Friend broke wrist on holiday do they need a check up before flying back

Posted 20th Oct
My friend has broken his wrist on holiday in Turkey, he had to pay £300 for they to x-ray and put on a plaster cast, as he did not have travel insurance, the clinic says to come back before flying so they can check the wrist as they want to check for pressure, is this necessary or are they using it just to get more money out of him
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
allowed20/10/2019 18:40

Thanks i did go to easyjet and they said the same thing,

that's why you should always have travel insurance. Could be an expensive lesson
19 Comments
How much will it cost?
deals6920/10/2019 18:25

How much will it cost?

I will get him to call to find out.
The flight is with easyjet
psychobitchfromhell20/10/2019 18:25

Found thishttps://www.tuifly.com/en/service/gipsverband.html

allowed20/10/2019 18:40

that's why you should always have travel insurance. Could be an expensive lesson
psychobitchfromhell20/10/2019 18:50

that's why you should always have travel insurance. Could be an expensive …that's why you should always have travel insurance. Could be an expensive lesson

Very true. Not could be, but is.
JimboParrot20/10/2019 19:06

Indeed. I had to cancel a holiday once as my father in law died the day we were due to travel. I would've been £1200 out of pocket. False economy to neglect travel insurance

that's why you should always have travel insurance. Could be an expensive …that's why you should always have travel insurance. Could be an expensive lesson

Chances are absolutely nothing is going to happen to you or go wrong which would require it. I understand why some people would take the calculated risk, unless you are off to America then it's a completely different story.

This ^ why on earth do people not get travel insurance, it's not expensive.
anthony.james20/10/2019 20:23

Chances are absolutely nothing is going to happen to you or go wrong which …Chances are absolutely nothing is going to happen to you or go wrong which would require it. I understand why some people would take the calculated risk, unless you are off to America then it's a completely different story.

it isn't just the medical side of things though, it's the cancellation or the theft side to take into consideration too. It isn't expensive in most cases. Just mad not to
richp20/10/2019 20:30

This ^ why on earth do people not get travel insurance, it's not …This ^ why on earth do people not get travel insurance, it's not expensive.

it is beyond me. First thing I do when I book to go away.
JimboParrot20/10/2019 19:06

Could have been much worse. If he was in the US you could easily add a 0 or two to the current cost.
Worth getting the insurance if only for the meerkat vouchers
Your friend will have broken his wrist and had it plastered.
However over the coming hours/days the wrist will swell up more (due to inflammation). However the plaster will not swell as well, resulting in the theoretical possibility of Compartment Syndrome - which is a medical emergency.
It's definitely a theoretical risk and the immediate treatment is to cut the plaster off. I'm not knowledgable enough to quantify the risk of this happening - it's rare but can be fatal.
Firefly120/10/2019 21:10

Your friend will have broken his wrist and had it plastered.However over …Your friend will have broken his wrist and had it plastered.However over the coming hours/days the wrist will swell up more (due to inflammation). However the plaster will not swell as well, resulting in the theoretical possibility of Compartment Syndrome - which is a medical emergency.It's definitely a theoretical risk and the immediate treatment is to cut the plaster off. I'm not knowledgable enough to quantify the risk of this happening - it's rare but can be fatal.

I read an article about that a few weeks ago. I'd never heard of it before. It sounds terrible.
anthony.james20/10/2019 20:23

Chances are absolutely nothing is going to happen to you or go wrong which …Chances are absolutely nothing is going to happen to you or go wrong which would require it. I understand why some people would take the calculated risk, unless you are off to America then it's a completely different story.

And travel insurance is really really expensive, pay hundreds of pounds or even thousands of pounds and risk it all for....
Your friend should be able to travel.
He may need a Fit to Fly note from a doctor. Check with airline.
It is safer if the plaster cast has a single cut along the arm to allow for body expansion and swelling which may occur in flight.
TBH he got away light with £300. Would have been £3000 in the USA, lesson learned I hope.
£300 is pretty cheap for what they did.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants