From Dec 1st - Save £12 per year by cancelling voicemail on Sky Talk package and use answering machine instead

Found 22nd Oct 2014
Just received a letter from Sky explaining how tremendous they are, however because they are just so brilliant, they need to charge me more money

So from Dec 1st they want to charge me £1 per month for the 1571 voicemail feature (currently free). They then go on to explain just how fantastic this is because BT charge £1.75 per month. It's like having your wallet stolen and the mugger saying how lucky you are 'cos he could have taken your wallet AND your phone!

I know £1 per month is not a vast fortune, and call me tight.. But I say "No! Mr Murdoch... you are not having any more of my cash!"

So I am going to switch my trusty answering machine back on and cancel my voicemail by visiting sky.com/voi…ail OR calling 03332 020 906 as suggested in their letter.

I'm not bothered which way people vote here, I just want to bring this to everybody's attention so that Sky Talk customers are aware.
Community Updates
28 Comments
aren't they also adding a £ on line rental too?
Thanks for the heads up
What if I dont even have a phone or ever used one.
Thanks for sharing this info OP.
tutties

aren't they also adding a £ on line rental too?

Yes, standard rental goes up £1 per month... Non-inclusive connection fee goes from 15p per call to 15.9p
Non-inclusive calls to landlines goes from 8.9p to 9.5p per minute AND
UK mobile calls go from 12p to 12.7p per minute.

Things must be tough at Sky oO ..
bazzamone

What if I dont even have a phone or ever used one.

Might be worth double checking that you have voicemail turned off.. That would annoy me even more if I was paying 12 quid a year for something that I cannot use.
Transformers

Thanks for sharing this info OP.

You're welcome. I'll be donating £12/yr to my favourite charity (UK SOBS) rather than give it to that corporation.
pileemhigh

Might be worth double checking that you have voicemail turned off.. That … Might be worth double checking that you have voicemail turned off.. That would annoy me even more if I was paying 12 quid a year for something that I cannot use.

Yeah it annoys me, I could use it just never plugged a phone in since I got sky about 2 years ago.
bazzamone

Yeah it annoys me, I could use it just never plugged a phone in since I … Yeah it annoys me, I could use it just never plugged a phone in since I got sky about 2 years ago.

Probably a lot of people in the same boat as yourself.. just use it for broadband and use their mobiles for calls.. My mother is about the only person who ever calls me on my sky landline... well apart from the scumbags selling PPI, bogus insurance scams etc etc
pileemhigh

You're welcome. I'll be donating £12/yr to my favourite charity (UK SOBS) … You're welcome. I'll be donating £12/yr to my favourite charity (UK SOBS) rather than give it to that corporation.

Nice one.
You can cancel within 30 days of receiving the letter don't forget without penalties ,I'm just looking at the bt £250 quidco and £125 sainsburys vouchers on offer to swap too
the porter

You can cancel within 30 days of receiving the letter don't forget … You can cancel within 30 days of receiving the letter don't forget without penalties ,I'm just looking at the bt £250 quidco and £125 sainsburys vouchers on offer to swap too

That sounds interesting. I have found the Sky unlimited broadband to be good though to be fair to them.So I would need to check out BT's fibre BB deals to make a fair comparison.

Very good point on the cancellation for those wanting to jump ship and find a better deal. It's also worth pointing out that anyone paying their line rental 12 months in advance will not pay the line rental increase until their pre-paid period runs out.. HOWEVER the other price increases still apply from Dec 1st
Good to know I am looking into upgrading to Fibre because my Unlimited internet speed is useless and my phone has an answer machine built in so saves a bit more. Thanks.
I get free SKY talk so wonder if I will actually get charged the extra £1 now. Will contest it when next months bill becomes available
pileemhigh

That sounds interesting. I have found the Sky unlimited broadband to be … That sounds interesting. I have found the Sky unlimited broadband to be good though to be fair to them.So I would need to check out BT's fibre BB deals to make a fair comparison.Very good point on the cancellation for those wanting to jump ship and find a better deal. It's also worth pointing out that anyone paying their line rental 12 months in advance will not pay the line rental increase until their pre-paid period runs out.. HOWEVER the other price increases still apply from Dec 1st

same here im quite happy with sky but the bt offer is very very tempting
simplyjimbo

I get free SKY talk so wonder if I will actually get charged the extra £1 … I get free SKY talk so wonder if I will actually get charged the extra £1 now. Will contest it when next months bill becomes available

Good question.. I'm on a Sky Talk/BB deal so pay for my Sky Talk... I just went to sky.com/voi…ail logged in with my sky account details and switched it off. Took me maybe 1 minute. Probably quicker to do this than the hassle of contesting charges further down the line?
pileemhigh

Good question.. I'm on a Sky Talk/BB deal so pay for my Sky Talk... I … Good question.. I'm on a Sky Talk/BB deal so pay for my Sky Talk... I just went to http://sky.com/voicemail logged in with my sky account details and switched it off. Took me maybe 1 minute. Probably quicker to do this than the hassle of contesting charges further down the line?

I opted out of taking that service when getting Sky as I have an answer machine on the phones. Landline is redundant really bar cold calls from PPI companies and 'Microsoft tech department' as we all use mobiles more than anything.
pileemhigh

Good question.. I'm on a Sky Talk/BB deal so pay for my Sky Talk... I … Good question.. I'm on a Sky Talk/BB deal so pay for my Sky Talk... I just went to http://sky.com/voicemail logged in with my sky account details and switched it off. Took me maybe 1 minute. Probably quicker to do this than the hassle of contesting charges further down the line?

Thanks for link
Do these terms affect just landline/talk or landline and broadband. Broadband price remains unaffected so not 100% sure if you can cancel broadband side of contract early.
http://i59.tinypic.com/24ot843.jpg
I would of thought that cancelling your landline would auto cancel bb as well
Rupert must be struggling, like the rest of us.

All of these big companies, Sky, BT, Talk Talk etc. are all milking the " Line Rental ".

I am with a small ISP, my line rental or charges have not increased in 7 years.
Cant seem to do this online anymore... that pages doesn't exist :-(
i didn't even got letter, just found out today that im getting charged extra £1 what a robin basterds! They really believe in better for themselves!
sabir

Cant seem to do this online anymore... that pages doesn't exist :-(

im trying to find, but spend 20 min and there is no where to found how to cancel it!!! They really roberts!
Thanks for that. They have charged me £1.25 for voicemail and yes the phone line has gone up by a £1. Disgusting. Thinking of changing to Virgin.
joynotjoyce111

Thanks for that. They have charged me £1.25 for voicemail and yes the … Thanks for that. They have charged me £1.25 for voicemail and yes the phone line has gone up by a £1. Disgusting. Thinking of changing to Virgin.

No problem.. I see they are changing their call package very soon, but offering the first month at no extra charge! That's big of them oO.. No Virgin here to move to sadly
Edited by: "pileemhigh" 6th Nov 2015
I pay line rental to BT, don't even know my phone number !

Not had a phone plugged into the wall for a few years now.

Better check if I'm paying for any additional services I'll never use.
logie31

I pay line rental to BT, don't even know my phone number !Not had a phone … I pay line rental to BT, don't even know my phone number !Not had a phone plugged into the wall for a few years now. Better check if I'm paying for any additional services I'll never use.

You're right. It's worth checking once in a while... There must be a significant number of people now who only have a phone line for broadband and who never make use of voice calls whatsoever. Those lines are just a surcharge for broadband provision!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants