Frozen Greggs pies - expired - ok to eat?

We stumbled across several packs of frozen Greggs pies from Iceland which expired 2 to 3 months ago - are they still good / edible?

9 Comments

yes they will be fine, just get out to defrost on the day your going to use them

You may get some freezer burn at worst but they should be perfectly safe. I've never actually experienced frozen food 'going off' and my understanding is that , as long as they don't defrost, they'll never go off, only lose texture and/or taste.

I freeze things if I've bought them when they are about to go out of date, if I can't eat them in time. I've eaten things up to around 8 months out of date and never had a funny tummy yet following this.

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - just what I wanted to hear so the food doesn't go to waste.

I know if say we bought chilled meat and cannot consume by expiry date, freezing it should be fine, but have never given much though over frozen products going beyond their expiry date.

You are worrying about that.

I used to buy day old food of thiers at a Greegs shop where they sent all previous days unsold product from other branches in an certain area to.

They would reheat the pies for anybody that asked.

Well I am still here.

nhs.uk/Liv…spx

Freezing and defrosting meat and fish
It's safe to freeze meat and fish as long as you:
freeze it any time before its use-by date
defrost meat and fish thoroughly before cooking – lots of liquid will come out as meat thaws, so stand it in a bowl to stop bacteria in the juice spreading to other things
defrost meat or fish in a microwave if you intend to cook straight away, or if not, defrost in the fridge overnight so it doesn't get too warm
cook food until it's steaming hot throughout
Make sure meat is properly wrapped in the freezer or it might get freezer burn, which can make it tough and inedible.
Date and label meat in the freezer and eat it within 24 hours of defrosting.
You can freeze meat for a long time and it will still be safe to eat, but the quality will deteriorate so it's best to eat it within three to six months.
Don't worry if it's frozen for longer – try marinating it before cooking to improve texture or use herbs and spices to add flavour.

Edited by: "davewave" 24th Jan

another frozen food question was it safe to eat before freezing that's the main question . if it was it will be if it wasn't it won't be I remembered someone ask the same question about freezing chicken breast and it had gone off before the use by date so bit pointless hoping it's good if u freeze it.

I would eat one then wait and see if you react before eating any more.

psmith1958

yes they will be fine, just get out to defrost on the day your going to … yes they will be fine, just get out to defrost on the day your going to use them

You've got to love this site. It has experts in all fields.
No need to defrost, these are best cooked from frozen.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Does Tesco call you after a delivery?813
    2. Issue with a CV rewrite any help appreciated.22
    3. Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)33
    4. Morrisons Cafe45

See more discussions