Fuel price disparity

Found 8th May
Just been checking the prices of Diesel near me, and it's £1.23 per litre at all the local big supermarkets.

Travel to Walsall, and the Diesel is £1.15 per litre at these same supermarkets.

Why the big price difference? Is this profiteering in my local area?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Transport costs. Volume of sales. Number of garages in the area. Market forces effect prices. I pay 2p more at my local but who cares. Its quiet and I'm in out quickly
Edited by: "wayners" 8th May
wait till you find out that diesel is cheaper nearly everywhere else in europe
The Sainsbury at Walsall (reedswood?) has been cheap for a long time, I often deliver near there and it always seems to be 7 or 8p cheaper than elsewhere.
in other breaking news it has been confirmed that the pope is cathoplic and bears goto the toilet in the woods
Infractionboi9 m ago

in other breaking news it has been confirmed that the pope is cathoplic …in other breaking news it has been confirmed that the pope is cathoplic and bears goto the toilet in the woods

I thought the bear was Catholic and the Pope does in the woods.
Yes it's profiteering (that's what businesses do) I use my local independent garage.
not sure what's wrong with profiteering, if that's what it is. I own a diesel myself and peed off at the price hikes but what can you do.

I think there is an app which shows fuel prices for forecourts in different areas. not sure what its called. could be a website though and not an app.
Edited by: "EN1GMA" 8th May
EN1GMA54 m ago

not sure what's wrong with profiteering, if that's what it is. I own a …not sure what's wrong with profiteering, if that's what it is. I own a diesel myself and peed off at the price hikes but what can you do.I think there is an app which shows fuel prices for forecourts in different areas. not sure what its called. could be a website though and not an app.

PetrolPrices.com - used to be good but now you need to pay for 'plus' to be able to see all of the prices.
£1.26 is the norm for diesel down here but there will always be places willing to compete for your business by lowering their prices - it's part of a free market. If the cost of time and fuel is worth a trip to Walsall, you are quids in.
Would need to be a bigger saving than that to get me to visit Walsall.......
daletharper8th May

The Sainsbury at Walsall (reedswood?) has been cheap for a long time, I …The Sainsbury at Walsall (reedswood?) has been cheap for a long time, I often deliver near there and it always seems to be 7 or 8p cheaper than elsewhere.

Yes it is that one, and also the Tesco extra. A £6 saving to fill my tank. Usually fill up there if visiting relatives.
wayners8th May

Transport costs. Volume of sales. Number of garages in the area. Market …Transport costs. Volume of sales. Number of garages in the area. Market forces effect prices. I pay 2p more at my local but who cares. Its quiet and I'm in out quickly

I don't think it's transport costs, there are other fuel stations in nearby towns that are a lot dearer. If a supermarket can get away with charging 8p more per litre in one town they will, not sure why Walsall gets to have it 8p cheaper per litre at the same Big 4 supermarkets, just a different town.
EN1GMA8th May

not sure what's wrong with profiteering, if that's what it is. I own a …not sure what's wrong with profiteering, if that's what it is. I own a diesel myself and peed off at the price hikes but what can you do.I think there is an app which shows fuel prices for forecourts in different areas. not sure what its called. could be a website though and not an app.

The only thing we can do is protest or stop filling our tanks (highly unlikely). Judging by past protests these happen for a short time, then it's back to business for most people. Debt slavery keeps a hold :).
Ar460rn8th May

PetrolPrices.com - used to be good but now you need to pay for 'plus' to …PetrolPrices.com - used to be good but now you need to pay for 'plus' to be able to see all of the prices.£1.26 is the norm for diesel down here but there will always be places willing to compete for your business by lowering their prices - it's part of a free market. If the cost of time and fuel is worth a trip to Walsall, you are quids in.

Their website still works for me, you just login to view the prices. The main supermarket prices are visible but some of the local garages are hidden.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions