Expired

Frozen Beef Joint - over 12 months old......is it OK to eat?

Found 9th Oct 2011
I was looking yesterday for something for a late Sunday dinner and found a lovely piece of beef in the freezer. Only problem......it has 27th Dec on it, which I think would have been 2009.

We've defrosted it and it doesn't smell, but looks brown like a matured steak. I realise over time that it may have lost it's flavour but.......is it still OK to eat?
Community Updates
18 Comments
Personally I wouldn't risk it with meat.
Beef should be fine. but your call.
I doubt anything nasty could have grown in cold temperatures but the length of time frozen may have destroyed the texture or even absorbed flavours from other things in the freezer.
i done the same thing last weekend, the joint had been in the freezer for 12 months.
but i took my risk and it was fine.
Be prepared for a day off work tomorrow with food poisioning.
as long as when you froze it it wasn't off / and stored well AND you cook it well and not rare etc , you will be fine .

The texture / taste though will be altered as someone has already said though ..... I would stew it / slow cook it / soup it only as the pieces will be small and therefore texture not so much noticable ...tell us how it went ..
DLM

Be prepared for a day off work tomorrow with food poisioning.

Maybe from scabby chickens. but not beef.
DangerGod

Maybe from scabby chickens. but not beef.

Obsessed with chickens these day's aren't you DG.

Where have all the school girl's gone that you used to stalk.
DLM

Obsessed with chickens these day's aren't you DG.Where have all the … Obsessed with chickens these day's aren't you DG.Where have all the school girl's gone that you used to stalk.

i dont know

are you still dating that butt ugly dude?
whaat ?? bin it.
Yes it is fine to eat, the worst it could have is something called freezer burn which could mean it will look a bit different and may not taste as good as it would have if you'd eaten it within a month.
DangerGod

i dont know :(are you still dating that butt ugly dude?

Butt ugly X)
Yep will be fine, found a 2 year pork joint last week and had it for sunday lunch
2 year pork 3 year beef ???

how often do guys clean ur freezers out?? but to answers the op's question beef should fine
ViperKeith

2 year pork 3 year beef ???how often do guys clean ur freezers out?? but … 2 year pork 3 year beef ???how often do guys clean ur freezers out?? but to answers the op's question beef should fine

Got a chest freezer in the garage and often find stuff in there i had forgotten about
If it was fresh when you froze it and you cook it thoroughly - I would forgo the medium rare on this occasion - then anything nasty isn't going to survive. Applies to any meat. Might taste awful though. That "matured" colour is the meat drying out.
Cooked it, spelt gorgeous - gave it to the dog (_;)
inb4 dogs dead
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants