Groups

Funeral advice

Hi, My brother in law is getting cremated on Thursday and apparently the funeral directors have said to my wife's sister because of the "package" they chose the funeral must be paid for on the day! £3,405 to be exact. can they do this? How the heck can anyone afford to pay this amount before the insurance company has paid her?

13 Comments

I would be tempted not to pay just to see what they do. If you brother in law was anything like me he would see the funny side I'm sure. But the best thing to do is to ask the trade association the company is a member of.
    Edited by: "PulisOut" 19th Sep 2016

i would have thought it would be deemed "bad practice" to ask for money on the actual day! im sure they are probably entitled to do it but jeez.

When my mum passed i think they invoiced me around 7 days after

Sorry to hear about your loss. This is dreadful, have never heard of this before especially when your sister in law is grieving.... don't think much about the undertaker!

Name and shame.... that's what I say!!

"How the heck can anyone afford to pay this amount before the insurance company has paid her?"
    A lot of people I would imagine.
    My brother died recently. The funeral director wanted paying obviously. He had insurance. They sent the bill to them of which they paid.

When my mother in law passed we simply arranged for the insurance to be paid directly to the funeral director after the policy had been processed. They were happy with this, might be worth suggesting it to the company you're using.

Banned

PulisOut

I would be tempted not to pay just to see what they do

Not really a clever thing to do under the circumstances is it?

OP. Call the funeral people & tell them the issues. I am sure it will not be a problem if you explain.

Really surprised by this , undertakers usually invoice after the event, especially because a funeral is one of the few bills that can be paid from the deceased bank account and as such undertakers are used to providing an invoice which is taken to the bank and paid this way. I would be tempted to call the undertakers on behalf of your wife's sister to double check this for her.

Surely they'd want payment a few weeks after atleast, can't believe they said hey want paying straight away!

tinkerbellian

Really surprised by this , undertakers usually invoice after the event, … Really surprised by this , undertakers usually invoice after the event, especially because a funeral is one of the few bills that can be paid from the deceased bank account and as such undertakers are used to providing an invoice which is taken to the bank and paid this way. I would be tempted to call the undertakers on behalf of your wife's sister to double check this for her.

You took the words right out of my mouth ! Undertakes usually bill after either the bank or the insurance company .

OP when you say because of the "package" that would indicate to me your sister in law must have some kind of paperwork . I would go through that with a fine toothed comb . Seems a bit strange to expect payment in advance . I paid part of my husband's funeral in advance and the balance they invoiced me for the rest a couple of weeks afterwards .

Most decent ones can do payment plan and sometimes you can get £750 towards it off DWP under certain circumstances.

The OP may find some stuff in here of some use.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Iptv814
      2. How to cancel Virgin Media?812
      3. Mountain bike £200-£30033
      4. Music download22

See more discussions