ftp android not picking up nas

12 replies
Found 9th Aug 2016
afternoon everyone. I've just received an android box quad core 4k media player running 5.1. I'm trying to run my media through an ftp server so I can watch from anywhere, phone, hotels etc. the issue I have is I have an old mybooklive box and no software I have found to run an ftp will scan network, just internal. hope that makes sense thanks Ant

12 Comments

have you set your router at home to forward ftp requests to the nas

You don't need ftp. Just install WD 2go. Either that, use Kodi, using the nas drive's IP number with the login details for a DNLA server.
Edited by: "FinderOfDeals" 9th Aug 2016

Original Poster

thanks for the feedback. I've been using w2go for yrs but the processor is old and lacks the kick for 1080p movies. especially pushing to 3 to 4 tv's in the house. I've been trying kodi but how do I set it up for access outside. it's find inside. also I need to setup the server as only certain people can access certain files wasn't sure if that could be done with kodi

Edited by: "wildchild121007" 9th Aug 2016

Original Poster

that sounds perfect. I've spent hrs looking for somthing like that. thanks

If ftp isn't working on kodi I'd assume your ftp isn't working as it should. Try Filezila to test the ftp & settings if Filezila works then you've not setup ftp on kodi correctly.

Original Poster

ok guys got kodi working which is allowing me to see the videos. but when I click a video it won't let me stream to my device it play on the TV instead.

FTP isn't really made for streaming. Use Samba or NFS instead, your NAS should support both and Kodi has native support.

Original Poster

I've got samba working but no joy

Original Poster

I'm going to install a Linux app on the box. then try to install plex server. can't find anyone that has tried this
Edited by: "wildchild121007" 12th Aug 2016

wildchild121007

I'm going to install a Linux app on the box. then try to install plex … I'm going to install a Linux app on the box. then try to install plex server. can't find anyone that has tried this

If the box will support it then Plexserver is the way to go. Admittedly my environment is different as I have a Decent spec Windows server to run Plex from but Plexweb is brilliant for remote streaming of your stored media and there are Plex Client apps for almost every device you can think of.
Maybe it's time to upgrade your storage to something a little beefier?

Original Poster

I've tried for the past two days. just can't get Linux to run on the box. Plex isn't avaliable as a server for android which would be a lot simpler.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anyone know of any budget laptops which charge through USB-C?44
    2. CEX grading12
    3. Switch from BT to BT same property different person627
    4. Advice on claiming from Salford Council pot hole damage22

See more discussions