Fuel poverty help

Posted 8th Nov
This is a service that is free and can help people if they are in social housing or private housing there are criteria to use the service. This service can help you save money on gas and electricity. You will need to check they cover your area.

applyforleap.org.uk/eli…ty/
Community Updates

Groups

8 Comments
You can get £140 towards your energy Bill's if your household income is less than £16,000
I don't really understand stuff like this.
It's great that people who REALLY need it can get help but the existence of this is proof that people are in poverty?
And the majority of the list is people who receive some kind of govt benefit?
I understand that these people may or may not need help but there's also a lot of people that work full time on that very fine line of breaking even per month that wouldn't be eligible.
Like a lot of things, would be better if they addressed the overall price structure of energy companies for EVERYONE so there isn't a need for things like this and not just give benefits for the most needy.
Scotland can produce enough wind energy over 6 months to power two Scotlands but it's too much for the national grid to cope with so they're told to shut them down.
?
Yet here's fuel poverty benefits which the majority if not all are social housing who could essentially use electric heating systems instead of gas if the councils got their act together and made a plan to install them instead of giving MPs a pay rise. lol
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 8th Nov
Cloeeez08/11/2019 16:07

I don't really understand stuff like this.It's great that people who …I don't really understand stuff like this.It's great that people who REALLY need it can get help but the existence of this is proof that people are in poverty?And the majority of the list is people who receive some kind of govt benefit?I understand that these people may or may not need help but there's also a lot of people that work full time on that very fine line of breaking even per month that wouldn't be eligible.Like a lot of things, would be better if they addressed the overall price structure of energy companies for EVERYONE so there isn't a need for things like this and not just give benefits for the most needy.Scotland can produce enough wind energy over 6 months to power two Scotlands but it's too much for the national grid to cope with so they're told to shut them down.?Yet here's fuel poverty benefits which the majority if not all are social housing who could essentially use electric heating systems instead of gas if the councils got their act together and made a plan to install them instead of giving MPs a pay rise. lol

I'm sure electric heating costs a lot more than gas. I remember when i was around 5 and we had a wall mounted electric heater in each room, single glazed windows and my mom couldn't afford to put the heating on much because it cost a fortune. It was only 25 years ago and most council houses had electric heaters and residents all couldn't wait to get gas central heating to save money and warm the whole house.
Mark_Hickman08/11/2019 16:58

I'm sure electric heating costs a lot more than gas. I remember when i was …I'm sure electric heating costs a lot more than gas. I remember when i was around 5 and we had a wall mounted electric heater in each room, single glazed windows and my mom couldn't afford to put the heating on much because it cost a fortune. It was only 25 years ago and most council houses had electric heaters and residents all couldn't wait to get gas central heating to save money and warm the whole house.

Yes electricity is more money than gas, but my point is a renewable energy (wind turbines) in Scotland, are being shut down because they are producing more electricity than the national grid can handle 6 months of the year.
I don't know if it's possible to give Scotland their own grid instead of shutting down the wind turbines, but if that was possible not only are you NOT shutting down renewable energy, surely they are a cheaper alternative to maintain instead of gas fracking etc.

Point being if possible
>Another grid
>Allow places like Scotland to use all their renewable 'excess' electricity instead of shutting them down/being fined for overload
>Install modern electric heating systems/cooking points in social housing
>Surely elec bills should be lower as wind turbines etc are cheaper to maintain than fracking etc.

Renewable energy long term is the best solution not only for the planet but for bills if people in power got their act together but too many of them profit off oil etc and turning a blind eye then give out benefits like these for the most needy when generally everyone could be doing with lower fuel bills.

To also add, I read somewhere come 2025 there has to be no gas mains built/connected to new builds. No gas boilers/heating system and I'm pretty sure it would mean gas hobs also. This is to help tackle climate change.
Cloeeez08/11/2019 17:13

Yes electricity is more money than gas, but my point is a renewable energy …Yes electricity is more money than gas, but my point is a renewable energy (wind turbines) in Scotland, are being shut down because they are producing more electricity than the national grid can handle 6 months of the year.I don't know if it's possible to give Scotland their own grid instead of shutting down the wind turbines, but if that was possible not only are you NOT shutting down renewable energy, surely they are a cheaper alternative to maintain instead of gas fracking etc. Point being if possible>Another grid>Allow places like Scotland to use all their renewable 'excess' electricity instead of shutting them down/being fined for overload>Install modern electric heating systems/cooking points in social housing>Surely elec bills should be lower as wind turbines etc are cheaper to maintain than fracking etc.Renewable energy long term is the best solution not only for the planet but for bills if people in power got their act together but too many of them profit off oil etc and turning a blind eye then give out benefits like these for the most needy when generally everyone could be doing with lower fuel bills.To also add, I read somewhere come 2025 there has to be no gas mains built/connected to new builds. No gas boilers/heating system and I'm pretty sure it would mean gas hobs also. This is to help tackle climate change.

I see what you mean, however even if they cut the electric cost per unit by 30% and installed modern electric heaters in each room it would more than likely still cost more than gas.
Each electric heater would be about 3kw, you would have 5 or 6 of them. For the cost of a couple your gas will heat the house, its not ideal unless they give the electric away free or extremely cheap
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 8th Nov
Mark_Hickman08/11/2019 17:24

I see what you mean, however even if they cut the electric cost per unit …I see what you mean, however even if they cut the electric cost per unit by 30% and installed modern electric heaters in each room it would more than likely still cost more than gas.Each electric heater would be about 3kw, you would have 5 or 6 of them. For the cost of a couple your gas will heat the house, its not ideal unless they give the electric away free or extremely cheap

I have Infrared panels in my house and a space heater.
Kw wise they are smaller than storage heating depending on what size you need per room. The biggest kw I have is my space heater (2kw) but I needed that as my living room is open plan with 4.9m high ceilings.
They are still more expensive to run than gas radiators but cheaper than electric storage heaters. The way they heat the room is completely different to gas radiators or storage heaters - which is actually a lot better for your health and dampness. I done a lot of research on them before renovating my house and choosing a heating system.
Bought them from herschel-infrared.co.uk/ who are the lead in this kind of technology and if you're into stuff like this as much as me then it's well worth a read.
I have all my panels on the ceiling and my space heater on my living room wall above my tv.
38935930.jpg38935930.jpg
Anyway my point is, there are companys out there who have made new systems to help towards climate change, health, building maintenance, but old things that are not being addressed like cost in electricity, renewable electricity, backwards government/council are crippling them.
Why the govt isn't addressing renewable energy>lower electricity cost>installing elec heating systems in social housing>giving grants to owners for elec heating systems - is beyond me.
But they'll give owners grants for solar panels, internal/external insulation. I'm yet to come across any solar panels on any government building.
Mark_Hickman08/11/2019 17:24

I see what you mean, however even if they cut the electric cost per unit …I see what you mean, however even if they cut the electric cost per unit by 30% and installed modern electric heaters in each room it would more than likely still cost more than gas.Each electric heater would be about 3kw, you would have 5 or 6 of them. For the cost of a couple your gas will heat the house, its not ideal unless they give the electric away free or extremely cheap

It would need to be nearer 80% reduction. IIRC gas is ~3.2p per KWhr electricity 16 to 20p

I have night storage heaters and even on the best deal available they cost much more than my gas fire to run. No one really talks about this (the focus being on cars) but if we want to stop using fossil fuels the cost of heating a home with electricity has to come down enormously to be affordable.
Cloeeez08/11/2019 17:42

I have Infrared panels in my house and a space heater.Kw wise they are …I have Infrared panels in my house and a space heater.Kw wise they are smaller than storage heating depending on what size you need per room. The biggest kw I have is my space heater (2kw) but I needed that as my living room is open plan with 4.9m high ceilings.They are still more expensive to run than gas radiators but cheaper than electric storage heaters. The way they heat the room is completely different to gas radiators or storage heaters - which is actually a lot better for your health and dampness. I done a lot of research on them before renovating my house and choosing a heating system.Bought them from herschel-infrared.co.uk/ who are the lead in this kind of technology and if you're into stuff like this as much as me then it's well worth a read.I have all my panels on the ceiling and my space heater on my living room wall above my tv.[Image] [Image] Anyway my point is, there are companys out there who have made new systems to help towards climate change, health, building maintenance, but old things that are not being addressed like cost in electricity, renewable electricity, backwards government/council are crippling them.Why the govt isn't addressing renewable energy>lower electricity cost>installing elec heating systems in social housing>giving grants to owners for elec heating systems - is beyond me.But they'll give owners grants for solar panels, internal/external insulation. I'm yet to come across any solar panels on any government building.

I was about to say nice design until i saw the xbox just kidding.
I'm impressed with those heaters if they can be that small and heat that room efficiently without being very loud over the tv thats great.
I've seen council offices with solar panels but not houses
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants