FRONT DOOR SECURITY CAMERA - Recommendations.

Posted 31st Jan
Hi
I am looking to purchase a camera for my front door, then maybe the driveway & back garden if I could afford it but I don’t have more than £150 to spend, what would you recommend?
Is the RING doorbell the best bet for the front door as I would use it to speak to people ringing the bell if I was out or couldn’t be arsed getting up to answer the door ? I am a bit concerned over stories in the media about it being hacked but I would only be using it outside to see who was at the door and coming and going up my driveway as some guttersnipe jumped my side wall and stole one of the hanging baskets and some pots .
In an ideal world I would have a few external camera’s but it just isn’t in my budget unfortunately
Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
£150 on hardware or £150 installed? No problem to sort self-contained external cameras at £17 each where the product surpasses your feature expectations and has added benefit of ONVIF support etc, with comfort of Amazon fulfilment. Optional footage storage via your choice of microSD card if you wish to retain the self-contained option and not spend more wedge on network-based recorder. Low stock at time of this post amazon.co.uk/dp/…S8/
My 2 pence worth
This camera amazon.co.uk/Sur…91W
Has the option to turn off the infrared, so a good option if you have an outside pir or at least a nearby streetlight
Below is a screenshot through an upstairs window at night
39810222-br8f7.jpgA cheap led floodlight can sort that if needed.
This model is able to move and has a motion tracking feature (makes it look like someone's at home controlling it) you get a months cloud storage free, but then you have to pay.

My second camera is Neos
amazon.co.uk/Neo…3SZ
39810222-tlSDq.jpgYes I must fix that gate!
No pan and tilt on this one but you do get 30 second clips to the cloud for life (15 seconds before the event, and 15 seconds after), can be set to activate on sound or motion (same on previous camera) and you can pay for longer clips and zone blanking (stops trees or cars etc. Triggering)
And as previously, you can turn off the infrared.
They both need an app to view, but the advantage is that there's no port forwarding to set up on your router, you can use an emulator if you really want it on a pc
Regarding the Ring things being hacked, read the actual stories. It was people who had had their details hacked on another website and used the same details across a number of websites. They also didn’t have 2FA set up.

We have a Ring doorbell and have been really impressed with it, picture quality is good and it’s been great when we’re out and about to be able to answer the door.
Cakeboy7901/02/2020 13:32

Regarding the Ring things being hacked, read the actual stories. It was …Regarding the Ring things being hacked, read the actual stories. It was people who had had their details hacked on another website and used the same details across a number of websites. They also didn’t have 2FA set up. We have a Ring doorbell and have been really impressed with it, picture quality is good and it’s been great when we’re out and about to be able to answer the door.

Thanks, I am not very techy so it’s good to know
AndyRoyd31/01/2020 22:33

£150 on hardware or £150 installed? No problem to sort self-contained e …£150 on hardware or £150 installed? No problem to sort self-contained external cameras at £17 each where the product surpasses your feature expectations and has added benefit of ONVIF support etc, with comfort of Amazon fulfilment. Optional footage storage via your choice of microSD card if you wish to retain the self-contained option and not spend more wedge on network-based recorder. Low stock at time of this post https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MP599S8/

Thanks, I am not very technical so I am unsure what some of you have written means but I am guessing you are saying these are adequate for outside my house?
esar01/02/2020 00:59

My 2 pence worthThis camera …My 2 pence worthThis camera https://www.amazon.co.uk/Surveillance-Wireless-Detection-Security-Cameras/dp/B07PFF891WHas the option to turn off the infrared, so a good option if you have an outside pir or at least a nearby streetlightBelow is a screenshot through an upstairs window at night[Image] A cheap led floodlight can sort that if needed.This model is able to move and has a motion tracking feature (makes it look like someone's at home controlling it) you get a months cloud storage free, but then you have to pay.My second camera is Neoshttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Neos-SmartCam-Vision-Camera-Warranty/dp/B07JY7K3SZ[Image] Yes I must fix that gate!No pan and tilt on this one but you do get 30 second clips to the cloud for life (15 seconds before the event, and 15 seconds after), can be set to activate on sound or motion (same on previous camera) and you can pay for longer clips and zone blanking (stops trees or cars etc. Triggering)And as previously, you can turn off the infrared.They both need an app to view, but the advantage is that there's no port forwarding to set up on your router, you can use an emulator if you really want it on a pc

Thanks, your info has helped as I am clueless with techy terms so I will go and have a look at them on Amazon ,
Dea33201/02/2020 21:45

Thanks, I am not very technical so I am unsure what some of you have …Thanks, I am not very technical so I am unsure what some of you have written means but I am guessing you are saying these are adequate for outside my house?

The £17.69 Amazon item (or discounted one-off to £16) will provide the functions you requested, plus has other features that can operate independently of or in conjunction with standard industry security kit. Amazon being Amazon you could order and see if you are comfortable with it / them, or return, although consider the stock is diminishing and currently only three are available with no hint of re-stocking. Other similar semi-branded items are available in larger quantites, although likely minimum £20+ each before you start considering any optional microSD / network storage.
The two I talked about are for inside only, but a Wayze enclosure will make the neos waterproof
Edited by: "esar" 2nd Feb
esar01/02/2020 00:59

My 2 pence worthThis camera …My 2 pence worthThis camera https://www.amazon.co.uk/Surveillance-Wireless-Detection-Security-Cameras/dp/B07PFF891WHas the option to turn off the infrared, so a good option if you have an outside pir or at least a nearby streetlightBelow is a screenshot through an upstairs window at night[Image] A cheap led floodlight can sort that if needed.This model is able to move and has a motion tracking feature (makes it look like someone's at home controlling it) you get a months cloud storage free, but then you have to pay.My second camera is Neoshttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Neos-SmartCam-Vision-Camera-Warranty/dp/B07JY7K3SZ[Image] Yes I must fix that gate!No pan and tilt on this one but you do get 30 second clips to the cloud for life (15 seconds before the event, and 15 seconds after), can be set to activate on sound or motion (same on previous camera) and you can pay for longer clips and zone blanking (stops trees or cars etc. Triggering)And as previously, you can turn off the infrared.They both need an app to view, but the advantage is that there's no port forwarding to set up on your router, you can use an emulator if you really want it on a pc

What gate? I can barley see anything
chrishartley7204/02/2020 11:02

What gate? I can barley see anything

Real world image, if I could be bothered to fix my pir light, it'd be a pucca image!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants