Groups

Friend wants a computer...

A friend of mine has asked me to find him a computer.

He is looking for "wow for now" something that can be upgraded, but wants some lifespan as it is.

Plays a few games, i think World of warcraft is the highest end one.
    His budget is £300 doesnt need monotor,kb mouse, speakers or an Operating system.

It can be pre built or components (i can happily build)

Im just so long out of buying computer stuff i have no idea what is bang for buck/available/best places any more.. can anyone help on a costed up system of components or a prebuilt that fits the bill?

14 Comments

Check out one of the ebuyer ones:

ebuyer.com/pro…011

They do some others that are quite cheap also

Original Poster

red_dwarfer;7546582

Check out one of the ebuyer ones:http://www.ebuyer.com/product/189011They … Check out one of the ebuyer ones:http://www.ebuyer.com/product/189011They do some others that are quite cheap also

Thanks for the link, i dont think it will fit the bill though as it uses onboard graphics and putting in a card would invalidate the waranty i would have thought?

Original Poster

dcx_badass;7546798

Not normally.

yea?

what is an acceptable budget gfx card in that case?
    like decent but cheap

Jetpac;7546668

Thanks for the link, i dont think it will fit the bill though as it uses … Thanks for the link, i dont think it will fit the bill though as it uses onboard graphics and putting in a card would invalidate the waranty i would have thought?

No, you can put a graphics card into a prebuilt machine without invalidating your warranty. But if the graphic card causes a fault on the system it will not be covered under the warranty.

Original Poster

trog0;7546875

No, you can put a graphics card into a prebuilt machine without … No, you can put a graphics card into a prebuilt machine without invalidating your warranty. But if the graphic card causes a fault on the system it will not be covered under the warranty.

Ok cool.

So what is a decent budget card?

I had a 7600GT a few year ago and it played most games pretty good, it would play WOW easily.

8400GS i would recommend. pick one up for about £30.

Dell Outlet ??

8800GT's are fine, it is what i currently have aswell, plays all the games and wont see much point in upgrading it till the current GFX prices come down.

So pointless investing in this now if it is just a temporary measure. 7600GT will be fine

DarrylJohn;7547350

I had a 7600GT a few year ago and it played most games pretty good, it … I had a 7600GT a few year ago and it played most games pretty good, it would play WOW easily.8400GS i would recommend. pick one up for about £30.

what psu power would you need to run a 8400gs?

Banned

yeah, get a 7600gt as the ebuyer pcs only have 255w PSUs and you dont want to replace that as well.

Original Poster

Thanks for the help folks. Rep left

csiman;7548323

yeah, get a 7600gt as the ebuyer pcs only have 255w PSUs and you dont … yeah, get a 7600gt as the ebuyer pcs only have 255w PSUs and you dont want to replace that as well.

A 7600GT would be an awful choice for a new computer. It's an old card and nothing special when it comes to efficiency. Something like a 4670 GDDR3 uses the same amount of power but is far faster.

As for a 'decent budget card' that's a bit of a tricky one since all budget cards are generally poor value for money compared to more mainstream ones. If the power supply on a pre-built computer sucks (less than 25A on the combined +12v rails) and you don't want to replace it to run a second hand 8800GT or new 4850 then something like a 4650 DDR3, 4670 GDDR3 or GT240 is probably your best bet.

8400GS is around about 400Watt but will only take 10% of the budget.

Problem is, a £300 build is gonna be hard to be upgraded - for those prices, you cant be looking at DDR3, Intel I7's or anything in those categories, so DDR2, and low end CPU's can be looked at..

So cant really be blowing £60+ on a GFX Card, because that leaves no room for much else after the power supply/case/cpu/harddrive/ram/mobo/drive have been purchased.

£26.54 / 8400GS ebuyer.com/pro…211
    £39.38 / 2GB Corsair ebuyer.com/pro…366 (easily add another stick in future)
    £37.39 / 500GB WD - ebuyer.com/pro…228
    £49.11 / Mobo with onboard sound - ebuyer.com/pro…245
    £26.38 - Gaming case with 400W PSU. ebuyer.com/pro…811
    £12.99 Drive / ebuyer.com/pro…233
    £84.35 CPU Core 2 duo E7400 - ebuyer.com/pro…177 ( could use stock cooler and could spend the extra on a GFX )
    £17.74 CPU Cooler / ebuyer.com/pro…471

Total £293.88 - not inc delivery.

Original Poster

mate thats fantastic, thanks so much!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1219
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      3. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218
      4. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…33

See more discussions