Fridge/freezer.

Found 30th Jul
Any good deals around? Thinking the hisense looks a good buy at £250 in Argos?
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
Please please please ensure whichever model you get has a metal back panel. This significantly reduces the risk of fire should anything go wrong. If you can afford it too avoid the cheaper whirlpool like brands such as LEC/Beko/indesit/hotpoint etc. You really get what you pay for with these types of products.

A beko fridge burnt my mums house down nearly two years, the model has never been recalled and she barely made it out before it exploded (the canister on the back) after falling down the stairs due to very heavy smoke due to the fire. It’s also worth checking the recall lists to give you an idea of which suppliers recall a lot of models. All suppliers occasionally get a recall but as you’ll see some suppliers get an awful lot, those should be avoided. gov.uk/government/publications/household-appliances-recalled-due-to-fire-risk
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 31st Jul
You will not go wrong with a Hotpoint they usually sit around £200-£250 Ao.com or Curry’s
cmdr_elito3 h, 54 m ago

Please please please ensure whichever model you get has a metal back …Please please please ensure whichever model you get has a metal back panel. This significantly reduces the risk of fire should anything go wrong. If you can afford it too avoid the cheaper whirlpool like brands such as LEC/Beko/indesit/hotpoint etc. You really get what you pay for with these types of products. A beko fridge burnt my mums house down nearly two years, the model has never been recalled and she barely made it out before it exploded (the canister on the back) after falling down the stairs due to very heavy smoke due to the fire. It’s also worth checking the recall lists to give you an idea of which suppliers recall a lot of models. All suppliers occasionally get a recall but as you’ll see some suppliers get an awful lot, those should be avoided. gov.uk/government/publications/household-appliances-recalled-due-to-fire-risk

Your poor Mum. That's awful x Okay I'm a bit dumb but how do I know which have a metal back panel or will it be on the specs? X
ASongOfFireAndIce31st Jul

You will not go wrong with a Hotpoint they usually sit around £200-£250 A …You will not go wrong with a Hotpoint they usually sit around £200-£250 Ao.com or Curry’s

Thank you x but comment above says not hotpoint x oh I'm stuck lol

Your poor Mum. That's awful x Okay I'm a bit dumb but how do I know which have a metal back panel or will it be on the specs? X
My Father In Law fixes all of the above fridges and washing machines for a living self employed trust me Hotpoint are best at that budget!
Co op eBay code POSE20 20% off ebaystores.co.uk/Co-…c=1
Candy appear to have the metal rear panel.
Edited by: "ellenw" 31st Jul

My Father In Law fixes all of the above fridges and washing machines for a …My Father In Law fixes all of the above fridges and washing machines for a living self employed trust me Hotpoint are best at that budget!

Thank you x

My Father In Law fixes all of the above fridges and washing machines for a …My Father In Law fixes all of the above fridges and washing machines for a living self employed trust me Hotpoint are best at that budget!

Yes, Hotpoint will keep him in business since they're so unreliable.

100% avoid Hotpoint/Indesit crap.
.MUFC.9 m ago

Yes, Hotpoint will keep him in business since they're so unreliable.100% …Yes, Hotpoint will keep him in business since they're so unreliable.100% avoid Hotpoint/Indesit crap.

How so my last one lasted me 10 years?? 100% Avoid is a strong statement-If people have 1 an issue with a brand or product shouldn’t dismiss it entirely!

How so my last one lasted me 10 years?? 100% Avoid is a strong …How so my last one lasted me 10 years?? 100% Avoid is a strong statement-If people have 1 an issue with a brand or product shouldn’t dismiss it entirely!

I've had loads of issues with Hotpoint/Indesit. As have loads of other people.
Ok so at £250 for the lady’s budget what do expect to find? Something that will last 15 years and never have an issue? Cheap products cheap parts it’s not exactly rocket science!
louisebarker2 h, 27 m ago

Your poor Mum. That's awful x Okay I'm a bit dumb but how do I know which …Your poor Mum. That's awful x Okay I'm a bit dumb but how do I know which have a metal back panel or will it be on the specs? X

Candy appear to have the metal rear panel. ebaystores.co.uk/Co-…c=1

Ok so at £250 for the lady’s budget what do expect to find? Something that …Ok so at £250 for the lady’s budget what do expect to find? Something that will last 15 years and never have an issue? Cheap products cheap parts it’s not exactly rocket science!

I would still expect a major appliance to last a few years. It's false economy. You might as well just buy the cheapest product on the market that isn't an Hotpoint/Indesit.
20% off ebay at mo
Edited by: "wayners" 31st Jul
louisebarker9 h, 39 m ago

Your poor Mum. That's awful x Okay I'm a bit dumb but how do I know which …Your poor Mum. That's awful x Okay I'm a bit dumb but how do I know which have a metal back panel or will it be on the specs? X

It says in the detailed specification on the website. It’ll say metal backing or something along those lines.
louisebarker9 h, 48 m ago

Thank you x but comment above says not hotpoint x oh I'm stuck lolYour …Thank you x but comment above says not hotpoint x oh I'm stuck lolYour poor Mum. That's awful x Okay I'm a bit dumb but how do I know which have a metal back panel or will it be on the specs? X

I’m saying if you must go for a cheap brand make sure it’s a metal backed one (Currys have it as a filter rear backing material). Make sure you have a working smoke alarm too just in case. Take a look at the recall notices, if your not buying through Currys or AO or other reputable retailer then check the model number on the recall lists before buying (ie eBay etc).
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 31st Jul
cmdr_elito31st Jul

Please please please ensure whichever model you get has a metal back …Please please please ensure whichever model you get has a metal back panel. This significantly reduces the risk of fire should anything go wrong. If you can afford it too avoid the cheaper whirlpool like brands such as LEC/Beko/indesit/hotpoint etc. You really get what you pay for with these types of products. A beko fridge burnt my mums house down nearly two years, the model has never been recalled and she barely made it out before it exploded (the canister on the back) after falling down the stairs due to very heavy smoke due to the fire. It’s also worth checking the recall lists to give you an idea of which suppliers recall a lot of models. All suppliers occasionally get a recall but as you’ll see some suppliers get an awful lot, those should be avoided. gov.uk/government/publications/household-appliances-recalled-due-to-fire-risk

Any idea if haier are a good make?
I got a cheap £250 Beko from ao.com 5 years ago and it's in perfect working order.

One thing I regret is getting a water dispenser as it's never used, collects grime and is a waste of needed storage on the inside door!
adamwilko00712 h, 13 m ago

Any idea if haier are a good make?

Chinese manufacturer with manufacturing additionally in US who own GE appliances. Makes more fridges than whirlpool brands! Take a look at the government recall list website and take a view.
cmdr_elito1 h, 28 m ago

Chinese manufacturer with manufacturing additionally in US who own GE …Chinese manufacturer with manufacturing additionally in US who own GE appliances. Makes more fridges than whirlpool brands! Take a look at the government recall list website and take a view.

Thanks for good info which brands would you recommended
adamwilko00746 m ago

Thanks for good info which brands would you recommended

Bosch brands aren’t often recalled/Samsung aren’t either. other brands it seems to happen much more either way get a metal backed one.
cmdr_elito4 m ago

Bosch brands aren’t often recalled/Samsung aren’t either. other brands it s …Bosch brands aren’t often recalled/Samsung aren’t either. other brands it seems to happen much more either way get a metal backed one.

Thanks I will have a look at those then LG seem okay from research as well which magazine rate the liability of brands

Samsung 81%
LG 80%
Bosch 77%

which.co.uk/rev…nds
adamwilko0072 m ago

Thanks I will have a look at those then LG seem okay from research as …Thanks I will have a look at those then LG seem okay from research as well which magazine rate the liability of brandsSamsung 81%LG 80%Bosch 77%https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/fridge-freezers/article/which-fridge-freezer-brand/most-reliable-fridge-freezer-brands

Yeah seems reasonable. Again metal backed whatever brand you go for.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants