Groups
    EXPIRED

Fridge freezer / Washing machine Question?

Hi All,

We are moving into our new flat in the next week however, it comes completely unfurnished, although freshly painted and carpeted!

Now we need a fridge freezer and possibly washing machine, are there any good deals about, or would we be better off buying second hand. Budget of about £350 maybe slightly more so not too sure, flats all electric if that helps?

New to kitchen appliances, any assistance would be greatly appreciated! First thought was to find a second hand shop with a decent fridge and washing machine there and getting a combined price, however, you wont really know what lifespan you will get. But yeah, mainly a fridge freezer for now ( i can live without a washing machine for a few weeks i guess) from research i think i at least need an A+ electricity consumption model.

Any thoughts or advice welcome

Thanks guys. :-)

15 Comments

Hi as you'll find out (loads of people will post suggestions) you can get the basics new for £330 - £350 . Secondhand is fine providing you cast trust the shop . For starters you can get a Beko or Bush Washing machine for about £150 - £160 new from Argos , Currys , Appliances On Line and others . At the moment you can also get a Beko Fridge Freezer from argos for £199 ,so that's a start . Just go to the search box at the top right of the page put in Fridge Freezer and it'll come up with some deals members have posted (same for "Washing Machine " .
    At least having a look on line will give you an idea of how much stuff is new and then you might decide its not worth the risk of buying used . Minimum guarantee you'll get on new stuff is a year and often longer than that .
    I'm sure other members will leave you links to have a look at , Good Luck .

Original Poster

Anyone??, Just buying a new A+ or A++ better option? Or buying second hand A+ FF and having left over money for washing machine!? Anyone had this predicament before?

Cheers

Original Poster

Thanks, think you answered when i put in my second response in! But yeah i get what your saying, only thing putting me off with beko is Ive seen the explosion stories (washing machine) in BBC watchdog, but anyways sure that's less than 1% of them. Will check Argos out. I guess tho, if you can stretch slightly more on your budget, new is always better then used when it comes to an appliance like a fridge freezer or washing machine??.

You can get a fridge freezer and a washing machine from Currys for your budget. For example you could get an:

Essentials C50BW12 Fridge Freezer - White (£169.99)
    currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

LOGIK L712WM13 Washing Machine - White (£189.99)

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

Together these would be £359.98 but you can get them for £350.48 by using the bundle offer. Obviously you don't have to pick these but only certain items are in the bundle deal. You can definitely get new appliances for your budget.

Original Poster

Col67

You can get a fridge freezer and a washing machine from Currys for your … You can get a fridge freezer and a washing machine from Currys for your budget. For example you could get an:Essentials C50BW12 Fridge Freezer - White (£169.99)http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/refrigeration/fridge-freezers/essentials-c50bw12-fridge-freezer-white-12272072-pdt.html#cat-0LOGIK L712WM13 Washing Machine - White (£189.99)http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/laundry-dishwashers/washing-machines/logik-l712wm13-washing-machine-white-20227293-pdt.html#cat-0Together these would be £359.98 but you can get them for £350.48 by using the bundle offer. Obviously you don't have to pick these but only certain items are in the bundle deal. You can definitely get new appliances for your budget.

Ok thanks sounds good, might even go for it, only thing is.. I wont have a tumble dryer, but i guess leaving on an airier next to an open window will be alright? Or would it be worth it to buy a washer/dryer? But always heard bad things about these, for example if one part breaks down they both do?

Also do new appliances like these come with a 1yr guarantee atleast?

Thanks again.

Original Poster

Sorry if these questions sound stupid. I am quite a tech freak, however as i mentioned kitchen appliances Ive never had to deal with!

Original Poster

Ok just seen the 1 yr manufactures guarantee, what does this usually cover? parts and labor?

Both come with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty and should cover parts and labour but I would double check with Currys. I personally have had a washer/dryer and I now have separate washer and dryer and I prefer the separate machines. I found that if I had a lot of washing (2 kids) it took forever because if I was washing then I couldn't use the dryer. And as you mentioned you do have a problem if a washer/dryer breaks down.
    Edited by: "Col67" 12th Dec 2014

If you look on the argos website you can get a 7kg 1200 spin speed washing mahine and a fridge freezer with three freezer shelves for £320. 1200 spin speed is perfect Id say to get your clothes well spun without being badly creased and 7kg is a good size for two of you. The fridge freezer isn't huge but should be plenty again for a couple. There are different options for both items for around the same price, so have a look around. At your budget I wouldnt worry about brand names.

Although these items have 12 month warranties, a washing machine and fridge should reasonably be expected to last at least four years. So if either of yours break down before then and it's not your fault, you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act. You might have to pay for an independent engineer to come and check the problem out, but then you will be reimbursed when they confirm that it's a problem with the item not with your treatment of it and you would then get it repaired for free or replaced. This is why I never buy extended warranties.

Have you checked to make sure that you have the pipework fitment under your kitchen sink or wherever it's going, to attach the washing machine hoses to? If you don't, you'll need to buy the pipework for it and install it, or factor in someone doing it for you and connecting up your machine. (shouldnt cost you more than £30 or so if you supply the fitments and you use a site like Gumtree rather than some pricy yellow pages plumber).

Original Poster

therealslimkaty

If you look on the argos website you can get a 7kg 1200 spin speed … If you look on the argos website you can get a 7kg 1200 spin speed washing mahine and a fridge freezer with three freezer shelves for £320. 1200 spin speed is perfect Id say to get your clothes well spun without being badly creased and 7kg is a good size for two of you. The fridge freezer isn't huge but should be plenty again for a couple. There are different options for both items for around the same price, so have a look around. At your budget I wouldnt worry about brand names.Although these items have 12 month warranties, a washing machine and fridge should reasonably be expected to last at least four years. So if either of yours break down before then and it's not your fault, you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act. You might have to pay for an independent engineer to come and check the problem out, but then you will be reimbursed when they confirm that it's a problem with the item not with your treatment of it and you would then get it repaired for free or replaced. This is why I never buy extended warranties. Have you checked to make sure that you have the pipework fitment under your kitchen sink or wherever it's going, to attach the washing machine hoses to? If you don't, you'll need to buy the pipework for it and install it, or factor in someone doing it for you and connecting up your machine. (shouldn't cost you more than £30 or so if you supply the fitments and you use a site like Gumtree rather than some pricy yellow pages plumber).

Hi not 100% sure about the pipework but i do know there was a washing there and a bunch of pipes there now (landlord assured me its all plumed in and ready to go for a new washing machine as previous tenant just removed his when moved out), seeing as its a full electric flat it should be cool. Do you have the links for the particular products? I mean i don't wanna be with out a fridge for Christmas, also not sure what the turnaround time with delivery with Argos is? I'm sure in the past Ive seen 14-30 days delivery, plus with Xmas maybe slightly longer?

So its literally curry's vs Argos ATM lol!

Thank you for reply Katy.

Good re the plumbing, it should be simple enough then for you to install a new one. Washing machine. Has a lot of features for the price as it's been reduced a lot. It has a 15 min speed cycle, a half load option and even a 12 hour delay start option which can be invaluable if your all electric flat has economy 7 meter (electricity is less than half the day time rate through the night) so you can set the machine to run when youre in bed. Looks ideal. If its not available in your area you can check the site for a couple of other machines at the same price, but they dont have such good features. argos.co.uk/sta…htm. I filtered my search to machines that can be delivered within 3 to 5 days.

Fridge Freezer. It's not tall, its four and a half feet, as it's cheap. 169.99. My mum has one this size and it has plenty room for her. I'd say it's perfect for a couple, but maybe small for a family. argos.co.uk/sta…htm It's not frost-free but to be honest I wouldn't have a frost free one again. I had a gorgeous one before that was gigantically tall but it gobbled up electricity compared to my manual defrost one that I have now. There is a video on the Argo page that you can watch to see what it's like in a kitchen setting.

This Beko (get a smoke detector and don't worry lol) is better at five and a half feet tall, extra shelves etc. its a bit more at 199.99 but its been reduced by a fair bit so has extra features such as antibacterial coatings. argos.co.uk/sta…htm

re a tumble dryer, will you be having electric storage heaters in your flat? If so, you could just buy a clothes horse and sit it round a heater (being careful the washing doesnt touch the heater) and leave it overnight while the heater charges up. People say it makes damp, condensation etc but I had to do it for years and never had any trouble. If its just a couple of people's washing it should be fine. A tumble dryer definitely is convenient though, I wouldnt like to be without mine now. You can save up for that when you're all in and organised in your flat.

Good luck
    Edited by: "therealslimkaty" 12th Dec 2014

Dont get a washer/dryer. Had one few years back and thought it was rubbish at drying.

Wait for the sales for both appliances. Not long now. Hopefully you'll be able to save a few quid. Fridge freezers tend to be reliable, washing machines are far more mechanical. As previously stated Beko are good at a budget price.

Original Poster

ok thanks everyone for your input

Have a look on gumtree under freebies a lot of people get there kitchens upgraded before Christmas, and give white goods away.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value25
      2. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1954
      3. Virgin Media Price Hike retention Deals1318
      4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 187 ***1128

See more discussions