Fruit trees

Found 11th Sep 2017
So I've bought a house this year and I've decided I want a few fruit trees.. I've been reading about grafting on to root stock. And I think I'm wanting a few dwarf or semi dwarf trees.. could anyone suggest a cheap place/ website I could buy some from? I'm also very new to gardening so is it necessary to get trees that are grafted? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Aldi, Lidl, B&Q , Wilko, Homebase etc sell fruit trees. These are usually ready to go, patio trees. You can grow these either in a large patio tub or planted in the garden. Apple trees tend to be very resilient (how many apple trees do you see viewing at the side of the road, untended?).
These don't grow to big if you prune them. Consider a grape vine or two for any sunny wall. These can bear fruit, but are a wonderful wall of colour in late summer. Surprisingly easy to grow too.
Edited by: "mrty" 11th Sep 2017
The cheap apple and pear trees are okay but you should get good quality cherry trees from a nursery. I am about to dig out two cherry trees I got from Morrisons because after 8 years they are not fruiting. A friend has the same problem. Fruit trees are a long term investment so it pays to shop wisely if you want a decent crop.
Dwarf Bramley Apple and dwarf cherry are good small trees. There are dwarf eating apples as well, it is worth thinking about flavour when purchasing apple trees. A plum is a great tree to have in the garden. I think you need to think about what you like to eat or cook with so it is the most useful. There is no point in growing a fruit tree if you are not going to use the fruit, also consider which is more expensive in the shops so by growing it, it is best value. Cherries are so expensive in the shops so they are great value as long as you beat the birds to get them, I don't mind sharing mine and dwarf makes life a lot easier but yield may not be as high. Good luck
I meant to say mine are all from a nursery, Blackmoor Fruit nursery. Yes a little more expensive but I was getting fruit fairly early after planting, quite soon it will be bare root season so they will be cheaper. Check local nurseries but also good nurseries on line.
Original Poster
Rose521 h, 35 m ago

I meant to say mine are all from a nursery, Blackmoor Fruit nursery. Yes a …I meant to say mine are all from a nursery, Blackmoor Fruit nursery. Yes a little more expensive but I was getting fruit fairly early after planting, quite soon it will be bare root season so they will be cheaper. Check local nurseries but also good nurseries on line.

I've read blackmoor is good to get grafted trees on a different site aswell so I will have a look there. I'm probably wanting two types of plum (greengade and I think Victoria.) and a eating apple.. but I probably would get more if we can find space! My family eats a lot of fruit. The cherry tree are the cherrys sweet like shop bought? I seem to remember British are really sour? We have a cooking apple tree already that's big.. probably 30plus years old. I was toying with the idea of grafting a eating apple onto a branch of that.. but don't really know much about that.
Original Poster
Rose521 h, 40 m ago

I meant to say mine are all from a nursery, Blackmoor Fruit nursery. Yes a …I meant to say mine are all from a nursery, Blackmoor Fruit nursery. Yes a little more expensive but I was getting fruit fairly early after planting, quite soon it will be bare root season so they will be cheaper. Check local nurseries but also good nurseries on line.

When is it bare root season? October? And are they okay to plant over winter? I think I will get dwarf or semi as it will make it easier to harvest and they won't need as much space
There are different varieties of cherry on their site, they are also good at advising you. Check out more information on RHS website, it too is very helpful
Original Poster
Rose51 h, 50 m ago

There are different varieties of cherry on their site, they are also good …There are different varieties of cherry on their site, they are also good at advising you. Check out more information on RHS website, it too is very helpful

Okay thanks for the advice
Make sure you read up on pruning your fruit trees. Different ones blossom and fruit on new/old growth for example plums tend to fruit on the last years growth so if you over prune you will lesson the crop. They can also be pruned to grow against walls/fences to maximise space.

I've been growing fruit etc for a few years now, it's really rewarding but also sometimes frustrating like when your pear tree has hundreds of blooms and the wind and rain knocks them all off
Original Poster
Purps23 h, 51 m ago

Make sure you read up on pruning your fruit trees. Different ones blossom …Make sure you read up on pruning your fruit trees. Different ones blossom and fruit on new/old growth for example plums tend to fruit on the last years growth so if you over prune you will lesson the crop. They can also be pruned to grow against walls/fences to maximise space.I've been growing fruit etc for a few years now, it's really rewarding but also sometimes frustrating like when your pear tree has hundreds of blooms and the wind and rain knocks them all off

I've been watching the blackmoors videos on pruning.. I think my main problem will be not knowing when I should be doing things. We have a small pear tree that hasn't fruited and with that as a example it has rust spots on the leaves.. I think it could have a disease but what I don't know yet.

I think I'm going to wait till it's bare root season and buy a big order from blackmoors as you get discount the more you spend and you also get a fruit ground book which will be handy.

I yes I can imagine it's rewarding and frustrating. We have a big old apple tree with the new house and it's great but getting to the apples can be quite difficult.
xxjenixx1413th Sep

I've been watching the blackmoors videos on pruning.. I think my main …I've been watching the blackmoors videos on pruning.. I think my main problem will be not knowing when I should be doing things. We have a small pear tree that hasn't fruited and with that as a example it has rust spots on the leaves.. I think it could have a disease but what I don't know yet. I think I'm going to wait till it's bare root season and buy a big order from blackmoors as you get discount the more you spend and you also get a fruit ground book which will be handy.I yes I can imagine it's rewarding and frustrating. We have a big old apple tree with the new house and it's great but getting to the apples can be quite difficult.

Rust spots info here......

When to prune
  • Free-standing fruit trees or bush trees, such as those grown in an orchard should be pruned when they're dormant, in winter.
  • Trained trees, such as espaliers, cordons, pyramids and fans should be pruned in late August or early September.

Hope that helps
Suttons seeds have a yearly promotion where most fruit trees are reduced to £5, think its normally about April time (end of season).

Normal prices are about £20 - £40 i think
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions