Groups

From April 2009 ALL Expecting Mums can claim a grant of £190

mod
    From April 2009, you can claim a one-off, tax-free payment from H M Revenue & Customs (HMRC) if you're a mum-to-be who's at least 25 weeks pregnant. The payment is called 'Health in Pregnancy Grant' and is to help you prepare for the birth of your baby.

Your due date needs to be on or after 6 April 2009 for you to make a claim.

Who can get Health in Pregnancy Grant?
    You can get the grant if all of the following apply:

you are 25 weeks pregnant or more your expected date of delivery is on or after 6 April 2009 you have been given health advice from a midwife or doctor you may not get the grant if:

you are subject to immigration control or you are not present, ordinarily resident or have a right to reside in the UK How much do you get?
    The grant will be a one-off payment of £190 for each pregnancy. It will not affect your tax credits or any other benefits. Everyone will get the same amount you will not be asked about your income.

How do you claim?
    Get a claim form from your midwife or doctor any time from 1 January 2009 onwards - as long as you're at least 25 weeks pregnant and your expected delivery date is on or after 6 April 2009. Your midwife or doctor must fill in their part of the form and sign it before giving it to you.

You will need to get your claim form to HMRC within 31 days of your midwife or doctor signing the form - otherwise you may miss out on the grant.

You can get a free text message or email reminder to help you remember to claim if you are not 25 weeks pregnant yet.

How is the Grant paid?
    HMRC will pay the grant directly into your bank or building society account any time from April 2009 onwards. Dont worry if you don't have an account - any bank or building society will help you open one.

109 Comments

Banned

ah brilliant, another handout. Good if you can get it. not voting either way.

Thats what we need - more money getting chucked at 14 year old mums.

Should be for over 21s/married women only.

Banned

oh this is gonna be one of those nicety threads - lol

Original Poster mod

H_K;4858922

ah brilliant, another handout. Good if you can get it. not voting either … ah brilliant, another handout. Good if you can get it. not voting either way.

It's for expecting Mums only. So if you are an expecting Mum, you can get it

Banned

grex9101;4858945

Thats what we need - more money getting chucked at 14 year old … Thats what we need - more money getting chucked at 14 year old mums.Should be for over 21s/married women only.

Maybe not married. but certainly over 18 atleast.

DangerGod;4858968

Maybe not married. but certainly over 18 atleast.

Well, proof of a stable relationship then.

grex sure has issues with babies/children :lol:

loupomm sure has issues with grex

grex9101;4858945

Thats what we need - more money getting chucked at 14 year old … Thats what we need - more money getting chucked at 14 year old mums.Should be for over 21s/married women only.

i have a child but am not married why should a piece of paper show more right to government help?

mamamia7;4859037

i have a child but am not married why should a piece of paper show more … i have a child but am not married why should a piece of paper show more right to government help?

why should you get government help just because you decide to have children?

And how would you define that exactly? Bit of a minefield!!

grex9101;4858982

Well, proof of a stable relationship then.

torapoole;4859053

And how would you define that exactly? Bit of a minefield!!

tongue was slightly in cheek there.....

you cant be prejudiced against limiting financial funds to a child because of its parents actions/age/marriage or anything else.

Banned

grex did you ever have a problem with the married mans tax allowance?

grex9101;4859042

why should you get government help just because you decide to have … why should you get government help just because you decide to have children?

if the government decide to help people who have children then they should help people who have children and not discriminate.

I'm still trying to workout if it is worth jumping the old woman for £190??????

I am joking:-D

sassie;4859082

grex did you ever have a problem with the married mans tax allowance?

my turn tonight Sassie? Giving lynds a break?

mamamia7;4859095

if the government decide to help people who have children then they … if the government decide to help people who have children then they should help people who have children and not discriminate.

I agree, but they should also be wary of further incentivising children. Are free houses not enough?

Banned

hey if you didnt want to answer thats fine

It didn't deserve comment. Now go and try to bully someone else.

grex9101;4859130

my turn tonight Sassie? Giving lynds a break?I agree, but they should … my turn tonight Sassie? Giving lynds a break?I agree, but they should also be wary of further incentivising children. Are free houses not enough?

190 quid isnt gonna buy you much in return for the hundreds of thousands you're going to shell out on providing for that childs needs! And that is just financially!

Banned

grex9101;4859177

It didn't deserve comment. Now go and try to bully someone else.

oh we on this run tonight are we, dont worry i wont push you for something you obviously dont want to get into xx

as for lynds, i offered advice, she didnt like it, she got snotty, so i got snotty, end of, mind must admit i dont play the victim half as well as you ;-)

ClarityofMind;4859191

190 quid isnt gonna buy you much in return for the hundreds of thousands … 190 quid isnt gonna buy you much in return for the hundreds of thousands you're going to shell out on providing for that childs needs! And that is just financially!

I agree, it just seems that money is getting thrown in this particular direction when it could get put to better use elsewhere.

Indeed, those that need the most help get it already.

I thought Sassie's comment was a legitimate one, given that you seem against this handout in particular.

sassie;4859207

oh we on this run tonight are we, dont worry i wont push you for … oh we on this run tonight are we, dont worry i wont push you for something you obviously dont want to get into xxas for lynds, i offered advice, she didnt like it, she got snotty, so i got snotty, end of, mind must admit i dont play the victim half as well as you ;-)

It wasn't nice to watch Sassie, I thought better of you.
    Still, that's a different discussion for another time.

Supermod

The government should be trying to encourage people to only bring children into this world with what their own funds can look after, not tax payers funds.

grex9101;4859130

my turn tonight Sassie? Giving lynds a break?I agree, but they should … my turn tonight Sassie? Giving lynds a break?I agree, but they should also be wary of further incentivising children. Are free houses not enough?

Both me and my partner worked very hard up until the birth of our daughter..i have had 14 months of work until i felt ready to go back to work..in those 14 months we didnt get alot of money due to the fact that tax credits go on your earnings for the previous yr when we were both working!! But the little we did get did help...so i dont think there is a problem with government giving money to parents as long as people do not take the mick!

ClarityofMind;4859191

190 quid isnt gonna buy you much in return for the hundreds of thousands … 190 quid isnt gonna buy you much in return for the hundreds of thousands you're going to shell out on providing for that childs needs! And that is just financially!

+1, we shelled out most of our savings before our little one was born, and £190 would not of even paid for the cot lol

magicjay1986;4859233

The government should be trying to encourage people to only bring … The government should be trying to encourage people to only bring children into this world with what their own funds can look after, not tax payers funds.

Exactly. Children should not be brought into this world if the parents cannot support it. That's why we're having so many problems now. Children being brought up by children at our expense.

Banned

grex9101;4859230

It wasn't nice to watch Sassie, I thought better of you.Still, that's a … It wasn't nice to watch Sassie, I thought better of you.Still, that's a different discussion for another time.

like i said i offered advice on what she asked, she got snotty, so did i, end of

as for this thread i asked if you had problems with the married mans tax allowance for a reason, as you seem against any help towards families, i wondered if this went towards the married man without a family

Banned

magicjay1986;4859233

The government should be trying to encourage people to only bring … The government should be trying to encourage people to only bring children into this world with what their own funds can look after, not tax payers funds.

Try and tell that to the youth of today. speaking to a brick wall springs to mind.

mamamia7;4859241

Both me and my partner worked very hard up until the birth of our … Both me and my partner worked very hard up until the birth of our daughter..i have had 14 months of work until i felt ready to go back to work..in those 14 months we didnt get alot of money due to the fact that tax credits go on your earnings for the previous yr when we were both working!! But the little we did get did help...so i dont think there is a problem with government giving money to parents as long as people do not take the mick!

dont even get me started on that bit lol i recently quit my job to become a full time carer and money is well tight i worked since i was 15 years old, i really dont understand why people think those of us on benefits are so much better off we really are not those that are must be doing a dodgey

sassie;4859255

as for this thread i asked if you had problems with the married mans tax … as for this thread i asked if you had problems with the married mans tax allowance for a reason, as you seem against any help towards families, i wondered if this went towards the married man without a family

What are you REALLY getting at? Say it.

Supermod

Exactly.

Would you buy a holiday home abroad if you were not able to afford flights?

Would you buy a games console if you were not able to afford the games?

Probably no. Why bring a child into the world if you cannot afford it.

magicjay1986;4859233

But it is a personal right to have your own child. I do understand your point though. My hubby and I have both worked to support our family all along. But you can't make people suffer poverty and hardship just because they havnt worked in the same way.

Banned

grex9101;4859282

What are you REALLY getting at? Say it.

as for this thread i asked if you had problems with the married mans tax allowance for a reason, as you seem against any help towards families, i wondered if this went towards the married man without a family

i thought i had

magicjay1986;4859288

Exactly. Would you buy a holiday home abroad if you were not able to … Exactly. Would you buy a holiday home abroad if you were not able to afford flights?Would you buy a games console if you were not able to afford the games?Probably no. Why bring a child into the world if you cannot afford it.

CAN OF WORMS.

sassie;4859294

as for this thread i asked if you had problems with the married mans tax … as for this thread i asked if you had problems with the married mans tax allowance for a reason, as you seem against any help towards families, i wondered if this went towards the married man without a familyi thought i had

No Sassie, you have a hidden point here. You well know it.

Are you trying to "out" me as a woman hater, a child hater? A family hater??

I'm none of those. Merely want some fairness in this country. Perhaps you hate one of the above, or maybe some other sort of repressed jealousy. In any case, I'm not interested. Back off.

Supermod

ClarityofMind;4859290

But it is a personal right to have your own child. I do understand your … But it is a personal right to have your own child. I do understand your point though. My hubby and I have both worked to support our family all along. But you can't make people suffer poverty and hardship just because they havnt worked in the same way.

I have A LOT of respect for you. If only more members took your diplomatic approach. Not just in this thread. In plenty of others too.

ClarityofMind;4859290

But it is a personal right to have your own child. I do understand your … But it is a personal right to have your own child. I do understand your point though. My hubby and I have both worked to support our family all along. But you can't make people suffer poverty and hardship just because they havnt worked in the same way.

Problem is, it's far to easy to make having children a "career choice" - why should those of us who work have to support those who are too lazy or too feckless?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553749
      2. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1842
      3. CCleaner software compromised by hackers1525
      4. Any PS4 News Here29313798

See more discussions