Found 20th Dec 2010
Possibly a really stooopid question. But is it possible/likely that my car ignition has frozen up?
I just went to go out in the car and can't get the key in the ignition all the way!
I know car doors/locks do but not had this before.
In a way I'm hoping it is that and not something more serious.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
32 Comments

OLD OLD Car?

Tried WD40 or Anti-freeze spray stuff?

Try moving around the wheel whilst pushing the key in, to "jiggle it" a little - might be the steering lock.

Original Poster

It's an X reg Picasso. Have tried both of ur suggestions, (Not WD40 stuff as not got any but tried anti freeze) thank u guys but still no luck
So it is likely to be that then? At least I know it's not a more serios problem then x
Edited by: "hannah19790" 20th Dec 2010

have you tried warming up the key in some hot water and putting it in the ignition?

dmtuk

have you tried warming up the key in some hot water and putting it in the … have you tried warming up the key in some hot water and putting it in the ignition?

or a lighter

Or placing the palm of your hand over the keyhole for 5 minutes, that usually does the trick. But, I'd be very surprised if your ignition has frozen, i've only ever had it happen to the outside door locks.

It does sound more like the steering lock has come on.

Can you turn the steering wheel Hannah?

Digital display in my car stereo was burst this morning :(. we had -16

Banned

What's a 'car ignition'? Mine has a button.

Original Poster

Have tried warming the key in water but not a lighter....will try that next. Yes, the steering lock is on I think as it moves just a tad but I'm used to that being on.....also the key defo isn't going all the way in! (I do hate it when that happens!!

JonnyTwoToes

http://christmaspresentideas.org.uk/shopping/img/4/11746.jpg

Banned

DAMNOME

Mine's a convertible! Fail!!!!!
Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 20th Dec 2010

JonnyTwoToes

I'd love to offer great advice like yours but my chauffeur deals with everything in the front of the car, I just sit in the back . . . .

JonnyTwoToes

Mind's a convertible! Fail!!!!!

Even bigger fail!

Original Poster

DAMNOME

LOL'd X)

I would crack out the hair dryer and an extension cable, had to this with the water pump for the window wipers, as I couldn't get any washer fluid that had the stuff in to stop it from freezing in the pump reserve.

Original Poster

Adam2050

I would crack out the hair dryer and an extension cable, had to this with … I would crack out the hair dryer and an extension cable, had to this with the water pump for the window wipers, as I couldn't get any washer fluid that had the stuff in to stop it from freezing in the pump reserve.

Ah yh, that's a good idea...thanks hun x

Banned

JonnyTwoToes

Theres still an ignition system. And personally I'd rather have the (Slight) extra control of a key.

Like those push button handbrakes on VWs... that break all the time.

Anyways... OP... drop a lighter into the fuel tank. Ignition will prob unfreeze then.

Banned

vibeone

Theres still an ignition system. And personally I'd rather have the … Theres still an ignition system. And personally I'd rather have the (Slight) extra control of a key.Like those push button handbrakes on VWs... that break all the time.Anyways... OP... drop a lighter into the fuel tank. Ignition will prob unfreeze then.

Really? I thought it was magic.
Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 20th Dec 2010

vibeone

[.Anyways... OP... drop a lighter into the fuel tank. Ignition will prob … [.Anyways... OP... drop a lighter into the fuel tank. Ignition will prob unfreeze then.

Tried that.... now got a key and no car to put it in!!!

Sloth/Mod

Have you tried this?

http://www.verumserum.com/data/carthrash.jpg

Banned

JonnyTwoToes

Really? I thought it was magic.

wouldn't surprise me...

Original Poster

Syzable

Have you tried this?

That's next, if nothing then Vibeone's suggestion it is!!

Thanks all for help x

Banned

vibeone

wouldn't surprise me...

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7800/surprisea.jpg

How about now?

If its the ignition barrel then i doubt it would freeze unless there has been a leak in the car roof - Convertable - or moisture dripping into the ignition via condensation. Or snow has got into it....

Could something of been jammed into it?

Banned

JonnyTwoToes

How about now?

I commend you on your correct take on the VB1 branding. :P

Banned

vibeone

I commend you on your correct take on the VB1 branding. :P

Magenta and Cyan are my 2nd and 3rd favourite colours.

1st is Black. Like your soul. Spamking!

Original Poster

Looks like the barrels broke!! Bloody haidryer!! lol

Thanks for all ur help tho guys xx

Banned

Try some KY. That normally does the trick in similar situations!

Original Poster

guv

Try some KY. That normally does the trick in similar situations!

Haha tried that 1st!
Edited by: "hannah19790" 20th Dec 2010

sorted it yet?

Original Poster

Yes, had someone out to have a look.....something to do with the barrel. Now I can take the key out the ignition while driving...how handy's that?? oO lol

Thanks for all ur help xx
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best renewal with sky after last offer66
    2. Advice on claiming from Salford Council pot hole damage11
    3. Want to sell on DLC ebay44
    4. heart rate monitor fitness watch58

See more discussions