we were going on holiday. It was about four years old.
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 14 m ago

My last one died the death about a week before we were going on holiday. …My last one died the death about a week before we were going on holiday. It was about four years old.

Ouch, that's barely out of warranty.
kester762 h, 55 m ago

Ouch, that's barely out of warranty.

I know. I wasn't best pleased but what can you do? Couldn't wait a month for replacement parts.
Our Admiral had blockage at drainage point. Put hairdryer on it and all ok.
Dyslexic_Dog17 h, 5 m ago

What you need to do is empty the fridge and freezer compartments …What you need to do is empty the fridge and freezer compartments completely and then defrost the whole thing for at least 24, ideally 48 hrs. What's happened is the small channels in the back of the fridge that transfer the cold air to the fridge compartment have got condensation indide them and this has then frozen thus blocking the channels. This is why the freezer compartment is icing up all the time and the fridge compartment is remaining at almost room temperature. If you can when you defrost it, gently warm the back of the unit with a hairdryer if you can to speed up the process of de- icing the channels in the back of the fridge. Whatever you do don't be in any rush to turn it back on and leave it as long as you possibly can to allow the channels to defrost properly.I hope this all makes some sort of sense, as I'm almost certain that this is what's causing the problem.

I'm having the same issue with my freezer that you describe. I will try this! Thankyou. Really need to use the food in my freezer first. Thanks
Spent few hours removing all the shelves in the fridge section. Noticed a cover at the back and removed it after unscrewing 3 screws. Weirdly found nothing over there other than few holes but the back of cover had some thermacol similar to that used in packaging. There were 2 connectors going to the PCB - not sure what is the function of this as I could not see the part behind the thermacol padding.
Then removed the freezer drawers and noticed a wavy flap-believe it is the evaporator cover as shown in espares. Noticed quite a buildup of ice behind the flap. I tried removing the flap to get access to the fan but the section of flap was stuck and was worried to apply too much pressure in case it breaks.
Had to turn the fridge on as freezer is full of items but not seeing much cooling in fridge. Will see few more hours if there is any difference.
I think over loading the freezer for last few years must have caused the issue. It would be strange if the refrigerator dies so soon.
My first refrigerator bought 16 years back in my home country is still doing great. Only had to replace the thermostat once few years back.
Edited by: "varunadas" 24th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants