Friendly reminder- Medical ID

Found 29th Apr
You can add a Medical ID on your iPhone to help emergency services find out any information that might be needed when treating you.

How-to here: support.apple.com/en-…021

Did a reminder a while back and I’m sure there are more members now and some of those may not know about this. Also for those who haven’t updated theirs recently!
Community Updates
Misc
14 Comments
great thing to have nice find
missismop11 m ago

great thing to have nice find

^^ a few months ago I had an ambulance called for by a stranger, and I was really confused at the time. I have no clue whether they (the police- they showed up first) used my phone but my family were called and turned up. Unless I’m told otherwise, I believe it was because of my medical ID being on it (especially since they didn’t ask questions relating to anything they needed to know relating to medical history).
Mechtup33 m ago

^^ a few months ago I had an ambulance called for by a stranger, and I was …^^ a few months ago I had an ambulance called for by a stranger, and I was really confused at the time. I have no clue whether they (the police- they showed up first) used my phone but my family were called and turned up. Unless I’m told otherwise, I believe it was because of my medical ID being on it (especially since they didn’t ask questions relating to anything they needed to know relating to medical history).

its a great thing, im getting my husband to sort it for me im alergic to iodine so he can sort that
Good reminder
ios only.
mrty19 m ago

ios only.

That’s why i said iPhone in the description there’s apps on Google Play available but I don’t think any built in apps
Thanks, just done mine. Don't need an app , just enter emergency details in contact settings
Edited by: "OneGloveOnTheFence" 30th Apr
How are the Emergency Services going to unlock your phone, if for example you're unconscious?

Oh wait, press all your fingers against the scanner
chocci6 m ago

Android equivalent …Android equivalent https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lagache.sylvain.ice_android

Thanks. Will look at the advantage of that over simply putting emergency contact and medical details on the wallpaper. The advantage of using wallpaper is that in the event of losing phone the finder can contact me without needing to unlock the phone first.
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell3 h, 26 m ago

How are the Emergency Services going to unlock your phone, if for example …How are the Emergency Services going to unlock your phone, if for example you're unconscious?Oh wait, press all your fingers against the scanner

It’s under emergency call. You don’t need your phone unlocked for it
The function is so limited it doesnt offer more than name dob blood type wheelchair use skin type. It’s better to carry your identity in your wallet with photo id which is the first thing they’ll look for. The person could have a ‘borrowed’ /stolen / 2nd hand phone iPod, how can they be sure it belongs to you.
Edited by: "zcgby03" 30th Apr
zcgby034 h, 48 m ago

The function is so limited it doesnt offer more than name dob blood type …The function is so limited it doesnt offer more than name dob blood type wheelchair use skin type. It’s better to carry your identity in your wallet with photo id which is the first thing they’ll look for. The person could have a ‘borrowed’ /stolen / 2nd hand phone iPod, how can they be sure it belongs to you.

It’s better than nothing. And if you’re conscious then you can say it’s you or not. Also you can add medical notes which should cover what you need to say
Mechtup4 h, 46 m ago

It’s better than nothing. And if you’re conscious then you can say it’s you …It’s better than nothing. And if you’re conscious then you can say it’s you or not. Also you can add medical notes which should cover what you need to say

Hmmm.. a couple of things are raising my eyebrow.
1. Medical notes need regular updating. Face to face questionnaires eliminate most doubts.
2. Thieves have access to your data once your phone is stolen.
3. A way of checking on someone's conscious health is by talking to them.
4. How safe are companies with your data? Credit reference agencies like Experian were hacked in 2015

Only really should the person know their medical notes and be protective of that data, why? it is important to keep information away from people because they can interfere without realising and they have no right to or have a right to collect drugs unless they are next of kin. I listened to a telephone conversation on public transport about a son (next of kin) discussing his father's anemia condition and medication with one of his brothers. They were discussing how a pharmacist had involved his brother's ex-wife with the fathers drugs. An ex-wife who had been seperated for over 10 years but was close to their father and receiving some rewards of kindness. The drugs had been mixed up in some way that meant the father believed he should throw away some drugs, was getting ill and lead to the anemia.

To cut the story short having medical info on a phone with easy access by anyone is trouble. The idea of it being stored on a phone for easy access and avoidance of having to repeat yourself over and over is good in one way but bad in others.

P.S the pharmacist was the problem, not the ex-wife ha! (The son had spoken to the pharmacist and the pharmacist's story did not add up especially because they said the doctor had supposedly given them updated medical info, not a chance!)
Edited by: "zcgby03" 30th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions