Expired

Fuel debt help needed

Found 30th May
I’m in debt with my gas and electric bill that went OTT over the bad winter I’ve always tried to keep up with monthly payments but I’m in arrears by just under £500. It’s worrying me and I need some advice which would be much appreciated ...
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
The winter was certainly not that cold but it was long. I have just changed suppliers and was £38 in debt where I could normally expect to be in credit by this time of year. Speak to your supplier asap. This isn't something to bury your head in. It won't go away. I hate to sound like a moaning Minnie but a few days ago you were asking for ideas for a holiday. I get why you would want that, wouldn't we all but if you can't afford the basics, is this wise?
15 Comments
Contact supplier and be open and honest.

Was in same hole +20years ago. They installed prepayment meters to recover debt and keep forward use in check.

I think for every pound I topped up, 10p was taken off of debt. I was also able to make bulk payments off of debt if I wanted.
Sorry to hear the situation you are in, it’s easily done. I’m with EDF and I know they offer a re-payment plan if you are struggling to pay. Speak to the company you are with and let them know you are finding it difficult. I really hope you get it sorted and try not to worry.
Service companies have a legal duty to help you but that only kicks in when you tell them you are having trouble meeting the payments. But before you agree anything with them also go to Citizen's Advice or contact your local council for someone in the area who will be able to give you unbiased advice.

Prepay meters are not always the best answer because if you are having trouble paying now then adding about 20% to the cost of your energy bill won't help and this is what prepay meters do. Try to stay on monthly direct debit payments these are the cheapest.

Best of luck, but don't worry about it no one is going to come and cart you off to prison or turn of the power. But you need to not ignore it.
we're over 500 in arrears but that's fine, It will balance out over the summer. The last thing you want is for them to be holding on to your money.
termite30th May

we're over 500 in arrears but that's fine, It will balance out over the …we're over 500 in arrears but that's fine, It will balance out over the summer. The last thing you want is for them to be holding on to your money.

Why not just give them a monthly reading every month and then just pay it instead of paying a set amount each month?

You would have to pay any arrears before you could move supplier if looking for a better deal.
4TheManyNotTheFew30th May

Service companies have a legal duty to help you but that only kicks in …Service companies have a legal duty to help you but that only kicks in when you tell them you are having trouble meeting the payments. But before you agree anything with them also go to Citizen's Advice or contact your local council for someone in the area who will be able to give you unbiased advice.Prepay meters are not always the best answer because if you are having trouble paying now then adding about 20% to the cost of your energy bill won't help and this is what prepay meters do. Try to stay on monthly direct debit payments these are the cheapest.Best of luck, but don't worry about it no one is going to come and cart you off to prison or turn of the power. But you need to not ignore it.

Yes, type FUEL POVERTY into a search engine, there is loads of info, go in to your utility provider call informed and self educated or reach out to the many charities to do it on your behalf.
karlypants1 h, 3 m ago

Why not just give them a monthly reading every month and then just pay it …Why not just give them a monthly reading every month and then just pay it instead of paying a set amount each month?You would have to pay any arrears before you could move supplier if looking for a better deal.

Can't be bothered. We are not under contract and can pay off that small balance if we find a brilliant deal to lock in to.
Contact them and tell them you’re struggling. If they demand payments then go to your local citizens advice bureau and get them to help you.. they can write them a letter for you explaining your situation and ask them to offer you some help with paying of arrears.. I’m sure they will propose something reasonable.
Good luck and I hope you get it sorted ASAP.
As said above let your energy company know. BTW the winter just been was quite mild and I think the UK saw the lowest energy usage for many many years.
Mild....!
No idea where midurix lives, certainly was not mild here, my usage was highest I've had...and am in debt too, my energy company upped my monthly DD by a third..! ...will just about be paid off by next winter..maybe!..
Best of luck frizzy, IF you really struggling, I would definitely seek professional advice, C.A.B. ARE good, would be my first port of call..
The winter was certainly not that cold but it was long. I have just changed suppliers and was £38 in debt where I could normally expect to be in credit by this time of year. Speak to your supplier asap. This isn't something to bury your head in. It won't go away. I hate to sound like a moaning Minnie but a few days ago you were asking for ideas for a holiday. I get why you would want that, wouldn't we all but if you can't afford the basics, is this wise?
Only £500? My previous place we were regularly £1500 over, the heating bill was horrendous! Now I'm only paying £35/month
I rarely put heating on. Maybe only once a week when i really had to in winter.
I just put jumper on or / and a hoodie. saves a fortune in heating bills, mind you can sometimes see your breath downstairs in my house. You get used to it pretty quickly, and wonder why everywhere is so hot when you go out shopping etc.
We never use the gas central heating but we get a bill quarterly that's always £250 or around that amount for gas and electric.
You should find that the following website will give you lots of help and advice in your situation

citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ls/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants