Friend wanting gaming pc £600 budget.

Found 29th Apr
my friend is getting This in a week's time and I thought I'd ask see if it's worth the purchase or money better spent else where.

His budget is £600 and isn't really wanting to out anymore on it.
Just wondering if anyone knows of something better (without building it yourself).

thanks in advance

amazon.co.uk/dp/…h=1
Community Updates
AskGamingPC
39 Comments
deleted1315437
Oh yeah? 'Friend' Uh huh.
deleted793389
Poor graphics card for the latest games, processor's ok. If you don't want to build you'll have to compromise on something to keep costs low.
deleted131543729th Apr

Their name was Joey or Chandler or Ross :P
deleted793389
uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…mkd
I've put this together as a quick build to show how much more you could get for the money, surely you know somebody who can put it together for you? Individual parts will still have warranty.
Edited by: "deleted793389" 29th Apr
deleted131543729th Apr

Sadly I have don't any. It's just a guy off Facebook.

I have no need for a new pc.
I have one which doesn't get used other than work. I do feel sorry for the 980ti and i7 CPU collecting dust.
Edited by: "kos1c" 30th Apr
deleted79338929th Apr

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/KP8mkdI've put this together as a quick …https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/KP8mkdI've put this together as a quick build to show how much more you could get for the money, surely you know somebody who can put it together for you? Individual parts will still have warranty.

I'm confident I could put it together with no issue. I've taken boards apart and rehoused them etc. Just not messed about with a CPU before.

Its just down to my mate if he wants to go that route or not.

If he was to up his budget by £100-200 would the build be leaps and bounds better?

Just going by a bench mark test of a 1050ti to a 1060 hits 4000 points better on the 1060.
If you upped it to £1000 you could get a reasonably good machine which you wouldn’t have to upgrade for a few years. Otherwise you will be playing the upgrade battle and lose when you have to replace lots of things.

For example there is a 1TB hard disk, if you have a great processor your setup is going to be bottlenecked (slowed) by the read write speed of the hard disk. Now if you need space for photos, pron or whatever else then make that a secondary drive and get an SSD preferably M2 to put your games on and OS. Go for at least a 1060 if not a 1070. Up the processor to a 1600x or go for an intel.

It’s definitely better value building it yourself, pc builders will often put one or two premium parts but then buy £40 motherboards which have serious limitations, budget power supplies, budget cases or budget hard drives.
I wouldn’t waste the money, gpu not worth it and no ssd, he will also have to buy an OS. Places are already starting to sell systems off if he waits he will get better deal that’s if he doesn’t go down the route of building it. The new gpu be out after summer so 10 series will be cheap.

i went to pcpartpicker but couldn’t build 1 for £600, I spent more on just a gpu.

i hope he gets sorted
deleted793389
The build I gave is good for ~£600, Windows 10 key is about £2 on ebay. No point spending a disproportionate amount on one component, as you’ll end up with an unbalanced system. With computers you can always spend “a few hundred more”.
deleted79338930th Apr

The build I gave is good for ~£600, Windows 10 key is about £2 on ebay. No …The build I gave is good for ~£600, Windows 10 key is about £2 on ebay. No point spending a disproportionate amount on one component, as you’ll end up with an unbalanced system. With computers you can always spend “a few hundred more”.

He seems keen on the build you gave. He doesn't get paid till the 5th I believe he said. But seeing the benchmark difference in a 1050ti to the 1060 6gb was enough to convince him.

He isn't aiming for ultra graphics at 100+ frame rates. He'll be happy with high at 60fps, as his older machine was a real budget bottle necker from 2009.

As we never built a pc before. After slotting everything to the board, what's the next step?
There a lot of bios config to do or just boot up into a Windows installer ?
Seems ok for that price. Should play 1080p at medium/low settings fine so I wouldn't worry too much about that. If later on he wants to upgrade the GPU then he will probably have to buy a new PSU and GPU. Upgrading to high tier parts costs a lot of money so £600 isn't that much for a full system.
deleted793389
kester7614 m ago

Seems ok for that price. Should play 1080p at medium/low settings fine so …Seems ok for that price. Should play 1080p at medium/low settings fine so I wouldn't worry too much about that. If later on he wants to upgrade the GPU then he will probably have to buy a new PSU and GPU. Upgrading to high tier parts costs a lot of money so £600 isn't that much for a full system.

Not sure why you only think a 1060 will only do medium/low. Agree you'll need a slightly more powerful PSU for a better gfx card, but for £600 you won't have much of an upgrade path with any component at this price.
Better CPU, but same card
deleted793389
kos1c25 m ago

After slotting everything to the board, what's the next step? There a lot …After slotting everything to the board, what's the next step? There a lot of bios config to do or just boot up into a Windows installer ?

Boot in to BIOS and set the boot mode to UEFI if it's not already, and set the SSD as the boot drive. Use the Windows 10 media creation tool to make a USB boot drive then use your eBay license key.
deleted79338930th Apr

Not sure why you only think a 1060 will only do medium/low. Agree you'll …Not sure why you only think a 1060 will only do medium/low. Agree you'll need a slightly more powerful PSU for a better gfx card, but for £600 you won't have much of an upgrade path with any component at this price.Better CPU, but same card[Video]

The Specs to OPs linked PC are

ADMI GAMING PC -
------------------------
AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad Core 3.7GHz CPU,
GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Graphics Card,
8GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM,
A320M-K Motherboard,
1TB Hard Drive,
Coolermaster Masterbox 5.1 Red Gaming PC Case

I was talking about these specs in general. GTX 1060 is a good 1080p card but more expensive than the gtx 1050ti at around £140ish, the GTX 1060 about £60 more.
Sorry, just realised what you mean't, missed OPs post talking about the gtx 1060 upgrade.
deleted79338930th Apr

Boot in to BIOS and set the boot mode to UEFI if it's not already, and set …Boot in to BIOS and set the boot mode to UEFI if it's not already, and set the SSD as the boot drive. Use the Windows 10 media creation tool to make a USB boot drive then use your eBay license key.

As this but make sure you only have the USB windows 10 installation an SSD install drive in when you install windows 10. If you have any additional drives plugged in (i.e. a 2TB hard drive) it might install Boot manager on the additional drive. This is bad as when you remove the additional drive the system wont boot.
Edited by: "kester76" 30th Apr
deleted79338930th Apr

Boot in to BIOS and set the boot mode to UEFI if it's not already, and set …Boot in to BIOS and set the boot mode to UEFI if it's not already, and set the SSD as the boot drive. Use the Windows 10 media creation tool to make a USB boot drive then use your eBay license key.

Ah sounds like simple stuff. I was thinking of other settings needed to be configured in bios.

Will see what route he goes for come the 5th. I know he wasn't keen on the white case

Thanks for all your input by the way.
kester7610 m ago

As this but make sure you only have the USB windows 10 installation an SSD …As this but make sure you only have the USB windows 10 installation an SSD install drive in when you install windows 10. If you have any additional drives plugged in (i.e. a 2TB hard drive) it might install Boot manager on the additional drive. This is bad as when you remove the additional drive the system wont boot.

Will keep that in mind. I've reformatted and switched drives on pcs in the past and not had much issues. Was more the bios screen I'm inexperienced on.
deleted793389
The beauty of building your own is changing components to suit your taste, the original Amazon system case made my eyes hurt!
I don't know why people are so obsessed with blowing big budgets on graphics cards rather than waiting for the prices to drop.....as others have said in the thread, if you are looking at gaming at 1080p at medium resolution then a GTX 1050ti would definitely suffice for now.

In fact the reasonable budget Ryzen APU's have comparable performance with the GTX 1050, and you can pick up a Ryzen 5 2400 for £125, and look into upgrading the GPU later and still have a fairly good processor.

I just upgraded a ten year old PC, albeit the graphics card, and seeing that the old Radeon HD7850 is comparable to the GTX1050 I decided against a Ryzen APU and instead upped the cost on the processor and got a Ryzen 5 1600 for £140.

Gaming performance with that (overclocking the GPU) is perfectly adequate at 1080p at medium settings, a GTX 1050ti even better. I am more than happy with the 'bottleneck' until the price of something such as the RX570 drops to around the £150 mark.

Anyone should look at what monitor they are hooking up their PC to, as well as considering whether they want to match current gen console graphics or exceed it before blowing stupid money on a GPU.
In relation to that spec on Amazon...I really would avoid A320M motherboards in the AMD compatible range, there is no option to overclock unlike the B350 or X370 motherboards. And they literally tier up in the range of A320, B350 and X370 in terms of budget with the B350 being an enthusiast board and the X370 offering more in the way of ports.
Just a quick google search around and came up with this...better processor, better motherboard and m.2 SSD thrown in for £587 (add on top the cost of a case of choice....a £50 case would still come in at a reasonable £637)

ryzen 5 1600 £140
Gigabyte GA-AB350M Motherboards £70
Crucial 8GB DDR4 2400 £70
GTX 1050 TI £170
EVGA 650 G2 PSU £59
1TB Baraccuda 7200 rpm HDD £38
128GB M.2 £40

If a strict £600 budget, could drop the SSD or consider cheaper PSU etc.
Edited by: "cicobuff" 30th Apr
deleted793389
cicobuff20 m ago

if you are looking at gaming at 1080p at medium resolution then a GTX …if you are looking at gaming at 1080p at medium resolution then a GTX 1050ti would definitely suffice for now.

I'd say you have no interest in gaming if you are happy with medium settings, especially for the sake of ~£100, and you'll be left with your virtually worthless 1050ti to get rid of when you upgrade to the card you should have bought in the first place.
Comparing APU's / iGPU's or whatever nomenclature they use to even a budget discrete graphics card is also laughable.
deleted79338930th Apr

I'd say you have no interest in gaming if you are happy with medium …I'd say you have no interest in gaming if you are happy with medium settings, especially for the sake of ~£100, and you'll be left with your virtually worthless 1050ti to get rid of when you upgrade to the card you should have bought in the first place.Comparing APU's / iGPU's or whatever nomenclature they use to even a budget discrete graphics card is also laughable.

I would say you must be part of the stupidly labelled 'pc master race' more content with benchmarking than playing games...I am quite sure over the years I have had plenty of PC's/consoles to consider I have a strong interest in gaming.

The 'worthless' 1050ti card you so much have contempt for is better than the APU in the Ryzen 2200G or Ryzen 2400G of which both budget processors are more than perfectly adequate for gaming at medium settings, of which many people are happy with at 1080p.
Edited by: "cicobuff" 30th Apr
deleted793389
We're talking about a £600 new build system, why would you be happy with medium settings at 1080p, you can get an Xbox one X for 4k gaming for £400.
I don't understand why you'd make such a compromise on the most important component in a gaming pc!
deleted79338930th Apr

We're talking about a £600 new build system, why would you be happy with …We're talking about a £600 new build system, why would you be happy with medium settings at 1080p, you can get an Xbox one X for 4k gaming for £400.I don't understand why you'd make such a compromise on the most important component in a gaming pc!

Yet you would compromise in a build the processor...horses for courses, you listed a potato of a CPU, I listed a potato of a GPU...... wait for GPU prices to drop or wait for CPU prices to drop, in a £600 system a compromise has to be made somewhere.

Why are you talking about 4K gaming? As I already said earlier in the thread ascertain your needs first and then decide.

Why would I be happy with medium settings at 1080p? Because I do not have or have any intentions in getting a 4K monitor. In fact when I do upgrade my GPU down the line I doubt I will be playing in 4K.
deleted79338930th Apr

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-8100-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/3942vs3919That makes two of us then

Yet, you said earlier in this thread about a balanced system...you would prefer to pair a high end graphics card with a CPU that bottlenecks in load.
deleted793389
cicobuff11 m ago

Yet, you said earlier in this thread about a balanced system...you would …Yet, you said earlier in this thread about a balanced system...you would prefer to pair a high end graphics card with a CPU that bottlenecks in load.

A) a GTX 1060 6GB is not high end
B) the CPU and GPU I recommended are a good match, and a Coffee Lake i3 is equivalent or better than an Haswell i5 (not to mention the i3 being £50 cheaper than the CPU you suggested for the same performance), e.g. cpu.userbenchmark.com/Com…942
As I feel I have helped the OP achieve what they wanted, I'm not commenting further.
If you want to keep building compromises, that's your prerogative, I am giving the OP what they want, a balanced "gaming" PC ready to go at the "average*" resolution at high settings.
*store.steampowered.com/hws…ey/
deleted79338930th Apr

A) a GTX 1060 6GB is not high endB) the CPU and GPU I recommended are a …A) a GTX 1060 6GB is not high endB) the CPU and GPU I recommended are a good match, and a Coffee Lake i3 is equivalent or better than an Haswell i5 (not to mention the i3 being £50 cheaper than the CPU you suggested for the same performance), e.g. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4690-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8100/2311vs3942As I feel I have helped the OP achieve what they wanted, I'm not commenting further.If you want to keep building compromises, that's your prerogative, I am giving the OP what they want, a balanced "gaming" PC ready to go at the "average*" resolution at high settings.*https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/?

Fair enough if you are that convinced that a potato of a CPU is going to be more future proof in a 'balanced' system.

A compromise in CPU there, if you really want to go the intel route then you should be looking at a 6 core processor at least considering that games developers are to be utlising thread cores in upcoming games, thus an i5 8400 would be more appropriate in comparison to the Ryzen 5 1600.

Therefore either you 'temporarily' future proof your graphics card, or future proof your CPU for now....

You choose in a £600 rig to future proof the graphics card, which will drop in price over the course of the next year. I choose to future proof on a CPU instead which will drop in price over the course of the next year.
If going self build. Get down to Maplin.
Yes I know they are normally stupidly expensive.
Now it’s 40% minimum off everything. Try grabbing a 500w+ PSU, case and hard drive. You may find some bargains.
Then I’d suggest a Ryzen 1600 paired with a B350 board to allow a bit of over clocking. The supplied cooler will cope with some.
Then get a GTX1060.
Cost will depend on how you can, if even cheap out in Maplin.

Not streamlined for postage costs but this leaves £65 for case, psu and OS. uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…CzY
If he stretched to say £620-£630 easily doable. Otherwise a bit of work. Also picked 3000 RAM as Ryzen loves it.

Get a decent brand PSU and make sure it is Brinze or better. Also to powerful is always good. Most efficient at 50% load typically.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 30th Apr
Oneday7728 m ago

If going self build. Get down to Maplin. Yes I know they are normally …If going self build. Get down to Maplin. Yes I know they are normally stupidly expensive. Now it’s 40% minimum off everything. Try grabbing a 500w+ PSU, case and hard drive. You may find some bargains. Then I’d suggest a Ryzen 1600 paired with a B350 board to allow a bit of over clocking. The supplied cooler will cope with some. Then get a GTX1060. Cost will depend on how you can, if even cheap out in Maplin.Not streamlined for postage costs but this leaves £65 for case, psu and OS. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Xv8CzYIf he stretched to say £620-£630 easily doable. Otherwise a bit of work. Also picked 3000 RAM as Ryzen loves it. Get a decent brand PSU and make sure it is Brinze or better. Also to powerful is always good. Most efficient at 50% load typically.

I popped into Maplin on Saturday and got myself a Corsair Spec Alpha case for £47.99.
cicobuff1 h, 12 m ago

I popped into Maplin on Saturday and got myself a Corsair Spec Alpha case …I popped into Maplin on Saturday and got myself a Corsair Spec Alpha case for £47.99.

He actually works next door to one and the sales are laughable. I was in there other day and I walked out straight away. 40% off and their still more expensive than normal stores
deleted79338929th Apr

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/KP8mkdI've put this together as a quick …https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/KP8mkdI've put this together as a quick build to show how much more you could get for the money, surely you know somebody who can put it together for you? Individual parts will still have warranty.

My friend is thinking of doing the build it yourself approach.

Was wondering come payday next month. Would you mind doing another build on that site as prices change daily.

His set for a 1060 6gb as his min card now over a 1050ti.
kos1c22 m ago

He actually works next door to one and the sales are laughable. I was in …He actually works next door to one and the sales are laughable. I was in there other day and I walked out straight away. 40% off and their still more expensive than normal stores

Yeah most stuff is laughable, the odd bargain of around 20% off 'regular' prices crops up though, such as the case I bought.
cicobuff30th Apr

Yeah most stuff is laughable, the odd bargain of around 20% off 'regular' …Yeah most stuff is laughable, the odd bargain of around 20% off 'regular' prices crops up though, such as the case I bought.

I think it's like those Asda game deals. It's 1 in 10 stores actually has a bargain.
I went there to buy a Bluetooth speaker Sony bass speaker £100 pc world from £200.

Maplin £150 reduced to £110.

I don't recall last time I actually purchased something from Maplin.
deleted793389
kos1c1 h, 20 m ago

My friend is thinking of doing the build it yourself approach. Was …My friend is thinking of doing the build it yourself approach. Was wondering come payday next month. Would you mind doing another build on that site as prices change daily. His set for a 1060 6gb as his min card now over a 1050ti.

Yeah no problem
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants