Groups

Fully comp and named drivers

Do you need to be a named driver on a policy if your already fully comprehensive on another. I'm fully comp on my own car so do I need to be named as a driver on my Mrs policy or can I drive her car regardless. In the past we have always been named drivers on each other's policies.

17 Comments

Original Poster

Also I have previously had two cars and had two separate insurances for these and put down my no claims on them both. I have just been informed you can only earn no claims on one vehicle. . I think I had six years, no claims, bought another car aswell and put down six years no claims on that insurance and now I have 9 years. Just been told I shouldnt have done that. I'm I still OK put down 9 years no claims on this second car, I have I, in fact only earned 3 years on it.?

each policy has its own no claims, I have 3 separate policies each with different no claims amounts. two of the policies allow me to drive any vehicle (with the owners consent) but third party cover only, I also think the vehicle your borrowing has to be insured in someone elses name for your insurance to cover you third party.

shadey12

each policy has its own no claims, I have 3 separate policies each with … each policy has its own no claims, I have 3 separate policies each with different no claims amounts. two of the policies allow me to drive any vehicle (with the owners consent) but third party cover only, I also think the vehicle your borrowing has to be insured in someone elses name for your insurance to cover you third party.

​What he said.

Read the terms and conditions on your own policy. Many insurance policies do NOT allow you to drive any other vehicle these days (keeps your premium down).

Original Poster

That sounds for the replies. Also can you earn ncd as named driver on a policy?

Putting yourself down as a named driver on your partners policy can lower the cost. I put my wife on my policy even though she don't drive car

On a side note: having another driver on your policy can sometimes bring the policy quote down too, so always worth checking when getting said quote.

mart321

That sounds for the replies. Also can you earn ncd as named driver on a … That sounds for the replies. Also can you earn ncd as named driver on a policy?

No, but you may be able to negotiate a deal on an individual basis, maybe only for a year. Using your own insurance you would still only be insured 3rd party driving the Mrs car, so if your in an accident and its your fault or contested or the other party aren't insured, your screwed

Also, just for your own info, being a named driver rarely covers you for journeys to and from a place of work. They hide it in the small print!!

Regarding the NCD , I have 14 years ncd on one Vauxhall and 12 years ncd on another Vauxhall and bought a van 2 weeks ago . So, I would have thought I'd have to start fresh as far as the ncd discount on this new policy ,but no I was told I could mirror the ncd on one of my Vauxhalls . I'd never heard of this before . I was asked "can I prove the NCD's if needed" , I can and have'nt heard anything more . I was also told I cannot drive someone else's car on my van policy.

shadey12

each policy has its own no claims, I have 3 separate policies each with … each policy has its own no claims, I have 3 separate policies each with different no claims amounts. two of the policies allow me to drive any vehicle (with the owners consent) but third party cover only, I also think the vehicle your borrowing has to be insured in someone elses name for your insurance to cover you third party.

​+1 for shadey12

I'm sure I've read somewhere that if you are married, you cannot drive your wife's/husband's car on the 'Driving other peoples cars' part of your fully comp policy.

EDIT: read here confused.com/mot…nce
    Edited by: "jambone" 2nd Jun

Original Poster

Tha so for the replies ppl, seems like it's a bit of a minefield. Anyway this is now the situation I find myself in.

I shared a car with my partner for 4 years, I was main driver, she named driver. I earned 7 years ncd as the main driver.

I purchased a different vehicle a year ago and made myself the main driver and my partner the named driver. I used my ncd in this policy so I now have 8 years ncd.

When my Mrs car insurance was due for renewal I continued it as it was. With me as the main driver and her as named driver. I continues to use the ncd. I now have two policies as a main driver with 8 ncd.

I had a smash last month which was my fault. Went through insurance and have been told my ncd has been reduced to 3 years as it wasn't protected.

The Mrs car insurance is now due for renewal:
    Do I set her up as main driver with 0 years ncd and me as named driver, I will have to put down my recent insurance claim

Do I insure myself as main driver with 3 years ncd and her as named driver.

Thanks

Original Poster

Also, the insurance company I dealt with after my smash told me I shouldnt have used my ncd on my Mrs car as I was using it on my car. In actual fact I had the ncd originally with the car that is now hers, so whether or not I shouldnt have. I have still been able to go through my insurance after a crash with 8 years ncd, most of which was earned on a different car policy which Is still active.
    Edited by: "mart321" 3rd Jun

Original Poster

Any update on this?

gordies

Read the terms and conditions on your own policy. Many insurance … Read the terms and conditions on your own policy. Many insurance policies do NOT allow you to drive any other vehicle these days (keeps your premium down).

​+1, quite often catches people out. Read the small print people

Original Poster

Right amazingly I've just redone the Mrs insurance, last year I was putting in 9 years no claims in my name, her named driver, with no previous insurance claims.

Just redone it in her name with 0 years no claims and me as a named driver, who has now had a recent smash.

The insurance is the cheapest it has ever been. How does this work out
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Phone "Upgrade"35
      2. Best way to use Tesco club card vouchers?77
      3. I want some backless loafers for men11
      4. I am looking Ryman online discount code33

See more discussions