Groups

friends laptop wont conect to the same router as mine, help

Hi my friends laptop wont conect to the internet but my laptop conects fine to the same router, i checked the wiress network conection and i did notice it says something slightly differnt

his says IPv4 connectivity-local

IPv6 connectivity-local

mine says IPv4 connectivity-internet

could it be something small stopping it to conect, the silly thing is its saying its conected by just local

thanks

ps: hes using vista

24 Comments

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

Is the router set up for IPv6

hi how do i check this?

Also, check that he hasn't got a fixed IP Address.

Original Poster

cis_groupie

Also, check that he hasn't got a fixed IP Address.

hi how do i do this please

strobez1977

hi how do i do this please

ehow.com/how…tml

Original Poster

still no good, should i try uninstalling the network adapter?

Original Poster

its strange as the network icon at the bottom right hand of the screen isnt showing that atlas logo, any other things i could try?

Original Poster

how do i find out what ip address, dns etc that i need to enter manualy?

Try turning the router off. Leave it 30 seconds or so then turn on again. If that doesn't work, try turning friend's laptop off, leave 30 seconds and turn on again. And,if that doesn't work then it's probably something a bit more complex.
    Edited by: "tony_s1" 17th Feb 2011

set his ipv4 to obtain ip auto ... ignore ipv6

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/231/41884660.th.png

open cmd ipconfig /all or click status on your local area connection etc.

just make sure dhcp is on in router then get windows/ or whatever operating system you re using to receive an ip automatically.

Edited by: "dontasciime" 17th Feb 2011

Original Poster

dontasciime

set his ipv4 to obtain ip auto ... ignore ipv6open cmd ipconfig /all or … set his ipv4 to obtain ip auto ... ignore ipv6open cmd ipconfig /all or click status on your local area connection etc.

hi set to auto set on ipv4 and clicked ok, also i type the above in "run"

what now please?

its saying unidentified network, just wont get past this grrrr

does it work with an ethernet cable?

you need to log into the router and check to see if DHCP is on..l look under modem/router for login info/ address etc.

post your Internal ip the one reported by ipconfig / all, check his ip ... do not use / enter detaisl in for ipv6

forums.techguy.org/net…tml

did not read it as Ive got company now but it might give a clue to yours

Original Poster

sarbjeet_

does it work with an ethernet cable?

no it doesnt

Original Poster

His laptop wont even let me get into the router settings but my laptop that is working fine will
    #
    what should i try now?

strobez1977

His laptop wont even let me get into the router settings but my laptop … His laptop wont even let me get into the router settings but my laptop that is working fine will#what should i try now?

Lol it was yours you were supposed to try with

Original Poster

i went into the router settings but wasnt sure what i should be doing

you might like to mention what make model modem router it is. if you have done already apologies. Anyways look for dhcp and enable it. It's probably already enabled as most are these days it seems but if someones been messing with it.

Unchecked/ untick internet protocol tcdp/ip ipv6 in the network adapter properties on your friends laptop though. leave tick in ipv 4 though.

if you have any software firewall/ security program on the friends laptop disable it temp to see if you can get connected. although you might need to uninstall it.
    Edited by: "dontasciime" 17th Feb 2011

you need to sort this out so your friends laptop connects via a network cable first though. Then move onto wireless onc e it connects via 10/100 lan etc

Anyways can you post the ip address of your Friends laptop or post a picture of the details etc. :If not then you're going to have to pay someone to look at it and fix it as without being rude if you cannot do that you got no chance

start menu/ run/ cmd/ ipconfig /all ...

windows key / R ipconfig /all

im guessing his router is a belkin

Is your router set-up for wireless N & G together. Your laptop maybe a wireless B or G connection, while your friends could be a wireless N. Some of the older routers do not seem to recognise wireless N (Especially Atheros adapters) even though it is supposed to be backwards compatible. Worth looking into.

dontasciime

start menu/ run/ cmd/ ipconfig /all ...windows key / R ipconfig /all

lad you done this?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      2. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
      3. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2020
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick66

See more discussions